HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 4:13 AM

Wow, a lot of info indeed! But I thought Bedrock doesn't have any planzz!!!11!!

Looks like they're just gonna use cityclub's parking? I'd rather a new garage not be built so it looks good to me.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 2:45 AM

The crane going up outside the Book Building must be for the partial 14th floor described in that PDF.

Dilapidated Detroit apartments get rehabbed, rent for $800 a month

Quote:
Some of the most sought-after residences in Detroit's fast-rebounding Brush Park neighborhood are not in an ultramodern Dan Gilbert-owned townhouse development or a sleek new luxury condo complex, but a formerly empty and dilapidated rooming house that was nearly demolished.

The Regina, 253 Erskine, is a three-story apartment building from about the 1940s that is attached to an old brick house. It was said to be a rooming house for many years, but by the late 1980s or perhaps even earlier, the building had emptied out and was sliding into disrepair.

David Camilleri, 58, a portrait artist and immigrant from the island of Malta, moved to Detroit and bought the ramshackle Regina shortly before Christmas 2015 for $525,000. The sale price included an empty neighboring lot.

He was one of the few who saw any future in the dilapidated building. Or what was left of the building.

"There were holes in the floors — absolutely nothing salvageable whatsoever," recalled Ryan Cooley of O'Connor Real Estate, the broker on the sale. "So every inch of that place has been redone.”

Historic Detroit church completes three years' worth of repairs with help from community

Quote:
Three years ago, the 130-year-old Sweetest Heart of Mary Catholic Church on Detroit’s east side was forced to repair or remove its two steeples or the city would condemn the building.

The cost to fix the problem would have left the parish devastated.

The 130-year-old Sweetest Heart of Mary Catholic Church faced an unfortunate fate three years ago when its two steeples started falling apart.

To restore the spires, it would have cost $2.5 million. The estimate to remove them: $765,000.

If the church didn’t have enough money to do either, it could have been condemned by the city.

“We saved part of Detroit’s skyline.”

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 10:32 PM

The annual update meeting for The Mid was held on September 17th. The master plan remains unchanged with construction to begin in June 2021.

Historic Detroit Free Press Building Opens Residential Leasing, Includes Rooftop Pool

Quote:
The former Detroit Free Press Building in downtown Detroit will take on a new name when it opens next month following its conversion into 105 residential apartments along with numerous amenities. The building is being developed by Bedrock, the full-service real estate group owned by Dan Gilbert.

The historic structure, designed by renowned Detroit architect Albert Kahn, will be called The Press/321 (321 W. Lafayette Blvd.). The apartments range from studios to three-bedroom units and will be complemented by the Midwest’s first fully automated parking system, a rooftop pool with a sundeck and gas grills, and a state-of-of-the-art fitness center.

Other amenities will include a community work lounge, a conference room, fiber internet, and bike storage. Each apartment will offer expansive windows, stainless steel appliances, an accent wall, and picturesque archways. Studios start at $995 with move-ins beginning in mid-October of this year.

Community lounge

All renderings from here.

The Atlas Lofts poised to rise near Eastern Market

Quote:
The Eastern Market neighborhood will get new residential units with the $7 million conversion of 1440 Gratiot into a development named The Atlas Lofts.

The six-story building, owned by FIRM real estate, was constructed in the 1920s and formerly housed Atlas Furniture Co. The project will include 30 residential loft style units ranging from 360 to 1,300 square feet. There are four ground floor retail spaces that will range from 630 to 1,000 square feet.

Renovation work is expected to begin in the first quarter of 2021 and be complete in spring 2022. Detroit-based design firm Rossetti says the project will blend the history of the neighborhood with modern and stylish architecture.

Bedrock Sakthi purchase includes former Southwestern High School

Quote:
Dan Gilbert's Bedrock real estate arm has purchased the vacant Southwestern High School as part of its acquisition of the former Sakthi Industrial Campus along West Fort, officials confirmed Wednesday.

The school at 6921 W. Fort Street has been closed since 2012 and had fallen into a state of disrepair. The building sits in the same block as the former Sakthi Automotive Group USA plant and is part of Bedrock's purchase of the 37-acre site that includes 529,000 square feet of industrial and manufacturing space, 89,000 square feet of office and flex space.

City to pay to remove dangerous lead from some southwest Detroit homes. Here's how to apply

Quote:
Residents who live in southwest Detroit can now apply to have lead-based paint removed from their homes for free, the city of Detroit announced Thursday.

The city plans to enroll 455 households in the 48209 ZIP code area into the program over five years. Households with children under 6 years old, with a pregnant mother or with children who have tested positive for lead will be prioritized, according to a news release. Residents can get up to $25,000 in repairs per home.

The 48209 ZIP code area in southwest Detroit was chosen because a majority of homes were built before lead-based paint was banned and there is a high number of low-income families and children under 6 living there. It is bound by Vernor Highway to the north, Woodmere to the west, Livernois to the east and I-75 to the south.
Resilient Neighborhoods: These two nonprofits are bringing youth-driven spaces to SW Detroit

Quote:
A couple of years ago, Stephanie Segura, 18, wasn't doing a whole lot outside of going to school and hanging out with her friends. But then, in 2018, the young Southwest Detroiter got involved with a local community organization called Congress of Communities (COC), and the impact it's had on her has been transformative.

"When I got involved with COC, so many opportunities started opening up," she says. "I became more open to seeing the world differently, and I learned about social justice issues, race, and ethnicity, which are important topics I feel are not really discussed at school."

Based in Southwest Detroit, Congress of Communities is a nonprofit advocacy group focused on education and public safety issues and uplifting the voices of local residents. Founded in 2010, it originally came together through a community organizing effort aimed at bringing together the area's diverse residents and stakeholders and fostering cross-community collaboration.

Future youth center

Future youth hub and retail space

Highland Park eco-village raises funds for solar-powered streetlights and free public Wi-Fi network

Quote:
It was in 2011 when Highland Park had its streetlights repossessed by DTE Energy, allowing the city to avoid paying $4 million in unpaid debts.

Now Avalon Village, an eco-village within the city, is taking matters into its own hands.

Avalon Village along with partners Soulardarity and the Michigan Economic Development Corporation have launched a crowdfunding campaign to install five solar-powered streetlights along Avalon Street in Highland Park.

What’s more, the streetlights will provide the neighborhood a free public mesh Wi-Fi network.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 2:33 AM

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 3:19 AM

Construction on Mid town high-rise buildings now two years behind schedule

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...ehind-schedule

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1526 View Post
Where could this be?

https://www.in-formstudio.com/hudroe...utility-plant/

Thanks to DetroitYes
Also the page from their website was removed for some reason

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCres View Post
Also the page from their website was removed for some reason
The wording on the page was ambiguous and since there was no announcement from Bedrock about this project I'm led to believe it was to be kept a secret until an official announcement could be made. But people figured it out anyway, and then it was promptly removed. Probably not a coincidence.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 11:19 AM
somewhere in-between

Bedrock posted a pretty neat virtual tour of several Detroit (/ Bedrock) neighborhoods, including Voigt Park, Brush Park / City Modern, and Downtown. Includes high res, 360-degree views. I don't think it has been shared here yet:

https://bedrockdetroit.viewin360.co/...eless=1&logo=0

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 9:11 PM

Chicago startup Clearcover must eventually open Detroit office to get cash

Quote:
A Chicago-based auto insurance startup has begun filling the first dozen of its planned 303 jobs in Detroit and says it hopes to someday bring all of these remote-work employees into physical office space in the city after the coronavirus pandemic.

The announcement last month that the startup company, Clearcover, had chosen downtown Detroit for its second office over at least two other Midwest cities was celebrated as a big win for the city and region.

The jobs, which include customer support, sales, underwriting and technical support positions, would have an average annual salary of $59,000, plus benefits including "unlimited vacation," a 401K match and equity stakes in the company. The first batch of Detroit jobs are posted on Clearcover's website.

“This is almost the textbook example of what we’ve set out to do and how it results in a great success," said Maureen Donohue Krauss, CEO for the Detroit Regional Partnership, a nonprofit organization founded two years ago to market metro Detroit to out of state and international companies.
Collectively Owned Detroit People’s Food Co-op Is One Step Closer to Opening in the North End

Quote:
The Detroit People’s Food Co-op (DPFC) recently welcomed its 1,000th member, meeting a hard-earned membership goal and putting the organization one step closer toward opening in the city’s historic North End.

In November 2019, Detroit People’s Food Co-op (DPFC) announced their membership campaign with a goal of enrolling 1,000 members to help create a collectively owned, full service grocery store within Detroit city limits. At the time of the announcement the co-op had 407 members. However, Malik Yakini, a founding member of the group building DPFC, tells Eater that the pandemic and Black Lives Matter uprisings across the country helped fuel a massive growth in membership, helping the group meet its enrollment numbers.

Planned Detroit Food Commons to be located at 8324 Woodward at Euclid

Detroit Loves Tacos bringing taste of Guanajuato region of Mexico to North End

Quote:
A Southwest Detroit couple is bringing a taste of Mexico to the North End.

Julie and Jason Stevens have been previewing their upcoming Mexican restaurant through pop-up events this month at 9425 John R. With options ranging from family-inspired comfort food to health-conscious vegan choices, the husband-and-wife team has been previewing their menu for the community before they open their permanent location this year.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 7:34 AM

This thing is f#$%ing awful.

New Development Planned For Detroit's Historic Eastern Market

Quote:
In the intro of our 2018 story on changes in Eastern Market, a beloved historic district that had just seen a flurry of property sales to developers with deep pockets, we zeroed in on a mural that appeared to warn of what was to come.

Located on a building at the corner of Russell and Division streets, the piece by artist Daniel Bombardier suggested the district could fall prey to gentrification going on elsewhere in the city. It featured images of a slimy dollar sign and a closed liquor store and — quite literally — spelled DOOM!

Over the next two years, Linden and Sanford Nelson, the father-son duo who bought the building along with more than a dozen others, would usher in a wave of closures of beloved market staples, including Russell Street Deli and the Farmers Restaurant, all the while insisting they were intent on preserving the market’s character.

Today, there’s news of an uncharacteristic development planned for the site of that building. FIRM Real Estate reportedly plans to break ground on a four-story, glass-enclosed office and retail building in 2021, design websites report. The building will be glass-enclosed and covered in art, a nod to the Murals in the Market event that helped bring renewed attention to the food hub.
Quote:
The first stage of the scheme commenced on September 30, 2020, with construction set to start in 2021.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 11:52 AM

I agree, it’s bloody awful.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 5:03 PM

I think it looks cool as far as the artwork is concerned. My concern is the proportions of the building and the fact that it's all glass don't really fit the style of Eastern Market. It would be better if it resembled more like an industrial building.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:42 PM

I love the artwork, it’s actually a Windsor graffiti artist (DENIAL) that was commissioned to do the murals on this development.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...vrdv-1.5745722

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 4:19 PM

Look, Detroit lacks a variety of architecture relative to other mid to major cities. We have all heard exclamations about Detroit's "amazing collection of Art-Deco era architecture" which is also a euphemism for "Wow, nothing has been built here in a while, huh?"

I'll take, it's different and interesting. And quite frankly whether you immediately like it or not, interesting in the long term usually winds up being revered and attracting positive attention.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablospotatos View Post
Look, Detroit lacks a variety of architecture relative to other mid to major cities.
This is untrue.

Quote:
We have all heard exclamations about Detroit's "amazing collection of Art-Deco era architecture" which is also a euphemism for "Wow, nothing has been built here in a while, huh?"
Uh no, nobody makes note of city's vast pre-war collection because they're trying to make "euphemism". There's tons of mid-century and other stuff in the city, so this is just wrong.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 5:15 PM

Guys, I agree with pablospotatos. I am sure that tourists will take a picture of that building. Room enough in Detroit for more prestigious modern architecture. Fill up those vacant lots.
Has anyone a rendering of the Hudson site tower now that they have reduced the height to 679 ft? On the site of the Shop architects it is not adjusted yet. Please keep us, european Detroit fans posted

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablospotatos View Post
Look, Detroit lacks a variety of architecture relative to other mid to major cities. We have all heard exclamations about Detroit's "amazing collection of Art-Deco era architecture" which is also a euphemism for "Wow, nothing has been built here in a while, huh?"

I'll take, it's different and interesting. And quite frankly whether you immediately like it or not, interesting in the long term usually winds up being revered and attracting positive attention.
I'm all for Detroit building in new styles and getting more modern architecture. That's not why I don't like it. I dislike it because it's gaudy as hell.

I've been contacted by a knowledgable Bedrock employee who wanted to clear some things up that we've discussed in this thread.

1. There's no plans for a parking garage at the Book Tower. They'll be using the garage at Detroit City Club Apartments instead, like we assumed.
2. The Hudroe Utility Plant is cancelled.
3. Monroe Blocks is on hold. The only people who know anything beyond that are close to Dan Gilbert's finances.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 12:16 AM

So I was correct, very glad there's no parking garage going up there.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 12:57 AM

I'm hoping we hear an announcement soon on the future of that 2 story building that was going to be incorporated into the parking garage. I'd imagine they'd want it open at the same time as the rest of the Book Tower complex, or at least have renovations underway at the time of opening.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 3:31 AM

There's all the mid century stuff, and there's Hart Plaza by Isamu Noguchi, and the Ren Cen by John Portman.

Since then there's been One Detroit Center by Phillip Johnson. Cranbrook has a building by Steven Holl. The DIA renovation was by Michael Graves. Hudsons is by SHoP. Is that it? I feel like I'm forgetting something.

Either way though, MVRDV is the highest profile firm to do work here in generations. Detroit was an epicenter of midcentury design, but since then not much has been happening here unfortunately.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations