HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

195 Dundas Street A in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • London Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 4:49 PM

Is there confirmation that this is phase one of the project? Do we know the fencing and asphalt removal isn't just part of some parking lot resurfacing project? I know it makes sense that it's construction progression, but I still just feel too scared to dream big for the downtown just yet.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 5:08 PM

True that may still be the case. But they have blocked off and fenced the west side of the parking lot all the way to King. That would not be the case if they were just going to repave that small corner where the 25s story tower is planned. This definitely looks like early prep for the construction of phase 1.

I'm more worried Ayerswood does not have the financial wherewithal to actually build. They are a much smaller player than Old Oaks, Tricar and York. Having said that there hasn't been a time where borrowing costs have been so low and the demand for residential units so high. Hopefully they strike now while the iron is hot.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 3:36 PM

No new activity on the site in the last 10 days.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 12:00 AM

Good news. The piling drilling machine is now onsite and they have started drilling for foundation.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 3:25 AM

So is the sight fenced off?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 4:26 PM

Excavator striping the surface on the alleyway to Dundas St today. Dump trucks hauling away materials. Caisson piling drilling machine still drilling and concrete pours into the piling holes. The foundation for this 25s will be interesting to see given there doesn't appear to be any basement levels.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 10:46 PM

They've laid some kind of water pipe right down the middle of the alleyway it seems. And they do have a fair bit of materials and equipment on site.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 3:21 AM

Will the entry from Dundas be for the condo only or will there be retail fronting it?

Also, are they building all 3 towers at the same time?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Will the entry from Dundas be for the condo only or will there be retail fronting it?

Also, are they building all 3 towers at the same time?
Unless they changed the plans again, the space from the building to Dundas is supposed to be open air. Similar I guess to the open space west of Richmond that connects Dundas to the market. I think it was said in the media or maybe even referenced in this thread earlier, that the space was to complement Dundas Place. I'm not sure what the plan is to stop that area from just becoming a street person hangout.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 3:10 PM
User Registered

I used to cut through this parking lot during my lunch break downtown to save a little time getting to Dundas. It was always a sketchy lot and I sometimes felt unsafe- I wonder how the workers are doing with all the crazies nearby.

I guess that parking lot isn't needed as much with folks like myself working from home nowadays.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 3:55 PM

You can see in the photo that they have kept a walkway open to the back of the King St building. I believe that the only entrance to the supervised drug site is back there. I hope its a good strong fence so no one wanders into the construction site.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 7:41 PM

That laneway off Dundas to the left of the construction fence isn't actually part of the property being developed.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 10:53 PM

I hope these 3 buildings are being moved forward with. This will help with condensing the housing areas to support more homes (condos/apartments)in a more controllable overall outcome. More condensing and higher elevations with these types of construction projects will always be more helpful and beneficial for other areas to be developed in future growths as time will move forward. I truly believe in the higher they build, the more overall green space and open areas are going to be available down the road. I actually would really love to start seeing GTA developers come into London and propose buildings in the 500 to 600+ ranges.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 11:03 PM

+100

It's about density and the only way to get it is to build higher. Thousands of more units are needed in the core and that will bring life to the downtown which will drive a food scene and retail and bring groceries and entertainment.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 11:08 PM

I agree with you 100% on that!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 2:56 PM

Piling machine still on site and drilling was continuing this past week on SW corner around the current foundation of the 10 story building. Eventually they will have to put down pilings all around the current edge of the parking lot when phase 2 is started if ever.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
+100

It's about density and the only way to get it is to build higher. Thousands of more units are needed in the core and that will bring life to the downtown which will drive a food scene and retail and bring groceries and entertainment.
Absolutely true. Once the population begins to rise dramatically and with the plethora of new towers proposed for the Core as well, businesses begin to look downtown for start-ups and expansion. It creates a critical mass and feeds upon itself..........a crowd draws a crowd and businesses follow them.

It is important to remember thou that when talking about the resurgence of the downtown population it is very important to not only look at just the raw numbers but also the demographic make-up.

The towers going up are not low-income buildings. These are condos and high-end apartments. In other words these are relatively high income people with higher levels of disposable income who can spend a much higher proportion of their income on restaurants, entertainment, and non-essential shopping.

Equally important is that with these higher income and educated people comes political power. They will be demanding higher levels of civic infrastructure, policing, and a crack down on vagrancy and drug users and the City, unlike for lower income citizens, will listen and respond accordingly.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 7:42 PM

Drilling machine has completed its work now and is being prepped to be trucked away. Will be interesting to see how they plan to handle the footings for this building next.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 4:38 PM

Have dug out most of building pit now. About 2-3 meters deep. Piling machine is gone.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 5:45 PM

Digging the pit continues today.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates