HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Does anyone really think the height is going to survive the ULURP, i.e. NIIMBY soapbox, unscathed?
DeBlasio controls ULURP. If they want the height, they'll get the height.

And this is downtown Brooklyn, not the Village or UWS. Not residential or historic, and few bazillionaire NIMBYs.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 2:03 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The governor is quite pro-development. He is really aiming for his affordable housing goal.

Its a good political climate to be in.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 4:02 AM
New Yorker for life

https://80flatbush.com/about

Quote:
Context for Density

As early as the 1920s, the area around Atlantic Terminal was identified as an important commercial hub and dubbed Brooklyn’s “midtown district.”
Since then, Flatbush Avenue has emerged as Brooklyn’s skyscraper corridor with the borough’s tallest buildings stretching from the former
Williamsburgh Savings Bank (built in 1929) to the 1,066 foot-tall 9 Dekalb, which is currently under construction. A wide avenue richly served
by transportation, Flatbush Ave represents one of the best places for growth in the borough. We must take advantage of opportunities to provide
economic development, new housing stock, and public infrastructure where we can.

https://www.archdaily.com/889072/dow...schools-by-aro

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 4:29 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 5:01 AM

I don't think height should be so much of an issue here, but its a classic NIMBY argument. Density and sightlines are the bigger problem here. It would be a shame to have One Hanson disappear from the skyline for something less worthy, albeit taller. I think its the shorter phase 1 tower which will block more views of Brooklyn's iconic skyscraper. Though in the end, there's 9 DeKalb to look forward to, and that will probably remain unblocked forever.

Last edited by Hudson11; Feb 15, 2018 at 5:33 AM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Does anyone really think the height is going to survive the ULURP, i.e. NIIMBY soapbox, unscathed?
If the mayor wants to hit his affordable housing quota, he needs big developments like this which has 200 affordable units.

It's important to note that with ULURP, any and all Community Board input is advisory and non binding. They submit recommendations to the Borough President, who then submits a recommendation to the City Planning Commission, who's verdict is binding.

Maybe I'm being hopeful, but with the affordable housing component, and the new public schools, I imagine this largely survives.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:23 PM
BANNED

Lol too much density my ass. There is a housing shortage in NYC and we need mega developments if anyone not obsessed with making well into the six figures is going to be able to stay here. If the city doesn't respond fast, it's going to lose all of it's cultural capital and be left with nothing but greed. Build as many affordable and low-income units as possible so the folks in Brooklyn Heights have to come to terms with their arms-length social justice problem.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:12 AM

This project should move forward !!!

Last edited by peteybrooklyn1959; Feb 16, 2018 at 5:16 AM. Reason: delete

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

#88 Report Post
Unread Posted Today, 5:12 AM

Wait a minute....NYguy...Are you for this project or against it ?? This is Downtown Brooklyn and or bordering that area on Flatbush Avenue...Because of that why should density matter ??? ...This is an incredible "Transit Friendly" project which includes the 200 units of affordable housing and incorporates 2 historic buildings and enhances the skyline of Downtown Brooklyn as well as building a school to enhance the current Khalil Gibran International Academy that a spokesman for the academy said was a "once in a lifetime opportunity" as well as being touted by stating that “it is hard to find a more transit-rich development spot in the five boroughs” on the building’s site as well as being hailed by transit activists in the city by stating that this project is a prime example of transit orientated development and why shouldn't Downtown Brooklyn be entitled to enjoy the same skyline as Lower and Midtown Manhattan ??? This project also enhances the continued re-birth of an area and enhances the aesthetics of that area too (the current building that's there is a complete eyesore and of little use to a downtown region) of the city that 20 years ago...you wouldn't want to have been there after 6 pm at night and as long as it doesn't change the character and the people that currently live there shouldn't this project move forward ??? So what if the developer requests a rezoning change that triples the current FAR for that piece of land even if it's triple to what is current zoned. Don't the benefits exceed the costs ????....And what about the tax revenues and construction jobs that will come with this project ??? Anyone opposed to this project is classic nymbyism in my humble opinion. If they can build a 1066 foot mixed used building at 90 Dekalb, why shouldn't we have a 986 foot transit friendly mixed used tower with much needed office space just a few blocks away ??? Isn't that progress ????

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 2:07 PM
BANNED

Another amazing project for the greatest city in America.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
If the mayor wants to hit his affordable housing quota, he needs big developments like this which has 200 affordable units.

It's important to note that with ULURP, any and all Community Board input is advisory and non binding. They submit recommendations to the Borough President, who then submits a recommendation to the City Planning Commission, who's verdict is binding.

Maybe I'm being hopeful, but with the affordable housing component, and the new public schools, I imagine this largely survives.
You guys are misunderstanding my comment on the proposed height. This project most likely will move forward, but perhaps not as proposed.

NIMBYs will do their best to chop down the height, but the project will still get built, just shorter and/or smaller. That’s what NIMBYs do, they try to reduce the scale of a project and the ULURP is their great chance.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 2:40 PM
BANNED

This is a lot shorter than SHoP's tower next to Junior's.

I think that it will rise to the full height.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 2:43 PM

The number of school seats proposed needs to be doubled IMO.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 4:46 PM

Quote:
You guys are misunderstanding my comment on the proposed height. This project most likely will move forward, but perhaps not as proposed.

NIMBYs will do their best to chop down the height, but the project will still get built, just shorter and/or smaller. That’s what NIMBYs do, they try to reduce the scale of a project and the ULURP is their great chance.
I agree, I think this will move forward.

My point is the Mayor will want as many affordable units as possible out of this project, and in order to subsidize those units the developer will need to build as many market rate units as possible, which will mean taller.

Again, I agree this will move forward, NIMBY's will fight this tooth and nail, and we may see a height reduction to appease them, but ultimately it comes down to the Mayor as community input is advisory for ULURP.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steyin View Post
The number of school seats proposed needs to be doubled IMO.
As someone who lives nearby, and has a small child, I couldn't agree more. Schools in this part of Brooklyn are extremely crowded.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 7:34 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/marke...-skyline/15887

Trifecta of Towers to Remake the Brooklyn Skyline

By Ondel Hylton
February 15, 2018

Quote:
Brooklyn’s ascent as New York’s borough of cool has been mirrored in the growth of its once humble skyline. The borough’s beloved clock tower at One Hanson Place (512’ tall) held the title of Brooklyn’s tallest for some 80 years only to be topped by four conventional high-rises finished in the last decade. The new towers - The Brooklyner (531’), 388 Bridge Street (590’), Avalon Willoughby Square (595' or 624'), and current tallest (or is it?) Hub (610’) - have sometimes been accused of not living up to the borough’s creative spirit. Now, a new wave of spires will nip at the ephemeral title, but this time will soar in both height and style as the borough grows in affluence.

Three new towers, two of them supertalls, are poised to straddle Downtown Brooklyn's Flatbush Avenue. Originally a Native American trail, the burgeoning skyscraper corridor has long been anchored by the Williamsburgh Savings Bank and Atlantic Terminal — the city’s second-largest transit hub that is home to 28 train and bus lines. In the late 1920s, the area was slated to become Brooklyn’s “Midtown district,” and now, a century later, a necklace of towers are rising to take full advantage of its rich transportation options, the resurgence of brownstone Brooklyn and the proximity to Manhattan.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 5:06 PM

What's the building to left of 9 Dekalb that's unmarked?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 5:06 PM
Show me the blueprints

I'm licking my chops at the fact that the hideous Atlantic Center Mall is in inevitably going to be replaced as well. It may take 10 more years but it's time is near. That property could be an amazing tower as well.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 7:16 PM
New Yorker for life

^
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...2&postcount=16

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
What's the building to left of 9 Dekalb that's unmarked?
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=217583

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteybrooklyn1959 View Post
Wait a minute....NYguy...Are you for this project or against it ??
Just noticed this. Who said I was against it?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 7:59 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Ahh yes, I forgot about that. That was 2 years ago? Jeeez

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals