HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 3:19 PM
Developer

That arena seems really close to the river. What are the flooding chances? Does that waterfront park ever flood?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchMadness View Post
That arena seems really close to the river. What are the flooding chances? Does that waterfront park ever flood?
The arena is very close to the river. Louisville is a river city and city officials thought it best to utilize that concept in the development of a multi-purpose arena. The cost of the arena includes flood prevention and revamped floodwalls, however this portion of downtown Louisville is kind of elevated a little bit that usually keeps the areas in the CBD from flooding. The park, however, does flood sometimes. I've never seen significant flooding however. Last September, Louisville received a record 8-12 inches of rain in a single day. I went downtown to take pictures and the water hadn't even crested over the outermost point of Waterfront Park. Kinda odd I guess, but to answer your question, I guess it doesn't ever significantly flood.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw87a View Post
Louisville's downtown is seeing a rebirth and thriving. At the center of it all, a believeable catalyst is Waterfront Park. The park received the highest honor for any urban park in the United States in 2002, the Phoenix Award. Home to the 'Great Lawn' which features concerts and summer festivals, playgrounds and landscaping, planned and started condominiums, riverside restaurants, Slugger Field Baseball Stadium, water features, rowing and sporting facilities, and an amphitheater, Waterfront Park proves to have something for the whole family. Waterfront Park is just minutes from Louisville's thriving entertainment district and museum row. The park is directly responsible for millions in investments in the housing and retail sectors in the area. It is also home to one of the nation's best skate parks.
At the center will be the Big Four pedestrian bridge. It will be constructed from an abandoned bridge currently in place. It is said to be the new largest pedestrian-only bridge in the world after construction. However, I've also read that it will be the second largest after construction. The competitor: the Purple People's Bridge connecting Cincinnati, Ohio, to Newport, Kentucky. Either way, Kentucky will be home to the two largest pedestrian-only bridges in the world. Here are some renderings and links to articles. The last link here mentions it could be open by 2009!
Right now I'm going to NKU (it's a couple minutes away from Cincy) and I saw the Purple people bridge from the levee and to me, it seems like the Big 4 bridge would eat the Purple People bridge for lunch. I don't think the width of the Ohio river up here is anywhere near the width down in Louisville. Anyway, I can't wait for the bridge to be finished!

bw87a, don't forget about 1997. That's odd that the river didn't cover any part of waterfront park that day. I remember going down to the river about a month ago and the water was covering the outer edge of the Great Lawn, and i don't think there was any major storms prior.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudvayneimn View Post
Right now I'm going to NKU (it's a couple minutes away from Cincy) and I saw the Purple people bridge from the levee and to me, it seems like the Big 4 bridge would eat the Purple People bridge for lunch. I don't think the width of the Ohio river up here is anywhere near the width down in Louisville. Anyway, I can't wait for the bridge to be finished!

bw87a, don't forget about 1997. That's odd that the river didn't cover any part of waterfront park that day. I remember going down to the river about a month ago and the water was covering the outer edge of the Great Lawn, and i don't think there was any major storms prior.
well Waterfront Park wasn't open during the 1997 flood. And I believe that there have been some flood precautions taken during the development of the park itself. I know the park does flood. I just found it very odd that it wasn't flooding when Louisville received its largest rainfall in a single day. It was close. Within inches of coming into the lawn, but it never did...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 4:41 AM

When SSC comes back, I will post my compiled list of major projects in Louisville. There is not enough Louisville love on this forum, to be sure.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 9:46 AM

I think this sums up all the major business. I have a residential development list on SSC also, but its mostly smaller condo projects and rehabs.

Museum Plaza

703ft/61 floors
Residential, Office/Retail, Westin Hotel, Contemporary Art Museum
COMPLETE: 2010

RiverPark Place

PHASE ONE:Two towers/16 floors
Residential, Marina

MASTER PLAN

Downtown Bridge

center tower- 210ft
COMPLETE: 2020

Downtown Arena

Will house the University of Louisville men's and women's basketball teams
Arena, Hotel, Retail

Iron Quarter

12-20+ (floor/height undetermined)
Office, Retail

Zirmed Gateway Towers

12 and 10 floors
Office, Retail
COMPLETE: 2008

LOUISVILLE 2010

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 6:56 AM

yeah, uhhh, basically what i said

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 7:40 PM

Louiville, Ky still growth

Louisville more Development

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 10:10 PM

i am most excited about center city. it will bring alot more people downtown I'm sure, and also bring in new business. And it will have the condo tower. I also just read in the newspaper that the owner of the hilliard lyons center downtown is planning on turning that into an embassy suites and also, next to it, will be a "much taller" condo tower.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 4:08 AM

I saw this today in the Courier-Journal:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...=2007712080445

The project includes two 12 stories towers to hold offices with retail space on the lower level. I personally think it would have preferred a single tower 20-30 stories in height than two 12 story buildings. However, it's obviously a good development for Louisville.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 4:02 PM

Heres an image of the previously mentioned development

It looks straight out of 1987, but its still new development!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 5:13 PM

The building is actually going to be much higher than 12 stories. The article says that the 12 story towers will be built on top of a 8 story parking structure. Even though 2 parking levels will be underground, the whole structure will be more like 18 stories.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 6:21 AM

Hey everyone, I took a trip downtown to take some pics of some of the contruction going on. Here are a few photos of the continuing work to enclose the substation on 3rd st, and WPP phase 3. I decided to leave the house wearing a track jacket, and well, it didn't work out too well so I snapped a few pics and left. Anywho, enjoy!
The Substation

Waterfront Park Place Phase II

Old Posted Dec 23, 2007, 6:17 PM

What Vencor Would Have Looked Like?

Hey I don't know if anyone has seen this yet, but there is a pretty nice tower complex almost finished in Madrid Spain. It consists of 4 towers, and one of them is pretty much a taller, slimmer version of the old and dead Vencor Tower proposal here. Take a look at these posts (1, 2) to get an idea of how the tower would've looked. If Vencor was as tall/slim as the tower in the pics, my opinion on MP might have been a little different!:nuts:

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 2:09 AM

Hey all, on my way to the MP site I decided to take a few of WPP Phase II and the continuing work on enclosing the substation/

WPP

Substation Work

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 3:03 PM

Even though Waterfront Park Place seems to be almost complete, it looks like facade on the end of it is ready for a future extension, because it has not been done in all brick like the rest of it. Does anybody know anything about that?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 2:50 PM

According to Fox41's Business First segment last night, a local developer (Barrister Commercial Group) is eyeing a piece of property just north of cityhall to put up a, what looked like 30 story highrise office tower. It will be built if Humana expands like it said it will. The block is currently used as a parking lot for the city, but the city is willing to sell it.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 4:47 PM

Source: Business First, Friday Jan 18th

-----------
"Louisville-based real estate developer Barrister Commercial Group LLC wants to build a $130 million, 25-story office tower downtown and is in talks with Louisville-Jefferson County Metro Government to acquire the land where it could be built.

Barrister hopes to buy a 1.7-acre parcel on the south side of West Market Street between Sixth and Seventh streets. The property currently is a surface parking lot for city vehicles.

Mike Brown, Barrister's director of business development, said he is in discussions with Bruce Traughber, secretary of the Louisville Metro Economic Development Cabinet, about acquiring the property.

Barrister, a company led by Louisville attorney Frank Csapo, is not requesting any city incentives to develop the building, Brown said."
----------

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 6:21 PM

Rendering of New Proposed 380ft Tower.

This was posted by Urbler on SSC:

Rendering from Baker Barrios Architects, Atlanta Office

If built, Capital Plaza will fit right in the "gap" between MP and Humana. The developer is currently in the process of aquiring the land (currently a surface lot) from the Louisville Metro gov't.

Last edited by mudvayneimn; Jan 22, 2008 at 8:09 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 7:22 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Louisville is awesome. I have not been there in 5 years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations