HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Lol the Toll bros. aren't redeveloping this.. It's the Post Brothers and they redoing the factory before building the two apartment buildings. They own the north side of the 800 and 900 blocks of poplar. APOM is the developer of the new buildings on that 800 block that Post Brothers owns.
that project is moving SLOWLY. When I pass by in the morning I see like 5 guys on site.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
that project is moving SLOWLY. When I pass by in the morning I see like 5 guys on site.
It's unsurprising. This building has been through litigation hell.

Trade union politics derail N. Philadelphia apartment proposal

Quote:

When the board rejected a developer's proposal last week to build apartments in a vacant West Poplar warehouse zoned for industrial use, it didn't merely condemn a blighted building to stand empty. Its 4-to-1 vote also killed an innovative agreement that would have created dozens of good-paying jobs for minorities.

Unlike the deal Kenney arranged, this one was reached directly between the community association, Richard Allen Homes New Generation, and the developer, Post Bros., specifically for the conversion of the massive Quaker warehouse and Ninth and Poplar. Post's owners, Matt and Mike Pestronk, pledged that 50 percent of the construction crew for the $100 million project would be black, Hispanic, or Asian, and that 10 percent of the total workforce would come from the West Poplar area. The outcome thrilled the largely African American neighborhood, said Bruce Crawley, a former neighborhood resident who helped found the civic association and helped broker the agreement.

The catch is that Post would need to employ significant numbers of nonunion workers to meet those ambitious hiring targets because so few minorities have been admitted into Philadelphia's insular building trades.

The deal did not sit well with the five-member Zoning Board, which is dominated by union officials, including Anthony Gallagher, business manager of Steamfitters Local 420, and Confessor Plaza, a field representative with Laborers' Union Local 57.
A few months late:
Court Strikes Down Zoning Board's Political Ruling in Quaker Building Case

Quote:
In this case, the No vote was entirely political. The building trades have a controlling vote on the ZBA, and at the hearing, things started going south for the Quaker proposal after a project supporter brought up that Post had struck a minority hiring agreement as a condition for receiving support from one of the RCOs, Richard Allen Homes. The project supporter saw this as a selling point, but for the ZBA it was a major demerit since the building trades members are mostly white men from the suburbs of Philly and South Jersey. ZBA members discovered a newfound sentimentality for industrial uses and voted it down.

The Board was nearly embarrassed into holding a rare revote after they received a lot of critical media attention, but then they declined to do that, leaving the issue to the Court of Common Pleas to decide. Now the Court has decided, and they reversed the ZBA's decision.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
I hate to be the "well, actually" guy, but I believe that's a Post Bros project, not Toll Bros
No, by all means, I deserve it.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 1:48 PM

Hey everyone I'm a construction inspector for SEPTA and have been assigned to this project for the next couple of weeks. I'm here while they set up scaffolding for the 9th street side of the Quaker Building (which sits above the railroad aqueduct) in order to redo the window sills.

I've heard from a Post employee that they plan to finish the lobby and upper floors first and have people move in while the lower floors are still being worked on. I don't know anything about an expected date for that, but if I find out anything more I will let you guys now.

In regards to the new buildings, the employee I talked to (who is a construction supervisor) didn't even have any idea of what they're planning. I got the impression from him that Post is really prioritizing the Piazza Pod Park project at the moment, so they probably won't finish here until that is done.

P.S. I took a bunch of pictures of both the Quaker Building exterior and the 6th floor interior but I was having trouble making a Flickr account so hopefully I'll have a post including those soon.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 1:49 AM

http://www.rising.realestate/inside-...at-9th-poplar/

Looks like the renovation of the Quaker Building is finishing up. It ended up looking great inside and outside, especially the pool deck section. I will say I'm not sure that I'm the biggest fan of the blue paint, but it's a massive improvement regardless.

Last edited by RowanGrad; Jan 21, 2021 at 2:18 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 12:58 AM

I'm not sure if this is a harbinger to the start of construction, as this site has been used for the storage of materials related to street improvements in the area; however, I did see some activity earlier:

I really hope that this project will commence! It would be nice to have some added density so close to a portion of Girard Avenue that's really set to boom over the next few years.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 9:41 AM
Philly Pholly

Hope so
This is a great project

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 3:32 PM

I’m like 95% sure this project isn’t a highrise anymore, but the scaled down renders still look good.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 4:03 PM

^^Same. Pretty sure this has been reduced to 6 or 7 floors. Can anyone verify? If so, we'll close the thread.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
^^Same. Pretty sure this has been reduced to 6 or 7 floors. Can anyone verify? If so, we'll close the thread.
Permit was issued last week for one of the new construction sites that specifies 5 stories.

Quote:
FOR THE ERECTION OF A FIVE (5) STORY BUILDING FOR USE AS THE FOLLOWING: TWELVE (12) SURFACE PARKING SPACES, TWO (2) OF THEM SURFACE ACCESSIBLE PARKING SPACES. TWENTY (20) CLASS 1A BICYCLE PARKING SPACES LOCATED ON AN ACCESSIBLE ROUTE; VACANT COMMERCIAL (SEPARATE USE PERMIT/FITOUT TO BE OBTAINED PRIOR TO OCCUPANCY); SECOND-FLOOR THROUGH FIFTH-FLOOR MULTI-FAMILY HOUSEHOLD LIVING (60 UNITS); WITH A ROOF DECK AT THE 2TH FLOOR LEVEL TO CONTAIN ACCESSORY AMENITIES. BUILDING IS COMPOSED OF TWO DIFFERENT CONSTRUCTION TYPES (TYPE IA (FIRST FLOOR LEVEL) AND TYPE IIB CONSTRUCTION (SECOND-FIFTH FLOOR LEVEL)). BUILDING IS FULLY SPRINKLERED IN ACCORDANCE WITH NFPA 13 AND STANDPIPES TO BE PROVIDED IN THE EXIT STAIRWAYS PER NFPA 14. ALL WORK TO BE DONE PER APPROVED PLANS. IF FIELD CONDITIONS VARY CONTACT DESIGN ENGINEER PRIOR TO THE START OF ANY WORK. **A COVERED WALKWAY OR SIDEWALK CLOSURE SHALL BE REQUIRED WITHIN 19 FEET OF THE BUILDING FACADE IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 3306 OF THE 2018 IBC. SEPARATE BUILDING AND/OR STREETS DEPARTMENT PERMIT REQUIRED PRIOR TO THE START OF ANY WORK. SEPARATE PERMITS TO BE OBTAINED FOR ALL OTHER WORK. *2018 IBC REVIEW*
CP-2020-002954

The architects website also shows both new buildings are the same size so there is definitely no longer a high rise portion of the project.
Link.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 12:01 AM

unfortunate, this has been stalled for while and they are using the lot as storage for materials for the Poplar project.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 3:28 PM

Yep. Downsized to 5 floors. We'll close this thread and all future updates on the project can be posted in the Lowrise/General Developments thread. Still huge for the area in my opinion!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive