HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 11:14 PM

Thanks, Hoss, for figuring out the mystery location of the young man working on his car.

.........................................This, no doubt, shows the young man's wife and big-headed baby.

ebay

.................................................................^ ^ note the Sunset bridge in the distance.

Thanks again, Hoss!

no offense to big headed babies

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 7, 2019 at 12:35 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 11:40 PM

Negative for Sale

mystery rooftop, Santa Monica 1939.

"Vintage 1939 Old Photo Neg. Bird's Eye View of SANTA MONICA California Buildings."

EBAY

Does anyone have an idea where, and on what rooftop, the photographer was standing when he took this pic?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 7, 2019 at 12:14 AM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 12:05 AM

The same Ebay seller has this second negative for sale.

"Rare 1930's Vintage Aireal View PHOTO of Santa Monica & Malibu Beach HWY 1 CA"

EBAY

It's a very intriguing image...but I think it might be reversed.

The seller included this second, flipped, version. Unfortunately, it isn't as clear as the first image.

If I'm not mistaken, this is Santa Monica Canyon..with Chautauqua Blvd. down below at lower left.

The photograph appears to show flood damage.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 7, 2019 at 12:36 AM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 12:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
Please explain how the moon landings relates to NLA. I don't get the connection.

FlyingWedge finds me so fascinating that he follows me around the Internet like a stalker. Very flattering. Also I have never told the Mod of this thread to ''screw off". If I have, please post the link. Bruce and I are friends and I would never do that.

Also, this post by Flyingwedge is a form of Doxxing which is illegal and can get one into a lot of trouble.

Note that he creates his post to me as if it appeared in the NLA thread.......it appeared in YouTube.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Apr 8, 2019 at 3:41 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 1:53 AM

don't take this argument any further.

CBD, your snide comment, earlier today, really pissed FW off. ...I am sure, once he simmers down, he will delete the conspiracy theories.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Please explain how the moon landings relates to NLA. I don't get the connection.
Large portions of the rockets and other equipment were designed, built and tested here in LA. When I was a youngster out in Thousand Oaks in the mid-60's, about once a week we'd hear a loud roar and the windows would start rattling due to the tests of the rocket engines at Rockwell's Santa Susana Field Laboratory.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Opps.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 3:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
[/URL]

CBD, your snide comment, earlier today, really pissed FW off. ...I am sure, once he simmers down, he will delete the conspiracy theories.
I never said that remark imagined by FW....If I did I would like to see the link. Bruce and I are friends and I would never say ''screw off" to him.

By the many follow-on posts I must be the most fascinating person on NLA. Flattering but in a negative way.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 4:06 AM

Quote:

EBAY

The seller included this second, flipped, version. Unfortunately, it isn't as clear as the first image.

If I'm not mistaken, this is Santa Monica Canyon..with Chautauqua Blvd. down below at lower left.

My Uncle Dave had this pic in the hallway of his office in Pendleton NY. No idea why?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 7:37 PM

chippendales

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

A 1982 episode of CHiPs, "Trained for Trouble", visited Chippendales - the storyline involved a stripper who looked like Ponch. According to this Wiki page about the episode, "...the club finally closed its doors on December 15, 1988, located at 3739 Overland Avenue...". That's only 100 yards north of the building you posted, e_r. It's now an adult day care.

GSV

Here's a screengrab I made of the sign.

chips-tv.com
I used to live around the corner from '87 to '92 and would walk to the corner of Overland and Venice on Friday nights just to pass the line of ladies waiting to get in. Dressed to the nines and ready for some (gay) man flesh.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 7:45 PM

Godzilla, I very much enjoyed your post about La Brea. I drive this section of La Brea almost daily.

By the way, there is a huge new building in the works on the east side of La Brea between San Vicente and Pico. It takes up nearly the entire block. That seems to be the thing these days.

I think it's going to be a Target store.

Meanwhile, a little further north at La Brea and Willoughby...

The number of new construction projects in the area is simply jaw-dropping. And they are all massive buildings.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
I used to live around the corner from '87 to '92 and would walk to the corner of Overland and Venice on Friday nights just to pass the line of ladies waiting to get in. Dressed to the nines and ready for some (gay) man flesh.
Admit it - you were jonesing for some Jack-in-the-Box.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 8:53 PM

Quote:

EBAY

Yeah that is Santa Monica Canyon. That little building on the beach in the middle of the image is still there. I believe the picture is showing the aftermath of the flood of 1938.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
The Junior Orpheum Building is in the 1923 city directory at 815 S. Hill Street. The name "Junior Orpheum" was soon discarded
in favor of "Hillstreet" (one word).

Whatever the building's name, HossC did a nice post on the building and its theater, which later became the RKO Hillstreet.
That was a beautiful theater. Very understated and elegant compared to some of the wilder ones in town.

source

Seems like a lot of theaters that weren't on Broadway didn't fare too well. Hard to believe they tore down this beauty and put a parking garage and a Shake Shack in its place.

Current streetview: https://goo.gl/maps/Np9nays7zGT2

What is interesting is that three of the four corners on 8th and Hill still have historic buildings standing there. This was the only one to get the wrecking ball

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 12:25 AM

Could someone with an ImageShack account get me these photos?

I posted this years ago when, apparently but now completely forgotten, I had an Imageshack account. I see now that ImageShack wants money, but I already have a Flickr Pro account and don't see why I should have two photo hosting services.

If any of you can access these images and wants to send me copies, please let me know by PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm! View Post
I know this is somewhat tangential to the thread, since it isn't about buildings or architecture as such; but even so I think many here will appreciate the following pictures of vintage styled street lamps. I noticed them on the Overland Avenue bridge over the 10 freeway.

I've noticed quite a few retro lamps here and there, particularly after street widening projects and the like. The standards and casings feature an extra curlicue here and there so you can tell that the designer was aiming for a vague quasi-retro effect; at the same time it's still obviously of contemporary manufacture. The same is true of these, but they do carry through the simulation much more effectively.

Although I didn't notice them right away, I was mildly astonished by the fact that they feature what appear to be chimneys. Here's a closer look:

Some days after I noticed them we were driving home over this bridge, after dark. I couldn't fail to notice the rich yellowish hue of the light coming from these lamps. Making a mental note to return next evening with the good camera, I did so and got this shot:

Gadzooks! I was amazed to see what looks like a gas flame! In fact, I was so amazed that I groped instinctively for my smelling salts, only to remember that I had left them in my other suit. As it happens I've recently learned that there are other cities where, even today, gaslight is used extensively or even exclusively for public street lighting, so I had to wonder: Was it possible? As it turns out, not in this case. Lumec Philips, the manufacturer, offers a Victorian Series of electric street lamps intended to resemble the gas lamps of old. They're quite effective at that.

Still, even from looking at my own pictures I can't make out exactly how they do work. Clearly, the light doesn't come from within the chimney, but rather above it. In the daylight closeup (second in this post) you can see a bulb-like structure that appears to be fastened to the top hanging down, as it were. But there seems to be a hole at the bottom of this "bulb" Now that I look at this picture again, I notice what appears to be a filament, or perhaps a tiny inner bulb; I now believe that in the nighttime shot, the brightness of this component is such that it washes out the details.

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcamb View Post
My Uncle Dave had this pic in the hallway of his office in Pendleton NY. No idea why?
If he's still alive, ask him jdcamb. I'd like to know as well.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post

There is a huge new building in the works on the east side of La Brea between San Vicente and Pico. It takes up nearly the entire block. That seems to be the thing these days.

I think it's going to be a Target store.

Meanwhile, a little further north at La Brea and Willoughby...

The number of new construction projects in the area is simply jaw-dropping. And they are all massive buildings.

The "Target" is being constructed on the SE corner of San Vicente and La Brea is where the unusually shaped building (1324-1328 S. La Brea) once stood.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...id/1392/rec/31

The Construction on the NE corner of Willoughby and La Brea was where the once venerable Moderncraft Laundry stood (900 N. La Brea). FWIW, I am informed that there is a demo notice of some sort posted at the 1946 building at 1025 S La Brea.

LAPL http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=10393

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 3:40 AM

A mystery location for a Sunday evening.

Dreadnaught Market, Los Angeles.

EBAY

HERE'S A CLOSER LOOK.

EBAY

Oddly enough, if you look closely at the inside wall [on the right] it says Ellingson's Grocery with an arrow pointing to the rear of the building.

DETAIL

There is, obviously, groceries in the front as well...so I have no idea what this sign means.

The word, dreadnaught, has only appeared twice in the thread. (both times relating to ships)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 8, 2019 at 3:54 AM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 5:13 AM

What's more, it's in the Dreadnaught Building:

And is that an address? Maybe 670x (can't even guess at the last numeral)?

I find no mention in the Los Angeles Times for the Dreadnaught Market nor for Ellingson's Grocery.

Sorry, e_r.

EDIT ADD:

The Dreadnaught Drug Store is recorded as at 6701 S. Normandie in the Los Angeles 1929 CD. "We Are in Business For Your Health," quoth they.

YET ANOTHER EDIT ADD:

Looky! 6701 S. Normandie is a market!

gsv

Last edited by odinthor; Apr 8, 2019 at 5:52 AM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

It's in the Dreadnaught Building:

And is that an address? Maybe 670x (can't even guess at the last numeral)?

I find no mention in the Los Angeles Times for the Dreadnaught Market nor for Ellingson's Grocery.

The Dreadnaught Drug Store is recorded as at 6701 S. Normandie in the Los Angeles 1929 CD.
Excellent sleuthing odinthor. I'm impressed you were able to make out 'Dreadnaught' on the door. I'm still having some difficulty seeing it. *rubs eyes*

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos