HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 2:20 PM

^ Upgrade to the baggage system sounds good, but I wonder what it will look like when they're done? There isn't a ton of space behind the check-in counters for more equipment. Or is it all at the back end?

I'm also curious about this additional retail... I'm not sure where they can squeeze in more without starting to really cut into the waiting area space.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 5:00 PM

^^ It says "new retail options" not additional ones. It could just be that existing locations are changing to new operators.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 5:11 PM

Good news about the upgrades!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^ It says "new retail options" not additional ones. It could just be that existing locations are changing to new operators.
Yeah, I was wondering about that. If it's just replacements then that's not really news... there has been a slow but steady turnover of shops pretty well since the terminal opened.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 7:35 PM

Some new renders of the aviation museum:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz0zcRvApMf/

ldaengineers: The Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada is flying to a new location! -

The new museum will be an eye pleasing architectural marvel that will greet guest flying in and out of Winnipeg International Airport. The Museum will showcase both historical and new aviation technology in a new engaging environment. This multi-million dollar project will draw a new light onto Canada’s aviation history and future. -

Teamed up with @architecture49 , LDA was “soaring” to be a part of this massive project as the Engineer of Recorded. We are Proud to help bring the Aviation Museum to a new Home where Canadians and travelers from all around may visit and enjoy.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 7:56 PM
There is always a way

^ any word on when this will get underway?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
^ any word on when this will get underway?
Just waiting for matching funds from the federal government. The equivalent of the cost of a few bags of peanuts. I don’t know what the delay is. I believe that is why.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 8:55 PM

^^The design looks great! Maybe the announcement on the matching funds from the Feds is being held for a more politically opportune time?

Oh well, no mater to me as long as the funding comes through. This will be another great attraction for the city, especially for people staying overnight at one of the airport hotels.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 1:04 PM

Good news!

Ottawa set to announce $8.8 million for the Royal Aviation Museum
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...513068182.html

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 1:35 PM
Back from the dead

Meh. I guess it jives as a motif but otherwise it looks kind of bland to me.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 1:57 PM

Is this going in the location of the old/prior terminal?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
I had heard that idea when the new building was announced but I'm not sure if it is still going there. I think it would be a great space, especially since here is no other building there now to tear down. I love the observation lounge area to watch take-offs'andings. i think the old terminal had that at one time as well. Great for the kids (and us old kids!).

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 2:10 PM
What could go wrong?

It's going on the triangle parking lot on the southern side of Wellington opposite of the old Greyhound Terminal. So if you look at Google Earth, between Wellington and Cargo Rd. (I believe it is the Valet lot?)
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 2:26 PM
There is always a way

It will be not in the location of the old terminal but opposite the loop from the new terminal. I suspect they're keeping the site of the old terminal for future terminal expansion whatever and whenever that may be. But we're already coming up on 10 years of the new building if you can believe it! Someone mentioned there may be a major expansion in the works already but I'm not certain if I'm just going a little loopy
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
It will be not in the location of the old terminal but opposite the loop from the new terminal. I suspect they're keeping the site of the old terminal for future terminal expansion whatever and whenever that may be. But we're already coming up on 10 years of the new building if you can believe it! Someone mentioned there may be a major expansion in the works already but I'm not certain if I'm just going a little loopy
8 years this fall! There was some talk in this thread about expansion not so long ago, maybe just last month?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 6:32 PM

The original plan was to put the aviation museum in the space of the old terminal. In the time since that plan was originally envisioned the air side operational needs of the airport have changed. The area from the old terminal is now used as a giant surface parking lot for planes spending the night in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 7:27 AM

My friend who works had stated how the airport has issues with traffic already because of increased passenger numbers and now to get to the museum people have to drive all the way around... good thing they have their own parking lot it looks like
there was plans to put it on the other side of the airfrield over in Whytewold for future expansion if it needed but guess they are staying at the airport

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The area from the old terminal is now used as a giant surface parking lot for planes spending the night in Winnipeg.
Ridiculous, Winnipeg already has too many surface parking lots as it is! Why can't people just take the bus instead of taking up valuable space parking their planes?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
My friend who works had stated how the airport has issues with traffic already because of increased passenger numbers and now to get to the museum people have to drive all the way around... good thing they have their own parking lot it looks like
there was plans to put it on the other side of the airfrield over in Whytewold for future expansion if it needed but guess they are staying at the airport
On the few occasions I visited the old aviation museum location it never seemed that busy... I can't imagine that it will be too disruptive to airport operations. Even if they host special events and functions, those would probably mostly in the evening when the airport is not busy.

That said, it does seem like a site that could be better used for actual airport functions

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan