HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
I talked to women about the circulation board, she said the plan now is at grade not submerged for the transit, LRT, or BRT. I think they need to go submerged and use the 31st underground to continue south

I also have a picture of the scale plan rising in height toward Cira, with one building >700ft most 2-400 and few 400ish

I have a picture but don't know how to post so if some DMs me can send it to them
I think those pics were in the attachment gttx posted.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 9:58 PM

Where the former Philadelphia Bulletin building is located should be a site for another supertall, maybe another location for what could be the tallest building in the world (seriously speaking), with the base as the mall, and maybe the floors above it miscellaneous, and the rest office towers, but I believe that the Bulletin site should be the site of the tallest building in the world!!!

And finally, a modern intercity bus facility should either be underground (preferably) since the current proposed 1000+ ft tall supertall has already been proposed, which might even put the might Port Authority in NYC to shame. We really need a major bus facility in this city, not the roach motel we have on 10th and Filbert!!! :tup

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Where the former Philadelphia Bulletin building is located should be a site for another supertall, maybe another location for what could be the tallest building in the world (seriously speaking), with the base as the mall, and maybe the floors above it miscellaneous, and the rest office towers, but I believe that the Bulletin site should be the site of the tallest building in the world!!!

And finally, a modern intercity bus facility should either be underground (preferably) since the current proposed 1000+ ft tall supertall has already been proposed, which might even put the might Port Authority in NYC to shame. We really need a major bus facility in this city, not the roach motel we have on 10th and Filbert!!! :tup
I agree completely agree with the emboldened statement! I was actually at the bus terminal earlier yesterday morning to catch a bus to Scranton. All I could think about was how much of a waste of space the terminal is. Plus, it looks like rowhomes on Arch Street were demolished for the bus driveway.

The new bus terminal is absolutely perfect for the 30th Street Station area. Let's make it a very multimodal area!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 4:46 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Actually I think 3001 Market should be landmarked (it's the last design by the guy who did PSFS, and the 1997 alteration fixed most of the original design's failings). The developers have it right: 3101 Market is where a supertall should go.
Quote:
And finally, a modern intercity bus facility should either be underground (preferably) since the current proposed 1000+ ft tall supertall has already been proposed, which might even put the might Port Authority in NYC to shame. We really need a major bus facility in this city, not the roach motel we have on 10th and Filbert!!!
There's a major bus terminal proposed at Schuylkill and Arch.

You do realize there's, like, stuff occupying most of the underground space in the area, though, right?

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 5:22 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post

You do realize there's, like, stuff occupying most of the underground space in the area, though, right?
While an underground facility would be fantastic, it really doesn't fit anywhere. Between I-76 and the railroad tracks going under 30th Street Station, there really isn't any fast land until you get west of the "black hole" site at 30th and JFK (or Bulletin Square on the block south). The blocks that could accommodate a below-grade station west of the tracks would be south of Market, but Drexel owns these and doesn't seem to want a bus station on their land. Can't say I blame them.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
While an underground facility would be fantastic, it really doesn't fit anywhere. Between I-76 and the railroad tracks going under 30th Street Station, there really isn't any fast land until you get west of the "black hole" site at 30th and JFK (or Bulletin Square on the block south). The blocks that could accommodate a below-grade station west of the tracks would be south of Market, but Drexel owns these and doesn't seem to want a bus station on their land. Can't say I blame them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier

I believe west of the tracks is the perfect site for the intercity bus station. North of Market is where I've envisioned it. But the tough part is where the bus station is going to be and how it's going to be constructed (for the SY project, it has to be underground somewhere west of the tracks north of Market Street and connected to 30th St Station in order to have a true intermodal hub for the Delaware Valley).

I'm not even sure whether the SY project will come into fruition, and ditto since the Cira Centre 3 is a better project than what the SY has in lieu of it, difference being that the Cira Center 3 should be a supertall IMHO, but with the ACC being mothballed by suspicious sources, and the Camden Waterfront proposal being drastically downsized, I won't hold my breath for either the bus station or much of the Schuylkill Yards project if it becomes similarly downsized or worse, not even built at all, considering the recent development trends within the region!!!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Appreciate the ambition. But the "tallest building in the world" will never be a spec office/mixed use building. Even a run-of-the-mill supertall won't (and probably shouldn't) happen without firm tenant commitments. It doesn't serve anyone to have a half empty tall box.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 12:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Appreciate the ambition. But the "tallest building in the world" will never be a spec office/mixed use building. Even a run-of-the-mill supertall won't (and probably shouldn't) happen without firm tenant commitments. It doesn't serve anyone to have a half empty tall box.
The Empire State Building was. It took 20 years to fill it. They called it the Empty State Building for a long time. Not saying that they should do that now, but just a historical nugget.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
The Empire State Building was. It took 20 years to fill it. They called it the Empty State Building for a long time. Not saying that they should do that now, but just a historical nugget.
Well, that's true. At least partially. But I don't know that there was lack of initial commitments or that they just pulled out before building completion. The Empire State Building opened in 1931 during the Great Depression. It opened a year after Chrysler and other iconic skyscrapers in better locations had opened, and with the state of the economy, there was just no tenant demand for decades to come (as you said). Anyway, I don't think Philly developers would be smart to build any speculative supertall today without firm tenant commitments (and it's unlikely to happen). Maybe Vanguard is the best answer if what some are saying about it materializes...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Maybe Vanguard is the best answer if what some are saying about it materializes...
It is a sin that Vanguard doesn't have a 1500 foot tower in Philadelphia. Blackrock has two towers on the same damn block in NYC. Certain forces want to destroy the ETF market so who knows what the future of Vanguard will be!

Last edited by TempleGuy1000; Mar 29, 2016 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 1:48 PM

Quote:
I don't think Philly developers would be smart to build any speculative supertall today without firm tenant commitments . . . ..
Hard to imagine any lender would provide financing for a large spec office building in Philadelphia. Though it seems like Brickstone got some for the East Market office rehab before the design Center tenants signed on, and that's a pretty big building.

But I think the last time any large new spec skyscrapers were built in Philly was in the mid 80s: One Penn Sq West (the Graham Building), 8 Penn Center, 1525 Locust, and maybe 1800-1880 JFK. Anything since?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
It is a sin that Vanguard doesn't have a 1500 foot tower in Philadelphia. Blackrock has two towers on the same damn block in NYC. Bernie Sander's wants to topple the ETF market. So if you are a voter out there, I hope you make a wise decision.
What part of "this is not a place for political discussion" is so hard for people to understand?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingDutchman View Post
What part of "this is not a place for political discussion" is so hard for people to understand?
the part were politics, economics, and locality collide? I will delete it so you aren't as offended.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
the part were politics, economics, and locality collide? I will delete it so you aren't as offended.
It is not a matter of whether I am offended, which I am not. It is a matter of cutting down on the number of endless screeds of political back and forth that derail Philly threads here every day or so.

This one isn't even ambiguous. Hint: if your post is concerned with how others should vote in an upcoming election, it has no place here.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 8:25 PM

Lucy Kerman (Drexel Vice Provost of University and Community Partnerships), Michael Thorpe (Executive Director of the Mt. Vernon Manor CDC), Jim Saksa (Plan Philly reporter) and Jackelyn Hwang (Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Office of Population Research at Princeton University) were all on Radio Times yesterday discussing the project. I suggest jumping to 29:06 to get to the best part.

Radio Times episode on the project.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingDutchman View Post
It is not a matter of whether I am offended, which I am not. It is a matter of cutting down on the number of endless screeds of political back and forth that derail Philly threads here every day or so.

This one isn't even ambiguous. Hint: if your post is concerned with how others should vote in an upcoming election, it has no place here.
Seriously chill dude. The statement he made that got you riled up was part of a larger post and nobosy really made it into something except you. It's okay if you have a hard on for Bernie, just don't try to start an argument on here.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
Seriously chill dude. The statement he made that got you riled up was part of a larger post and nobosy really made it into something except you. It's okay if you have a hard on for Bernie, just don't try to start an argument on here.
This is the last response I will write to this, after which I will simply file the exchange as "the internet is a silly place".

My political opinions have nothing to do with this. You might notice indeed that I did not stated them, and you have merely assumed that because I reacted to this particular comment they have anything to do with Sanders. You might also note that I was explicitly trying to avoid an argument, not start one.

How many pages upon pages upon pages have been spent on this board in long winded and increasingly personal arguments over various and sundry political issues? All of them distracting from discussion of construction, development, etc... you know, the things we're all here to read about and discuss?

And always the same pattern. One person makes a snide off-hand comment or bloviating statement about such an issue, some others respond, then it goes back and forth and back and forth (kind of like how this now sadly has).

And the first person or those who agree with them always cry innocent and insist it was the people who reacted who "started an argument."

Again, this is not a place for anyone to press their political perspective (observe that I have still not said a word about mine). And while there is certainly some gray area with regard to the council, PA budget issues, etc... There is no such excuse for bringing up federal financial regulation ahead of the PA primary. Maybe nobody would have said anything if I hadn't. But similarly silly things have derailed many threads here before.

Many of us already can't use facebook, walk over to the water cooler, or even spend time with our own families without having this election dragged into it... surely a message board dedicated to the design and construction of skyscrapers ought to be safe?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:51 AM
Urban Explorer

BUT, what if Drexel lands a Trump Tower as part of this development? WHAT THEN?????

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:53 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

I, for one, can't wait till Trump gets out of politics. Then we can talk about Trump Towers galore without rolling our collective eyes.

Also, as a reminder, no politics.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:56 AM
Show me the blueprints

^At the end of this process Trump will have effectively destroyed all value of his brand. I for one wouldn't be caught dead living in a building with TRUMP hanging on the side of it. I wouldn't even stay in a Trump hotel at this point.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals