HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 1:37 AM

Could this possibly be the best baseball stadium in the country? What do you guys think?

It's got lots of character for a ballpark that hasn't even opened yet. It is definitely unlike many of the other cookie-cutter ballparks out there. It is easily recognizable. Which can't be said of the many of the new ballparks around the country.

It just oozes class, money and refinement.

What other ballpark, old or new, can top this one? I really can't think of any. There are some nice stadiums out there but none approaching this stadium.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 2:15 AM

The Polo Grounds were for the NY Giants. It was located in Upper Manhattan, basically across the river from Yankee Stadium.

A huge housing complex now occupies the former Polo Grounds site.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Could this possibly be the best baseball stadium in the country? What do you guys think?
It's certainly BY FAR the swankiest baseball stadium. It cost 2.5 times any other baseball stadium in existence.

Whether it's the "best" depends on one's personal preferences. I definitely think one could make an argument for Yankee Stadium.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 12:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Could this possibly be the best baseball stadium in the country? It just oozes class, money and refinement.

What other ballpark, old or new, can top this one? I really can't think of any. There are some nice stadiums out there but none approaching this stadium.
This stadium is somewhat of a Yankee museum/paradise for Yankees fans. That's the way it should be, and I like that it shows off the teams history, in many ways more than the old stadium.

I do however believe Citifield to be a bigger improvement over what was before (Shea, which wasn't too hard to do). But for the Yankees, the new stadium couldn't have been better or more suited for the team.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 12:52 PM
New Yorker for life

The Yankees began as the Baltimore Orioles in 1901, and moved to Manhattan's Hilltop Park in 1903 as the Highlanders. In 1913, the Yankees moved to the Polo Grounds. In 1923, the Yankees moved to "the House that Ruth built" in the Bronx, Yankee Stadium.

CLASSIC photos from Sherwood Harrington

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 1:09 PM
New Yorker for life

More of the NEW stadium from Yankees Rule

Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 6:52 PM

There is an essay on the new Yankee Stadium and Citi Field in last week's issue of the New Yorker.

You can still read it at..
http://www.newyorker.com/

Scroll down to THE SKY LINE section.
Paul Goldberger: New stadiums for the Yankees and the Mets.
(it's two pages...so don't miss the second page)

It's very informative, and a great article for architecture fans.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 12:18 AM

IMO I think the stadium would have looked better if they put up the same exterior wall around the upper deck bowl instead of leaving the steel exposed. it would've given the new stadium even more of the pre renovated look to it.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 1:56 AM
Brooklyn in the house!

This stadium is just like the team, pretentious and over the top. That's right, I'm starting it!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 11:35 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldie View Post
This stadium is just like the team, pretentious and over the top. That's right, I'm starting it!
I expect as much from a Met fan...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genop View Post
IMO I think the stadium would have looked better if they put up the same exterior wall around the upper deck bowl instead of leaving the steel exposed. it would've given the new stadium even more of the pre renovated look to it.
I think they wanted to work in some aspects of the 70s renovation - thankfully that seems to be the extent of it though.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 3:02 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

Quote:
better yet ..he must be a jealous red sox fan...stuck with that pile of junk stadium..i mean park

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 3:05 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

cant wait to watch the first. game there on friday on the mlb network.all my angels and dodgers fans will be with me as they really know who the best team is..

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-TOWERS View Post
better yet ..he must be a jealous red sox fan...stuck with that pile of junk stadium..i mean park
He's a Met's fan...

Quote:
Can't wait to see it in person. Got my tickets for April 28th. It's going to be a beautiful thing with a full house. Go Mets!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 11:52 PM

so is the hard rock cafe going to be open through out the year?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 1:17 AM

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 4:45 AM

possible new development around the stadium

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...spx?ap=1&Flash

South Bronx Rezoning Plan To Include Housing, Retail
By: NY1 News

The city planning commission presented plans Monday to rezone the area by Yankee Stadium.

The agency says the plans are aimed at bringing 900 new housing units along 161st Street. Of those, 140 would be permanently affordable.

It would also bring offices and retail space in an effort to stimulate year-round activity in an area the planning commission says is currently occupied by vacant and underutilized lots.

More than 1,300 jobs are also expected to be created as part of the redevelopment efforts.

"Although strategically located, outdated zoning has discouraged development along these corridors resulting in a multitude of low scaled, underutilized sites even though there is great access to mass transit. This plan as you will see will knit together the look, feel and use of the entire 161st Street and River Avenue civic corridors," said Amanda Burden, New York City Department of Planning Chair.

The plans are now subject to a public review.

The rezoning is part of Mayor Michael Bloomberg's South Bronx Initiative.

In a statement, the mayor says the plans are an example of how the city is preparing key sites around mass transit throughout the city to provide new economic opportunities for New Yorkers.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 1:53 AM
New Yorker for life

^ That and a further redevelopment plan around the area are helping with a full return of the Bronx from what it was decades ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genop View Post
so is the hard rock cafe going to be open through out the year?
Yeah, it will be open all year.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 11:24 AM
New Yorker for life

The Daily News has a nice tour...
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ndex.html#home

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 11:38 AM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive