HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 6:57 PM

[Halifax] Bright Place (6123 Lady Hammond) | ? m | 7 fl | Completed

W.M. Fares Group has proposed a new 7-storey residential building on the existing Bight Place right-of-way (to be closed with the exception of a pedestrian walkway). For those who do not wander into the deep North-End very often Bight Place is between Lady Hammond Drive and Normandy Drive near the Massachusetts Avenue overpass.

Google Maps - Streetview

Case 18464 - Regional Council Report (incl. a rendering).

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 9:30 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
W.M. Fares Group has proposed a new 7-storey residential building on the existing Bight Place right-of-way (to be closed with the exception of a pedestrian walkway). For those who do not wander into the deep North-End very often Bight Place is between Lady Hammond Drive and Normandy Drive near the Massachusetts Avenue overpass.

Google Maps - Streetview

Case 18464 - Regional Council Report (incl. a rendering).
What garbage.....I expect a lot better from W.M. Fares!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 1:31 AM

Seems okay. I just hate red and green together.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 11:19 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm_scott View Post
Seems okay. I just hate red and green together.
Those won't be the final colours but they will be the final cheap materials. A building of this size looks very substandard with siding, especially all the way to the roof line. The roof line will be very ugly from all angles. The corner detail will no doubt be done in what is now a Halifax favourite cheap finish ....concrete veneer even though the rendering is asking you to think brick. This feeds into the epidemic currently underway in HRM "The Subpar Material Disguise" Perhaps it should be renamed "Blight Place".

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 11:42 AM
Honored Member

It is difficult to say from the rendering whether it will be brick veneer or actual bricks (the rendering is rather nondescript). I didn't see the materials described in the documents that are posted on the halifax.ca website.

Hopefully the siding will be something along the lines of a Hardie siding instead of vinyl siding.

If decent materials are used then I think it will look ok. Some recent buildings in Halifax have used expensive exterior materials - King's Wharf, All Saints, Citadel Hotels, The Trillium ...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 6:29 AM

Interesting location - I used to live up the hill in the apartment building next to the Tim Hortons (for about a year). It was okay - my partner and I (at the time) moved into a 4th floor unit when it was just being occupied.

Material colours concern me - as does the materials to be used, but not too bad of a design.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 6:36 AM

Planning details page is up;

Case 18464 Details

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 4:51 PM

The public information meeting for this project will be held on May 5th, 2014 at 7pm at Highland Park Junior High.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 2:40 AM

We're going to have a lot of buildings in this city with glass balconies, floor-ceiling windows and cladding awfully soon. Do no other construction materials exist anymore? That said, it is still an upgrade over the existing small buildings and run down street. I thought (hoped) for a minute that this involved tearing down that god awful Chebucto Motel. Oh well.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 5:24 PM

A more recent rendering of the project.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 6:15 PM

yuck. I wouldn't mind this being rejected for the shear ugliness

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curnhalio View Post
We're going to have a lot of buildings in this city with glass balconies, floor-ceiling windows and cladding awfully soon. Do no other construction materials exist anymore? That said, it is still an upgrade over the existing small buildings and run down street. I thought (hoped) for a minute that this involved tearing down that god awful Chebucto Motel. Oh well.
I don't see a problem with these sorts of designs. It's what people want in the condos and apartments they rent. People want natural light. They want nice glass balconies.

If that fills these buildings with people, all the better.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
yuck. I wouldn't mind this being rejected for the shear ugliness
really? I don't mind it at all.

take a look at these new Vancouver residential buildings here:

http://www.gvrd.com/real_estate_new_...vancouver.html

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 12:56 PM

I like lots of glass and an open feel, but I am not a fan of the trend of mismatched materials and tinted balcony glass that doesn't even go with the colour scheme of the mismatched materials.

Maybe some like it because it appears new and bold, but once there are a lot of them around and they age a little, they will just be ugly. As someone who remembers the '70s and 'trendy' stuff like avocado green appliances, trust me that it doesn't take long for this stuff to get old. The problem with an ugly building is that you can't just throw it out and buy a new one - people will have to look at this for years to come.

When I look at this rendering, it gives me the impression that the builder went to Happy Harry's and put this together with leftover construction materials, none of it matching and not enough of any one type to do the whole building.

Just my ...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 8:14 PM

[QUOTE=OldDartmouthMark;6741368]I like lots of glass and an open feel, but I am not a fan of the trend of mismatched materials and tinted balcony glass that doesn't even go with the colour scheme of the mismatched materials.
[QUOTE]

Agreed, the tinted balconies don't do it for me, a few too many colours and materials, but a good start. B-

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 3:33 PM

So the second crappy old apartment came down this week. There is demolition fencing up around the site. Not sure if excavation will begin soon or not...

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 10:22 PM

Last edited by Dmajackson; Jul 3, 2018 at 6:29 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curnhalio View Post
These things are very important for people living in these units though. When you only have glazing on a single wall you want it to be as open as possible to flood your place with as much light as possible during the few hours that the sun’s path passes by your unit. Its also is critical for preserving views. Especially on balconies.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 1:22 PM

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 10:17 PM

Not sure if this is the final rendering;

[SIZE=1"]Root Architecture[/SIZE]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth