HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 5:46 PM

The views from Dartmouth Commom are very nice.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 5:58 PM

Every link in this thread is dead now, and there is no indication of what this proposal is/was. Perhaps the thread should be archived/deleted?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 6:36 PM
hi

FWIW, here are the documents that resulted from the study: https://developns.ca/projects/dartmo...e-master-plan/

And some more recent information: https://www.shapeyourcityhalifax.ca/dartmouthcove

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 1:56 PM

CBC is reporting that Build NS is walking away from this citing the remediation is too expensive. Shame, it is ideally located for intensive development.

Last edited by terrynorthend; Nov 9, 2023 at 1:58 PM. Reason: Added link

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
CBC is reporting that Build NS is walking away from this citing the remediation is too expensive. Shame, it is ideally located for intensive development.
Is such a thing not what they are supposed to do? Maybe the operations should be axed.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 3:18 PM
Cap the Cut!

I wonder if the contamination is staying put? ie. is it leaching into the neighbouring properties and/or the harbour? If a private citizen had known oil contamination on their property would they be permitted to just ignore it and leave it be? Also, has Develop NS considered using a similar model as HRM/Cogswell lands where the selling-off of property funds the remediation of the property?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 4:13 PM

Yeah, I don't really understand it. "Without a reasonable prospect that private or non-profit would build on the site..."
They're kidding, right? Remediated, those lots would be worth millions. Builders would be clamoring especially if the Province used its newfound legislation to declare it a special development zone and impose generous density rights.
Has Houston run out of developer friends to sweetheart, or is this maybe some sort of political play in the 3 levels of gov pointing fingers at each other?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 4:15 PM

Very strange, surely the agency has dealt with similar issues on the Halifax side in the past.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 5:02 PM

I agree. It makes no sense.

Are they saying that the land will henceforth remain a vacant lot because remediation is required? We all know this won't happen, so why not just get to it, in the midst of a housing crisis, and prepare the land for development?

Or... maybe they could make it the city's newest tent park?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I don't really understand it. "Without a reasonable prospect that private or non-profit would build on the site..."
They're kidding, right? Remediated, those lots would be worth millions. Builders would be clamoring especially if the Province used its newfound legislation to declare it a special development zone and impose generous density rights.
Has Houston run out of developer friends to sweetheart, or is this maybe some sort of political play in the 3 levels of gov pointing fingers at each other?
The entire area is already designated a Special Planning Area under the Centre Plan.

The refusal to remediate is very confusing and frustrating. There's already multiple proposals for 30 story towers in the Dartmouth Cove Special Planning Area. What on earth are they talking about when they say there's a lack of reasonable prospect for private development?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 7:20 PM

Saw the news yesterday regarding the approval of infilling Dartmouth cove from Transport Canada. There seems to be quite a bit of backlash from city council. One thing I found interesting was this is designated as park space and per Sam Austin, will remain park space once infilled. I imagine the owner will be lobbying for zoning changes, if they have not already begun.

I found this website, which I think is older, but it doesn't seem like there's much interest in keeping this as park/green space.
https://www.dartmouthcovens.ca/

Any speculation on how this infilling will affect the provincially owned lands nearby that must be remediated?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherNorthender View Post
Saw the news yesterday regarding the approval of infilling Dartmouth cove from Transport Canada. There seems to be quite a bit of backlash from city council. One thing I found interesting was this is designated as park space and per Sam Austin, will remain park space once infilled. I imagine the owner will be lobbying for zoning changes, if they have not already begun.

I found this website, which I think is older, but it doesn't seem like there's much interest in keeping this as park/green space.
https://www.dartmouthcovens.ca/

Any speculation on how this infilling will affect the provincially owned lands nearby that must be remediated?
This waterfront lot might be the new battle for the "commons"

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 9:52 PM

Here's my little rant:
If you own a house in the middle of a growing city CENTER, why not sell and move out of the city center if what you want is no development, no high rises, no traffic etc etc. Why stay and fight against every single development that could actually bring economic oxygen to a stagnant economy. Atlantic Canada needs a major city. Nova Scotia needs a major city. Major cities are the heart and lungs of any regional economic ecosystem. The city center of Halifax and Dartmouth need major developments. Infills like kings wharf are driving the future of Halifax for the betterment of all Atlantic Canada

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherNorthender View Post
One thing I found interesting was this is designated as park space and per Sam Austin, will remain park space once infilled.
Why would whoever is footing the bill for the infilling do that to create park space? Makes no sense. Is Austin being disingenuous again?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Why would whoever is footing the bill for the infilling do that to create park space? Makes no sense. Is Austin being disingenuous again?

The infilling isn't about creating new development space, it's some contractor looking for a place to dump pyritic slate from sites across the city they are excavating. And Build NS has conveniently walked away from their plans to master plan Dartmouth Cove, so I suspect it will basically sit as a rock dump

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 1:38 AM

Quote:
The infilling isn't about creating new development space, it's some contractor looking for a place to dump pyritic slate from sites across the city they are excavating. And Build NS has conveniently walked away from their plans to master plan Dartmouth Cove, so I suspect it will basically sit as a rock dump
Exactly. That little cove at the haltern port will be filled quick. It is all about getting rid of pyritic slate.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 11:51 AM

OK, it makes sense that there needs to be a location to dispose of the slate. What I do not know is whether the cove as it currently is has much depth or any use as a marine site if unchanged. I look at that abandoned pier just south of the Macdonald bridge and wonder if perhaps that might be a useful site for such things. Or some other location outside of the city.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 3:20 PM
Cap the Cut!

I can see tidying up the edges of the cove a bit but does anyone here know the actual intent here? Is the intent to fill in the entire cove? Will Kings Wharf no longer be a wharf?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 10:09 PM

There's an approximately 0% chance that the landowners won't look into developing the cove infill in the future, it would be like throwing away free money in this housing market.

There's no immediate plan for the development, but I doubt it will stay that way for long. The whole area is a Future Growth Node under the center plan and demand for housing has perhaps never been higher in Canadian history (NS history anyway).

I'm pretty sure King's Wharf and a number of other infill projects around the harbour are also mostly pyritic slate dumps.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 12:30 AM

The redevelopment of Dartmouth waterfront will be in need of some infills along that shoreline for the proposed cruise ships so I figure while Dartmouth cove is an option it's not the only spot

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth