HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 6:00 PM
we built this city

This Spirit place issue embodies everything that is wrong with development in HRM.

Although some concerns being addressed by nearby residents are legitimate, its like when people speak about 15+ story developments... alot of excuses are made that are totally unrelated and are used as ammunition. The public input process is turned into a big bitch session, etc.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
This Spirit place issue embodies everything that is wrong with development in HRM.

Although some concerns being addressed by nearby residents are legitimate, its like when people speak about 15+ story developments... alot of excuses are made that are totally unrelated and are used as ammunition. The public input process is turned into a big bitch session, etc.
Agreed. I rather see them put up proof of their findings, then just simply say it will cause, as an example, traffic issues. There are many traffic engineering firms who can vaildate their claim, if it is true.

Last edited by sdm; Jul 7, 2011 at 7:17 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 7:33 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
Agreed. I rather see them put up proof of their findings, then just simply say it will cause, as an example, traffic issues. There are many traffic engineering firms who can vaildate their claim, if it is true.
Yep. I'd ask them if they're a traffic engineer and, if so, why they haven't shared their detailed simulation parameters and results with everyone. They must have a very special simulation set up if they've found that a 7 storey seniors' home is going to single-handedly gridlock the area.

Similarly, ask the wind complainers if they've analyzed local climate data then built a wind tunnel and 3D model of a neighbourhood (with sensors of course) in their basement.

Often the city will require developers to come up with this data (presumably at great expense) and then councillors just ignore it. The reason for this is that most people have irrational reasons for opposing new development. They have to scramble to find plausible sounding arguments and then abandon them when they're revealed as false.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Yep. I'd ask them if they're a traffic engineer and, if so, why they haven't shared their detailed simulation parameters and results with everyone. They must have a very special simulation set up if they've found that a 7 storey seniors' home is going to single-handedly gridlock the area.

Similarly, ask the wind complainers if they've analyzed local climate data then built a wind tunnel and 3D model of a neighbourhood (with sensors of course) in their basement.

Often the city will require developers to come up with this data (presumably at great expense) and then councillors just ignore it. The reason for this is that most people have irrational reasons for opposing new development. They have to scramble to find plausible sounding arguments and then abandon them when they're revealed as false.

Working in the planning profession - I can tell you that the cost of a TIA depends on the development. Obviously the more intense the development, the more analysis, thus the more $.

I did comment on the fact they were saying it would cause traffic and went out onto a limb and asked them how many of the citizens were PEng's on CBC? So far I've had no comments back...typical.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post
["I can't imagine what it would be like sitting in my backyard with a seven-storey building towering over and people looking into my backyard and my home," said Liz Cunningham, who lives nearby.
'Cause I'm just itching to see what's going on in Liz Cunningham's backyard. So are thousands of other people. She should hire a security guard. Really.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post
Spirit Place proposal draws mixed reviews

Spirit Place would have 65 apartment units. Supporters and critics spoke out Wednesday night about a proposed housing development for seniors in Halifax.

About 150 people attended a public meeting to discuss Spirit Place, an inclusive apartment complex planned for the corner of Willow and Windsor streets.

The seven-storey complex would be built on the site of the St. John's United Church. It would 65 apartment units.

Some people say the building would be too large and imposing, and that it would cause traffic problems.

"I can't imagine what it would be like sitting in my backyard with a seven-storey building towering over and people looking into my backyard and my home," said Liz Cunningham, who lives nearby.

There is also strong support for the project.

Alyson Holland said the Halifax Regional Municipality must consider innovative ways to reduce urban sprawl.

"I just think that seniors residences like this are so important to the community. Also, I'm a young professional looking for a city that encourages growth and dynamic change," she said.

The architects said the building would have tiers so it wouldn't reach its maximum height of 22 metres on all sides.

They also said Spirit Place would cast a shadow on adjacent buildings about an hour earlier only at certain times of the year.

There were still people waiting to speak when the meeting wrapped up at 9 p.m. Some asked for a second public session so more people could share their thoughts on the proposal.

Municipal staff will prepare a report for council. It will then be up to Halifax regional council to decide whether to amend land-use rules so Spirit Place can proceed.
How many seniors confined to homes actualy still drive , I would imagine most of the traffic heading there would be employess and support people maybe at most 15 extra cars in the neighbourhood on a given day and family on weekends ....

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetcbu1 View Post
How many seniors confined to homes actualy still drive , I would imagine most of the traffic heading there would be employess and support people maybe at most 15 extra cars in the neighbourhood on a given day and family on weekends ....
Ever been in the basement of an higher class seniors facility? The garage might be quite full but the cars are covered in dust. I had family in the Berkley nearby and because of the grocery store, buses, and pharmacy being nearby they did keep their car but only used it once a week or so to keep it in good shape and to lend to needing family members. This building is directly on multiple bus routes so employees would likely bus or walk to work like they do at the Berkley. Family visits are normally in the evenings on weekdays (Friday especially busy). Weekends it mostly daytime hours and suppertime.

With all of this considered in the likelyhood of this development significantly impacting traffic during peak hours is slim. There might be some impact on evenings and weekends mainly with parking but that can be easily monitored and if its get to be serious new parking bans can be created or neighbourhood parking permits could be installed (like whats coming for around the Commons).

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Ever been in the basement of an higher class seniors facility? The garage might be quite full but the cars are covered in dust. I had family in the Berkley nearby and because of the grocery store, buses, and pharmacy being nearby they did keep their car but only used it once a week or so to keep it in good shape and to lend to needing family members. This building is directly on multiple bus routes so employees would likely bus or walk to work like they do at the Berkley. Family visits are normally in the evenings on weekdays (Friday especially busy). Weekends it mostly daytime hours and suppertime.

With all of this considered in the likelyhood of this development significantly impacting traffic during peak hours is slim. There might be some impact on evenings and weekends mainly with parking but that can be easily monitored and if its get to be serious new parking bans can be created or neighbourhood parking permits could be installed (like whats coming for around the Commons).
DJ is quite right. My mom lives in a building that isn't a senior's home, but about 90% of people are at least in their late 60's (my mom turning 60 this November). Many of the people who are older, might use their car once or twice a week at the most. People like my mom who still have good vision, use them more.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
DJ is quite right. My mom lives in a building that isn't a senior's home, but about 90% of people are at least in their late 60's (my mom turning 60 this November). Many of the people who are older, might use their car once or twice a week at the most. People like my mom who still have good vision, use them more.
They also tend to drive during least busiest times of day - and purposely schedule their day this way - to avoid traffic. After 10am - noon or mid-afternoon on weekdays and early morning on the weekends. There is lots of data out there on seniors' driving habits to back this up.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 12:04 AM

Read in the paper today that there will be a second public information meeting Thursday September 15 at 7:00 PM in the maritime hall at the forum.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 12:54 PM
we built this city

Aka NIMBY Fest 2011, lol.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 1:02 AM

Looks like theres a fence surrounding the property now. Demolition time maybe?;

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 1:06 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Please don't stone me but I won't miss that church. Others that have been demoed in the past yes, but this one just doesn't look like it's worth saving to me.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Please don't stone me but I won't miss that church. Others that have been demoed in the past yes, but this one just doesn't look like it's worth saving to me.
I don't know, with several successful examples of churches being converted into condos around town, it seems like a shame to take it down. The replacement will, undoubtedly, be bigger, but it will also probably be built of inferior materials and will have a lot less architectural interest. Probably better places for infill.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 3:05 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Consider the hideous building to the right of the church -- something that never should have been built like that in that location. The church is actually a pretty nice building for the area, and it is brick and stone instead of plastic and thin veneers.

I won't be too upset if the new building is half decent but I think we're too cavalier with older buildings given the fact that the replacement buildings are typically cheap and poorly designed. We do the equivalent of tossing out hardwood furniture instead of refinishing it ("it's nothing special") and then replacing it with stuff from IKEA.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 3:37 AM

The fence has been there for a couple months. I think it was put up simply to keep people off the property (there's been some graffiti).

It'll be sad to see it go but I've heard the building is in very poor condition and wasn't built that well to begin with. I think the interior is nice and I hope they are able to recreate some of that grandeur in the new building.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 4:17 AM

Heritage heads up Willow Street despite low uptake
September 26, 2012 - 8:07pm BY BILL POWER BUSINESS REPORTER

Quote:
Heritage Gas is moving ahead with its unconventional pilot project in Halifax despite disappointingly low uptake among Willow Street residents, company president Jim Bracken said Wednesday.

Despite advance publicity only 12 out of 70 potential customers have signed on for a connection.

The project is unconventional for Heritage because it does not follow the company’s usual economics-based model for installing natural gas lines.

Read More: thechronicleherald.ca

You think we could convince the construction workers to do some demo? It might speed up the approval process.

It could fall under a "streetscape" improvement, the first in a long time!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 3:11 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There's going to be a public hearing for this one soon.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 4:02 PM

I hope they can save as many bricks as they can. I like brick, especially aged brick used creatively. Window and door treatments with brickwork are what make brick attractive, and go a long way for the buildings appeal as well.

The problem I find with modern brick design is the lack of.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 3:25 PM

The staff report for June 10th's meeting was a bit surprising. I would've thought that 7 stories was more than appropriate along this route...it is a good street, great location on a corner.

Thankfully Watts has a conflict and can't sit on the item and it was forwarded to council for a public hearing, but these corner lot sites are idea for 6-8 stories. Plunk a couple more of these babies along that street and the Windsor street sobeys will explode with customers. Hopefully that would get redeveloped and retain the sobeys but put a few stories of residential above it too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth