HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 4:27 AM
BANNED

Augustus Pugin, who co-designed the Palace of Westminster, would probably think this building should be added to this thread:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11668569@N03/1346359712/

He thought it was crap because it didn't make use of any properties of stone; they built it as if it were made out of wood. In other words, it didn't advance the construction technology of the day.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 8:37 AM
Honored Member

Is anybody gonna help me build my masterpieces?

There's old Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe digging the foundation for one of his buildings. He's certainly good at 'saving face' when even the construction crew didn't want any recognition!

-SapphireBlueEyes-
[CENTER][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Ornamentation is the principal part of architecture, considered as a subject of fine art.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue] - [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][URL="http://www.giga-usa.com/quotes/authors/john_ruskin_a001.htm"]John Ruskin[/URL], [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][I]True and Beautiful--Sculpture[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

Last edited by SapphireBlueEyes; Mar 23, 2009 at 8:49 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 9:21 AM
BANNED

you're pretty smart at thinking.

mies sux. less is bore.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 3:57 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Mies was fabulous when his buildings (and those like them) were the rare exception amidst an urban sea of highly detailed heavy masonry buildings. Unfortunately his buildings, like all geometric sculptural modernism, relied on being different in order to be interesting. Now that our cities are chocked full of copycats there's no longer a point. Even more unfortunate, as our cities have become overwhelmed by ornament-less buildings, they have indeed become much more boring.

It's a mistake to say that "less is bore" regarding Mies, because Mies operated in an environment where less stood out as unique and interesting. Now that less no longer stands out in that manner, it has become a bore. With every new curtain wall thrown up by some hack architect, Mies' masterpieces become that much less interesting.

In short: It's all about context.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 6:50 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

I appreciate Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe more as time goes by. The proportions are very good; he appears to have used the golden ratio or a value close to it in the shape of the windows on the IBM building for example.

The problem is that the imitators created a look of total banality by appearing to abandon any sense of proportion. It is the copy cat buildings that have square floorplates, square windows with silvered privacy glass, and no elegance to the proportions.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 7:03 PM

I know the little town I live in made a living of its harbour, but still...these ugly concrete silos are so out of place and disproportionate to the rest of the town it's not even funny.

Photo from wikipedia

If you get a sea view, you're gonna see the silos as well. It doesn't help that most of the town consists of medieval to 19th century buildings either.

Photo by me

The worst part is, they're expanding the harbour, not removing it!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 9:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphireblueeyes View Post
what's with that pic he looks like he's waist-deep in mud

re: mies according to Siegfried Giedion Mies was all about using irregularly-placed planes in order to partition a space. he wrote that if someone understand's Theo van Doesburg's 1923 relation of horizontal & vertical planes, they can understand Mies' architecture:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...uuranalyse.jpg

Last edited by amor de cosmos; Mar 23, 2009 at 10:11 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 10:20 PM
Honored Member

The pic was amusing to me. Like in the comics with the bubbled statements, picture one coming out of Mies' mouth and him saying: Isn't anybody going to help me build my 'less is more', masterpieces? In other words, he's digging the foundation himself, with no help, the construction crew said that Architorture is against their Religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amor de cosmos View Post
what's with that pic he looks like he's waist-deep in mud

re: mies according to Siegfried Giedion Mies was all about using irregularly-placed planes in order to partition a space. he wrote that if someone understand's Theo van Doesburg's 1923 relation of horizontal & vertical planes, they can understand Mies' architecture:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...uuranalyse.jpg
[CENTER][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Ornamentation is the principal part of architecture, considered as a subject of fine art.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue] - [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][URL="http://www.giga-usa.com/quotes/authors/john_ruskin_a001.htm"]John Ruskin[/URL], [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Impact][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][I]True and Beautiful--Sculpture[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 10:52 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
The pic was amusing to me. Like in the comics with the bubbled statements, picture one coming out of Mies' mouth and him saying: Isn't anybody going to help me build my 'less is more', masterpieces? In other words, he's digging the foundation himself, with no help, the construction crew said that Architorture is against their Religion.
Every time you talk like this another piece of me dies.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 11:11 PM
Honored Member

really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Every time you talk like this another piece of me dies.
How come a piece of you dies every time I talk like that? I know that the truth is hard to swallow.

-SapphireBlueEyes-

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 6:55 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormkingfan View Post
WHOA!! WHOA!! WHOA!!
Tear that down?! Over my dead body!!!
Geddat awf dis thread! <seething>
I think he's joking, because that's one of the most beautiful City Halls AND structures period in N. America.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 7:03 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
^^^I disagree, I think its an okay building, fills in a nice spot in the skyline, If I remember correctly it was the tallest building in LA for a while? It dosn't look that bad from some angles:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chased/219452036/

The white wall is kind of bad but I've grown to like it, I wouldn't mind seeing them reclad the building but I don't have a problem with it.

http://you-are-here.com/los_angeles/611.html
You are right, it's not the most architecturally significant building, but it does kind of fit in, at least color wise, and at least it's not a box. Sometimes it's the location, not necessarily the building itself. I mentioned Detroits Kennedy Sq. Bldg. earlier, and like I said, it would be ok in another location.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 7:14 AM
Closed account

If it weren't for Mobiles skyline losing its second tallest skyscraper, and putting a gap in the skyline, I would suggest razing this 60's box.

I've heard they are at least going to replace the windows, and maybe a little hope on recladding it, let's hope it happens.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 7:20 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormkingfan View Post
NO, not THAT!!! (heeheehee) You could put a platform over the sidewalk, at the level of that blank wall, tilt it to 90 deg to the wall, and you and your friends can play wallyball!
Cliff climbing anyone ?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 10:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
I think he's joking, because that's one of the most beautiful City Halls AND structures period in N. America.
if you're talking about me, i'm not at all joking. i think it's awful. how can the brain make any sense of it? it's like the architecture vomited beaux-arts detailing and ornement all of the place and didn't know when to stop. moreover, i just really hate the whole beaux-arts infestation of north america.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
If it weren't for Mobiles skyline losing its second tallest skyscraper, and putting a gap in the skyline, I would suggest razing this 60's box.

I've heard they are at least going to replace the windows, and maybe a little hope on recladding it, let's hope it happens.
A reclad would do wonders to that box.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 11:42 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
God is Merciful and Forgiving, yes, even toward ARCHITORTURIST Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe [Twin Towers on Lake Shore Drive and the Hideously ugly IBM PLAZA]

and He is Merciful and Forgiving toward the dumbfuck who designed the new addition to the Chicago Art Museum...=[It looks like a fucking 1960's airport terminal].

I'm also not fond of the corn cobs, the parking should have been under the river and the main buildings should have been taller, and white, not that tan shit color.

Poor Steely Dan.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 5:12 AM
Laissez-Faire Forever!

Quote:

I think that Mobile's now having a respectable tallest building (Battle House Tower is possibly the best name, ever, for a skyscraper, as well) is the perfect excuse to dynamite that evil cereal box, and put in something nice. I particularly like that one on the right.

Man, why did the 60's, of all eras, accept so much crapitecture?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterMileSidewalk View Post
Man, why did the 60's, of all eras, accept so much crapitecture?
Perhaps because Suburbia took off, and Architects didn't give much thought to what they design in Inner City areas.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 7:15 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Perhaps because Suburbia took off, and Architects didn't give much thought to what they design in Inner City areas.
I think the cities were trying to keep people by shedding the old gritty image and trying to modernize. Bad move.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture