HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 5:07 PM

Until last April I lived downtown and I own a lot of property downtown, I'm not a one-time suburban visitor saying "downtown is dead". I'm saying downtown isn't there yet, but it's getting there.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 5:25 PM

NOT HIGH!!!!!! (OMG - That is why people are annoyed by your comments. Look where you took the dialog!) Every city is dead on a Sunday night compared to any other night of the week. It is human nature to be more at home on a Sunday night. I wasn't saying Phoenix is thriving, just made an obvious observation as to why maybe not too many peeps were out on Sunday night...... why did i even reply to this?????? LOL!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I'm high? Your the one judging population by Sunday night dinnertime

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Look where you took the dialog
You immediately told me after my comment that I was wrong. You're telling me I took the dialogue here, now.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 7:09 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
You guys are really stretching to make it seem like Phoenix is a hotbed...

Look, the city is better than it used to be but it's not quite there yet. Just accept/admit that and lets move on to something else. I'm not saying I expected 20 people waiting for the walk sign at each intersection but I walked from Whining Pig to Angel's Trumpet and could count on one hand how many people I saw. If you're telling me that's normal for a big city (especially New York, as you mentioned) you're high as a kite.
I can say for a fact that cities even like Chicago are pretty slow on Sundays. I know as I used to go there around 5 times per year on average when I lived in Ohio and spent my weekends there. I always had a hard time finding places in the core of Chicago on Sundays since a lot of places were closed (aside from a few of the famous hotspots). LA is also pretty dead on Sundays. San Diego is slow except along the waterfront. San Francisco is even slow except around Chinatown or the Pier. Same can be said for nearly any major city I've ever been to. Sunday nights are just not a time most people get out, even for dinner. The weekend is winding down, people are getting things in order for work Monday morning and a lot of businesses simply close by 6. The only exceptions are when there are events going on.

As for the rest of the week, Phoenix has come along immensely when it comes to it's Downtown activity. I'm down here every single day for work. I walk 3 miles around Downtown during my lunch every day. And then a few evenings per week, I walk around after work to check out the construction progress. I have noticed big changes over the last couple of years. There are still some slow areas. This will change with the completion of the Stewart, Link and hopefully Derby. Fry's and Barrister will activate entire blocks and the AC Marriott along with the residential tower are going to push AZ Center into the territory never seen since it was built.

It will be a whole new Downtown in a year from now...but still slow on Sundays.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 7:31 PM

Well explained Ronnie!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:58 PM

ASU capitol improvement PLan

https://public.azregents.edu/Shared%...e-CMT-Book.pdf

Pages 45-50 have the new lab building info, looks like its going to be the northern half of the lot at 4th street facing Garfield.

7 stories of labs so if its floors are as tall as the UofA building this should actually be pretty tall over the neighboring apartments.

Construction start: August 18'

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 7:20 PM

John Spevacek takes a look at the #growth #ASUdowntown has brought to the heart of #Phoenix.
https://t.co/QKpkCFlUu6

Interesting article.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 4:14 PM

ASU may receive city assistance for Thunderbird School relocation

New article on Downtown Devil

https://downtowndevil.com/2018/03/14...ol-relocation/
Quote:
The agreement includes a proposed $13.5 million from the city’s Downtown Community Reinvestment Fund for the development of graduate student housing and an educational building to house the Thunderbird School.
Is this stating that new graduate student housing will be built?? I don't think I remember ever reading about this...

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
New article on Downtown Devil

https://downtowndevil.com/2018/03/14...ol-relocation/

Is this stating that new graduate student housing will be built?? I don't think I remember ever reading about this...
First I've heard of it. The subcommittee agenda seems to confirm that there will be a new student housing building, but doesn't really give any details:

Quote:
ASU will be investing approximately $100 million in downtown Phoenix for Thunderbird including $60 million for the new educational facility, $30 million for a graduate student housing building, and $10 million in interim improvements for the school to locate downtown in the fall of 2018.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
First I've heard of it. The subcommittee agenda seems to confirm that there will be a new student housing building, but doesn't really give any details:
Great find and great news! Wonder which empty lot will be use and hopefully get some decent height out of it

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 3:58 AM

Last edited by Classical in Phoenix; Apr 5, 2018 at 4:50 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
85,000 square feet does not sound very large. Is this another 7 story building?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
85,000 square feet does not sound very large. Is this another 7 story building?
Only like 4 or 5 it’s going on the empty corner by the law school

https://azbex.com/wp-content/uploads...rd-620x264.gif

https://azbex.com/asu-to-move-thunde...r-development/

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Only like 4 or 5 it’s going on the empty corner by the law school
Fine with me. The two schools a really great job of bringing unique and 'cool' looking buildings downtown.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 5:45 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
Fine with me. The two schools a really great job of bringing unique and 'cool' looking buildings downtown.
I love the design. But I was kind of wondering about the sq. footage myself. Isn't the Thunderbird campus larger than the building they are proposing?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 6:54 AM

Why hasn't ANYONE with power ever called ASU on doing exactly the opposite of what they promised when they announced their DT plans in 05ish? How many documents can you find that talk about integrating into the community, activating the streets, and being a 'city' campus mixed with other DT professional uses? The SRC which drew students out of the Y and into a sanitized lowrise was the start and since then, their projects have been fails. They should have been forced into providing housing for grads/grad students much sooner, given the amount of rentals provided privately vs. Taylor Place. These dorms should have been combined with the Law School for a 20 or so story mixed use building.

Now, the already weak Law School is going to be completed with a 4-5 story single-use building? ASU shouldn't control entire city blocks... the remaining parcel should have been sold off and a mid-hi rise residential along with the Hampton Inn, potential OCPE Condos, etc., would have kept what is now a defined lowrise campus deadzone. They also should have had to give back the land RFPd to them on the PBC once the partnership with that doctor dissolved. That entire campus is a wreck, but well-designed lots fronting EC would have helped make up for it. ANOTHER ABC123, IVTSB709899 midrise with NOTHING relevant to its surroundings? Why the hell can this not be built on top of one of the XYZs for a, gasp, more efficient use of land? Anyone?

Until the PBC develops vertically and includes uses such as healthy lifestyle student living, vocational programs/higher ed (dental school, optometry, veterinary), fitness (gyms, healthy eateries), wellness (masseuses, chiropractors, alternative med), etc., it is a total bust. A tiered 6-8-10 story residential building with urban farms on the rooftops, central community garden, farm-to-table restaurant, yoga studio, and classes in Art within STEAM, and maybe a small gallery displaying sustainable desert food growth would have been appropriate for a 1/2 lot in EC.

Why not get those brilliant Thunderbird alum to form a Foundation with its HQ, incubator, and go-to-market space on the PBC so that the jobs gained can transform into major lifts for the PHX economy? Why not get PetSmart to relocate or at least sponsor a vet school, shelter, and store? A flagship Mountainside Fitness? Nah. Let's build... a garage with 5 floors of copper!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 7:37 PM

ASU helped spur downtown Phoenix's development. What's next for the university?

Some updates regarding ASU Downtown...

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ow/1568857002/
Quote:
A new dorm, lab space and a central cooling plant could be coming to downtown Phoenix as part of Arizona State University's continued expansion.

ASU President Michael Crow said he sees the downtown campus as being only halfway to its goal.

ASU now has about 12,000 students in downtown Phoenix. The school probably needs two more dorms and another classroom building to accommodate growth, Crow said.

"Could we have a 20,000-student campus in the center of downtown Phoenix? Probably," Crow said.

He wants to see more programs and space for the school downtown, and he has a grand vision for upping Phoenix's downtown profile.

"We want to have the greatest journalism school that humans have ever built. We want to have a nursing college that's, like, unbelievable. ... All in all, we're about 50 percent of the way towards being this really, really powerful, the best of the best of the best, urban campuses in the country," he said.

When will ASU reach 100 percent, in Crow's eyes?

"For me, it's like, we need to do it tomorrow," he said.

Realistically, he thinks a lot can be achieved in the next five or six years.

ASU currently has 32 buildings and nearly 2.7 million square feet of space in downtown Phoenix.

What could be coming?
Several projects are already in the works for ASU in downtown Phoenix.

The university announced last year that the Thunderbird School of Global Management, previously based in Glendale, would relocate to a spot downtown next to the Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law.

The new school is expected to open in 2021. Thunderbird students are taking classes this semester in rented space at the Arizona Center.

Other plans are not as firm, but ASU has mentioned a new dorm, lab space, central plant and office building in public documents. ASU's most recent Capital Improvement Plan mentions multiple projects, though these plans can change, and scant details are available at this time.

Here's what else could be on the way:

Innovation dorm: ASU has been named No. 1 in innovation by U.S. News & World Report for the past four years. Now, that innovation is moving into the dorms. ASU plans to build an innovation-themed dorm just north of the downtown YMCA. It will house between 250 and 450 students and target upperclassmen and graduate students, including those attending Thunderbird. The dorm would be built as a public/private partnership, as many of ASU's recent dorms have been.

Crow said students who live there would have the opportunity to start and incubate companies in the building. The downtown campus will probably need another regular dorm eventually as well, Crow said.

Lab building: ASU partnered with private research company Wexford Science and Technology on more lab space near the Phoenix Biomedical Campus downtown. Wexford will own the seven-story building, expected to open in 2019, and ASU plans to rent about half the building. ASU has budgeted $40 million for the project.

Central plant: ASU's most recent Capital Improvement Plan filed with the Arizona Board of Regents mentions an idea to partner with the University of Arizona on a chilled water central plant to supply the two schools' cooling needs downtown.

"The plant will provide chilled water to meet current and future needs at a substantially reduced rate, resulting in increasing savings as existing supplier contracts expire," the plan says.

New building for the arts: The Capital Improvement Plan mentions a new office and classroom building to accommodate the increased academic programs downtown, including a "new, centralized location for the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts."

Parking structure: The plan also calls for a 500-800 space parking structure downtown to meet demand. The structure would have mixed commercial and retail use on the ground level, the plan says.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 8:33 PM
Modulator

So I'm curious. Is the dorm going to be in addition to the student housing that will get built as part of the Central Station development, or is this going to be as part of the Central Station project?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
So I'm curious. Is the dorm going to be in addition to the student housing that will get built as part of the Central Station development, or is this going to be as part of the Central Station project?
Says north of the ymca, for some reason I remeber an article or a rumor about asu buying or planning to develop the swc of Filmore and 1st ave across from the circle k

Idk why that’s in my head

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest