HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 2:16 PM
TL;DR

^ I would love to see a successful hotel here, I'm just skeptical... regardless of what the developer and the Crain's author says. The Medical District has existed for over 100 years, but there's never been a significant hotel demand before.

I suppose there might be a market for downtown overflow here, especially if they offer free/validated parking with easy in/easy out. It could be a less expensive way for tourists or business travelers to stay near downtown and take an Uber or CTA to the Loop.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ I would love to see a successful hotel here, I'm just skeptical... regardless of what the developer and the Crain's author says. The Medical District has existed for over 100 years, but there's never been a significant hotel demand before.

I suppose there might be a market for downtown overflow here, especially if they offer free/validated parking with easy in/easy out. It could be a less expensive way for tourists or business travelers to stay near downtown and take an Uber or CTA to the Loop.
I dont think its truthful to say there was no demand for it. There's so many hotels nearby downtown that people just did that or sought after longer term home rentals.

As i have said before, I grew up in a place where one of the top hospitals in the country is. There were families of patients constantly looking for longer term hotels with kitchens and what not. There are multiple independent hotels that cater to this there because there is a demand. I obviously don't live there anymore, but my parents do and there has been a ton of investment around realizing even more that this demand was greater than they realized before for many years. It has taken the form now of new restaurants, retail business, etc besides hotels. Huge investment all around in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

I guarantee you there is demand, especially if you set up the hotel right, for families of patients who are not local. If Rush is having enough patients from out of the area, there is demand for the families of patients. And especially given many hotel prices downtown - if you are going to be spending most of the day at the hospital, or a good % of days, then staying closer has its benefits especially when the prices are actually catered towards people in your situation.

Last edited by marothisu; Jul 31, 2020 at 3:12 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 2:58 PM
The City

Quote:

^ Prior to COVID, at least, the downtown boom had started to overflow and bring attention to areas (yes, even the IMD) and improve their viability. Especially with the more recent surge of activity in the West Loop, which is only a few L stops away.

In addition, pre-COVID hotel rates kept rising, and during busy weekends it was increasingly hard to get a decent hotel room downtown without paying ridiculous rates. So I do think that we were moving in the direction where perhaps some "release valve" hotels built outside of downtown, particularly close to high activity centers like the IMD would be viable.

Post-COVID....all bets are off

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 3:55 PM
TL;DR

The other weird one is Hyatt Place at North/Ashland... ???

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 4:03 PM

Quote:
The other weird one is Hyatt Place at North/Ashland... ???
That one makes more sense than the Midtown Athletic Club hotel. There's still a bunch of stuff on North startimg around there and it's only a half mile (10 minutes walk) to the heart of Milwaukee Ave in Wicker Park. 10-15 minute walk to 2 Blue line stops too. Not a bad option for people driving into the city either who want an alright hotel near a bunch of stuff. Although their parking is just as expensive as downtown.

But at the end of the day, not everyone is here to be downtown. Some people are on business for companies located outside of.the Loop too or maybe they want options closer to family/friends. Shpuld be obvious as well from the popularity of Airbnb in the neighborhoods.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
That one makes more sense than the Midtown Athletic Club hotel. There's still a bunch of stuff on North startimg around there and it's only a half mile (10 minutes walk) to the heart of Milwaukee Ave in Wicker Park. 10-15 minute walk to 2 Blue line stops too. Not a bad option for people driving into the city either who want an alright hotel near a bunch of stuff. Although their parking is just as expensive as downtown.

But at the end of the day, not everyone is here to be downtown. Some people are on business for companies located outside of.the Loop too or maybe they want options closer to family/friends. Shpuld be obvious as well from the popularity of Airbnb in the neighborhoods.
The lack of neighborhood hotels has always struck me as curious considering one of Chicago's biggest draws is that it's a "city of neighborhoods." If I was a tourist I'd rather stay in Logan Square, Lincoln Park or Pilsen than near the Mag Mile. Imagine visiting Chicago for three days and only seeing The Loop/River North and maybe Wrigleyville or Chinatown.

Glad to see hotel options outside of downtown sprouting up over the past few years.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 6:14 PM
The City

^ There has been some NIMBYism preventing their development as well

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

The midtown athletic club hotel's rationale is that they host national tennis tournaments and camps. I think it's like 10 rooms.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
The lack of neighborhood hotels has always struck me as curious considering one of Chicago's biggest draws is that it's a "city of neighborhoods." If I was a tourist I'd rather stay in Logan Square, Lincoln Park or Pilsen than near the Mag Mile. Imagine visiting Chicago for three days and only seeing The Loop/River North and maybe Wrigleyville or Chinatown.

Glad to see hotel options outside of downtown sprouting up over the past few years.
I agree completely. And again, airbnb has shown that people are more than willing to stay all over the city.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I agree, I thought for sure the later phases of Gateway would die on the vine. Happy to see they have permits for the hotel and residential phases. I'm still skeptical until I see groundbreaking, though. It will be nice to have the street grid restored in this area (assuming they didn't chicken out of this feature from NIMBYs).

Also, how much hotel demand is there really at this location? They already opened two flags in the old Cook County Hospital, and there is a Marriott on Ashland. Is a fourth hotel needed? Residential should be successful, there are plenty of IMD workers and students that are ending up further and further away from campus, and Rush just tore down a huge chunk of student housing to build their new outpatient center.
I reported months ago that they were putting some serious money into potholing the rest of the site. The Gateway developers have been indicating movement here for a while.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
The midtown athletic club hotel's rationale is that they host national tennis tournaments and camps. I think it's like 10 rooms.
It's actually 55 rooms, not 10:
https://www.midtown.com/chicago

Quote:
As a hotel guest, you're an honorary member of our world-class athletic club. You’ll enjoy one of our 55 rooms, featuring contemporary design elements with luxury amenities and breathtaking city views. Four suites are available, including a two-story penthouse suite with a private balcony and one suite designed by tennis star Venus Williams.
The rationale could make sense - the hotel actually looks nice. Convention and events hotels are a bit different of a story in regards to location.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 1:31 AM

Calatrava

July 20

July 27

Aug 3

still a few more pieces to go.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 1:47 AM

Dude knows how to design a sculpture!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 3:50 AM

Wabash and Lake

July 20

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 3:51 AM

The Calatrava is an Instant Icon.

This calls for a dancing banana.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 4:25 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
July 20
Aug 3

still a few more pieces to go.

What time were you on the Lake Bridge on August 3rd? I passed by there probably 2:15 pm or so. Took this picture just before (not sure what project is in the background)

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
What time were you on the Lake Bridge on August 3rd? I passed by there probably 2:15 pm or so. Took this picture just before (not sure what project is in the background)
Missed you by about 1/2 hr and 20' - that is from the Green line heading home. The building in the background of your shot is 800 W Fulton.

If you see what looks like a balding Santa with a DSLR that may be me - say hi.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 8:02 PM

Flying bikes on LSD

July 23

Looking like a broader path that cuts through part of the stairwell for the tower.
Chicago | Bikeway by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

where did it go ?

July 29

Chicao | Gikeway by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Chicao | Gikeway by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 10:30 PM

Tribune Tower Rehab

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 4:30 PM

wow.. Wabash/Lake really snuck up on me

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development