HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 28, 2014, 8:08 PM

Old Posted Jun 28, 2014, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Why not put some damn benches along there, so students can sit and enjoy shade from the overhang? Come on.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2014, 8:51 PM
Honored Member

It has been awhile since a picture has been posted so thanks Dmajackson.

I also like this one that you took - https://www.flickr.com/photos/urban_...x/14505549616/

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
Why not put some damn benches along there, so students can sit and enjoy shade from the overhang? Come on.
I suspect they will. Dal is fairly good about that. Benches are usually one of the last things to go in.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 11:11 AM

New Dal housing officially opens
FRANCES WILLICK EDUCATION REPORTER
Published September 4, 2014 - 6:12pm

Quote:

Dalhouse University’s newest residence LeMarchant Place, a new 165,000-square-foot building at the corner of South and LeMarchant streets, officially opened its doors on Thursday. (CHRISTIAN LAFORCE / Staff)

The green roof isn’t quite green yet, but the paint has dried and students have moved into the newest residence at Dalhousie University.

LeMarchant Place, a new 165,000-square-foot building at the corner of South and LeMarchant streets, officially opened its doors on Thursday.

The seven-storey structure has 143 residential units, accommodates 326 students and also houses various student services, including an international centre, a health clinic and counselling offices.

“It’s marvellous, particularly the views of Wickwire Field,” said Dalhousie president Richard Florizone during the opening.

“For those of you who aren’t students, I’ll tell you, it’ll make you want to be a student again.

Read More : TheChronicleHerald.ca

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 5:31 PM

Can they tear down Eliza Ritchie Hall now?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 5:53 PM
BUILD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgregor View Post
Can they tear down Eliza Ritchie Hall now?
Eliza Ritchie has been threatened to be demolished for ages now. When I did my frosh week in 2009, the leaders then were saying "this will probably be the last year Eliza is around"...

The longer we wait, the closer it gets to "heritage status". I can already see Phil and crew defending Eliza saying "its original bluish tone of vinyl siding adds true character and complements the brutalist structure adjacent to it.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcclassic View Post
Eliza Ritchie has been threatened to be demolished for ages now. When I did my frosh week in 2009, the leaders then were saying "this will probably be the last year Eliza is around"...

The longer we wait, the closer it gets to "heritage status". I can already see Phil and crew defending Eliza saying "its original bluish tone of vinyl siding adds true character and complements the brutalist structure adjacent to it.
Most of that isn't all that old, am I correct? Like, 1980s or so? I know there is an older part but most of it is newer, no? I remember seeing it being built and when it was finished wondering why they bothered. It was so pedestrian and small.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 6:28 PM
BUILD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Most of that isn't all that old, am I correct? Like, 1980s or so? I know there is an older part but most of it is newer, no? I remember seeing it being built and when it was finished wondering why they bothered. It was so pedestrian and small.
You're correct about its age Keith. According to Dal.ca, it opened in 1987. Why they did such a piss poor job building it is beyond me. Maybe others here do?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 6:41 PM

Quote:
You're correct about its age Keith. According to Dal.ca, it opened in 1987. Why they did such a piss poor job building it is beyond me. Maybe others here do?

http://www.library.dal.ca/duasc/buil...itchieHall.htm

not very old, but then the Dal Rink was completed just a few years before

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 5:41 AM

Quote:

This is ingenius.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth