HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 5:34 AM

Scottsdale Quarter + new iPic Theatre

Went and checked out the new iPic Theatres at the Scottsdale Quarter tonight. This place is insane...it's like the W Scottsdale mixed with a movie theatre.

First, the seats. Wow. They are unbelievably plush, and they recline. Each has a swiveling table to place your drink/food on which is served by one of many waiters. You get a blanket or pillow if you wish and a "free" popcorn plus valet parking. I say "free" because tickets are $25 once they open this Friday.

They are doing free movies and food and drinks (cocktails, beers, wine) Monday and Tuesday but you have to make reservations. Seriously check it out.

Now about Scottsdale Quarter. This place is seriously impressing me. I know it's a "fake" downtown scene but it works. Coupled with Kierland Commons across the street (and I understand they are working on putting a stop light/crosswalk there), you have a seriously large pedestrian area that really feels urban. They did a great job with mixing up the architecture, the place has some really nice restaurants and more to come. I need to stop by with the nice camera both day and night and take some good shots as these were snapped with my cell phone while walking back to the car.

[b]Lounge area inside theatre...

And the bar.

Concession area.

Bathrooms. Tell me these don't look like a high end hotel, right?

Angus Beef Sliders, delicious even though they don't look it in the picture.

Premium seats. They also have more normal seats that don't recline for a cheaper price but you gotta do these.

Ticket "booth". It's like checking into a hotel.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 1:58 PM
BANNED

That Apple Store is amazing! I went there before I moved.

The Quarter is looking good now! Thanks for the updated pics.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 5:36 PM

By the way, here is the link if you guys want to check it out today or tomorrow. I suggest you do, especially since its free and you're getting quite a bit. Our mock bill (they gave us one for practice purposes) was $93 not including the movie tickets. With tickets, it would have been $193 for 4 people.

http://www.ipictheaters.com/mock-service.html

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 6:46 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^ I was thinking about it, but my choices are INCEPTION, SALT or SEX AND THE CITY 2? No thanks. I already saw INCEPTION, it was 'meh' and the other two just seem horrible. Is it going to be a 2nd run theater or is that just for this trial run?

It almost seems to me like they'd have a better chance being successful as a revival theater rather than showing whatever new movies people can see anywhere else.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
By the way, here is the link if you guys want to check it out today or tomorrow. I suggest you do, especially since its free and you're getting quite a bit. Our mock bill (they gave us one for practice purposes) was $93 not including the movie tickets. With tickets, it would have been $193 for 4 people.

http://www.ipictheaters.com/mock-service.html
I just reserved Inception tomorrow at 5:15. Anyone else going to be there?

Is there a dress code? Was everything free except for the seat upgrade? Did you do the upgrade?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 6:55 PM

The 2nd run shows are just for this trial run, they will have the same movies as all the Harkins/AMC. It's really a destination itself aside from the movies so I think people will definitely go here to see first run movies. Probably not all the time, especially if you see a lot of movies, but once in a while or on a date or with visitors from out of town. It's also 21+ after 7pm which is nice.

We saw Salt and it was good...nothing award winning but an entertaining action flick. And for free...with free food and booze, you really can't go wrong. It's worth going just to see how amazing the theatre itself is.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 1:44 AM

Funny how I have no interest in going to places like this anymore.

--don

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 5:56 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
My sister went and checked it out tonight. She said "Salt" was lame as expected ,but that the theater was very nice and she'd try it again for a date or special occasion. She did say the chicken fingers and quesadilla she had were absolutely horrible and borderline inedible, but was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 7:06 AM

Well what the hell did she get chicken fingers and quesadilla for? I thought the Angus Beef Sliders were very good. But then again I also liked Salt, I thought it was an entertaining action movie.

Tempe_Duck: Yes, everything was free, including the upgrade actually. They asked on the phone if we want to pay $5 to upgrade and I said yes, but when we go there they never said anything about it.

It's absolutely worth it even if they do charge you the $5 so if you didn't get it, call and see if you still can. There are some big differences such as the seats which are a bit larger...a lot softer...and they recline (legs up and the whole deal). You also get waiter service at your seat whereas the regular seats you can't order food there, you have to buy it in the lobby and bring it in with you. There is no dress code but people overall were dressed "nicer". Nothing special...a clean pair of jeans and a t-shirt/long sleeve would be fine...just no PJs or anything like that which I've seen at other theatres.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 4:12 PM
BANNED

I'm not expecting this to be a long lasting hit. That's a lot of coin for a movie.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 5:07 PM

I think it will last, even if they have to adjust their pricing. They put way too much money into that place to let it fail. It's a full on theatre with 8 screens...not like it's some small boutique theatre. You really do have to see it in person though...everyone I know that went was wowed and said would definitely go back.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 7:39 PM
BANNED

Oh i dont think it will fail as a buainess. I think it will just not be a huge success.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest