HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 12:53 AM
TL;DR

That little taper at the top of the dome's outside is beautiful.

The massive spiral ducts on the inside? Not so much. You'd think for the mega-billions they're spending, they could afford some custom sheet-metal ducts that fit inside the thickness of the dome's walls.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
That little taper at the top of the dome's outside is beautiful.

The massive spiral ducts on the inside? Not so much. You'd think for the mega-billions they're spending, they could afford some custom sheet-metal ducts that fit inside the thickness of the dome's walls.
Pretty sure those will be relocated or covered up.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 3:16 PM

Fantastic article about the brilliant design/engineering of the oculus. This station is such a humble little badass.

Reconnecting the Subway with the Sky
http://www.archdaily.com/370396/reco...-with-the-sky/

"...The dome’s interior surface is lined with a cable net whose nearly 1,000 anodized aluminum panels redirect sunlight into the subway system below...The net itself is a form-found structure, meaning that it assumes a specific shape as a result of the forces applied to and within it. (Fabric roofs are another example of this type of structure.) Stretching between the oculus ring and the two floors below it, the net terminates one and a half stories above street level..."

(Many more diagrams, photos, and renderings in the article.)

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 6:07 PM
TL;DR

Oh, so this hyperboloid liner will conceal the ducts behind a mesh of glass panels. Interesting. That mockup looks amazing.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 7:42 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Hey, not sure if anyone noticed before...but for the past year or so, this has been known simply as the Fulton Center. Because much of the center will be devoted to retail and office space, it is no longer just a transfer point for the various subway lines and the reason why the name was simplified. Just thought I'd bring this up so a mod can update the thread's title which is obviously long overdue.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 12:26 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 9:05 PM

My goodness, look at this beauty. (More pictures in the link.)

NY Times

“It’s almost like you’ve taken the whole sky and folded it in,” said James Carpenter, the designer of the “Sky Reflector-Net” at the Fulton Center, under construction at Broadway and Fulton Street.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...bway-crossing/

Sunlight in Store for Downtown Subway Crossing
By DAVID W. DUNLAP
June 13, 2013

Quote:
Most subway artwork sits within a station. Now comes a subway station that sits within an artwork.

Or at least that’s how it may feel next year when the Fulton Center opens in Lower Manhattan and its artistic centerpiece — a curving, 79-foot-high net of reflective aluminum diamonds set in a stainless-steel tracery — sends ambient daylight into mezzanines, passageways and perhaps even passenger platforms.

The structure, James Carpenter’s “Sky Reflector-Net,” is the largest single work ever commissioned by Arts for Transit and Urban Design, a unit of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority. It has just been installed within the conical dome of the Fulton Center at Broadway and Fulton Street, designed by Grimshaw Architects. The center is the monumental headhouse for five stations serving the 2, 3, 4, 5, A, C, J, Z and R lines.

The “Sky Reflector-Net” cost about $2.1 million. The total budget for the Fulton Center is $1.4 billion, almost twice as much as the original estimate in 2003.

Above all, the artwork is intended to help travelers orient themselves within this labyrinth, which was constructed piecemeal over the years.

“When you’re coming up from the subway, the greatest way-finding aid is natural light,” said Craig Covil, a principal in the engineering firm Arup, which is working on the Fulton Center with Grimshaw and James Carpenter Design Associates.

The net’s 8,500-square-foot surface will change constantly, supplemented by prismatic glass blades suspended at the top of the dome that will scatter light rays through the interior.

Vincent Chang, a partner in Grimshaw, likened the effect to sun dappling. “It’s a visual movement that’s arresting to the eye,” he said. “Diurnally and seasonally, it will always be different.”

With that, Mr. Chang was interrupted, collegially, by Uday R. Durg, a senior vice president of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s capital construction division. “But what does it do for my passengers?” Mr. Durg asked.

“It’s a moment of respite,” Mr. Chang replied, “like at Grand Central Terminal, where you can stand at the balconies and watch the world go by.”

And that gets to things the “Sky Reflector-Net” may provide that transportation officials cannot measure: delight, astonishment, perhaps even awe — the “Wow” factor.

“We needed something magical downtown after all that had happened,” said Sandra Bloodworth, the director of Arts for Transit and Urban Design, during a tour of the Fulton Center last week.

She used the same adjective nine years ago, explaining that Mr. Carpenter had been picked to join the design team in part because his work was concerned with “how light moves across a space, the way it refracts and the way it reflects to create an atmosphere and environment that can be, at times, magical.”

Magic needs specs to get built.

The “Sky Reflector-Net” starts with a crisscross network of stainless-steel cables held between two enormous rings. The upper ring, under the skylight, is 53 feet in diameter and has been installed at a 23-degree angle. The lower ring, which is used to bring the entire net into tension, is 74 feet in diameter and tilted 12 degrees.

Among the cables, 952 perforated aluminum panels have been fastened. Most panels are diamond-shaped. Those at the top and bottom edges of the net are triangular. The largest diamond panel is a bit over eight feet tall. Each panel is slightly different than the next. They were numerically coded for proper installation.

The panels’ aluminum surface reflects about 95 percent of the light that strikes it, Mr. Carpenter said, but it is not a mirror. Instead, the surface is stippled, which ever so slightly diffuses the light. The amount of perforation varies.

The net was assembled by TriPyramid Structures of Westford, Mass., and hung in the Fulton Center in May. Except for an outlier or two, panel installation was finished last Friday.

Looking over the almost completed net on a rainy morning in late May, Mr. Carpenter described the effect of a clear day. “It’s almost like you’ve taken the whole sky and folded it in,” he said.

That sounded like designer talk; poetic, but hyperbolic. On a return visit last week, however, when the weather was clear, it appeared almost as if the whole sky had been folded into the dome.

In the end, the public’s impression will depend on how sensitively the retailing and dining spaces around the dome are designed. Commercial tenants at the Fulton Center will want to stand out. Conceivably, they could create enough visual distraction that the net’s subtle palette recedes.

But if “Sky Reflector-Net” stands out as clearly next year as it does now, “magical” may not be too strong a word.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 10:20 PM

Between this and the WTC Transportation Hub (over-budget as it might be) Lower Manhattan is going to have the two newest and best transportation hubs in the city! An incredible art fixture there!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 2:18 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
My goodness, look at this beauty. (More pictures in the link.)

NY Times

Fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Between this and the WTC Transportation Hub (over-budget as it might be) Lower Manhattan is going to have the two newest and best transportation hubs in the city! An incredible art fixture there!
Yeah, these two transportation centers will be worthy destinations in their own rights, same as Grand Central. (Let's get it together Penn!)

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 4:47 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yeah, these two transportation centers will be worthy destinations in their own rights, same as Grand Central. (Let's get it together Penn!)
This is coming together so wonderfully.

And I'm glad you said that because you bring me...to my point...that I was about to make: While these two new transit hubs are under construction, passers-by are thinking "bleh what do we need this sh*t for." but once they're open every New Yorker will be proud of and brag about them.

....and that in turn, will bring to gruesome light for everyone, if nothing else already has, how inadequate and embarrassing Penn Station currently is. The owners are afraid of the politicians, city council, etc. trying to force their operating permits to a limit (which I fully support), but if it were me, I'd be afraid of these two new stations downtown reaching their opening day. That will likely be the wake-up call to the general public.

suckazz.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 7:30 AM
TL;DR

Holy sh*t.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 3:43 PM

World Architecture Day 2013 is taking place in NYC and is offering tours of many high-profile buildings.

Fulton Street Transit Center is on the list. So if you're already attending, or have $630 to drop on registering for the event, you can take advantage of the opportunity!

http://www.worldarchitectureday2013..../building.html

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 12:54 AM

from yesterday...
looks just about done on the exterior

Did a great job on the restoration. Corbin building looks stunning

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 1:47 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.downtownexpress.com/2013/...-june-opening/

Small business not as usual as Fulton subway center nears its June opening

December 11, 2013
BY SAM SPOKONY

Quote:
An M.T.A. official said on Wednesday that Downtown small businesses that were displaced in 2005 by construction on the Fulton Center will not have first dibs on any of the transit hub’s retail space before it opens next year.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority has said it will announce the master lease holder for the Fulton Center’s 65,000 square feet of retail space within the next month. The winner will take charge of offering the market-rate rentals for retailers who want to open up shop in what the agency says will become the “Grand Central Terminal of Lower Manhattan.”

“We’re not forcing the master lessee to take [the displaced businesses] back, and they’ll have to go through the same process as anyone else,” said Michael Horodniceanu, president of the M.T.A.’s Capital Construction program, in response to a question from Councilmember Margaret Chin at a Council oversight hearing.

About 150 small businesses were displaced — or evicted, as Community Board 1 Chairperson Catherine McVay Hughes later said in her testimony at the hearing — by construction on the Fulton Center, which is expected to open in June 2014.

.....Several times at Wednesday’s hearing, Horodniceanu stressed that the M.T.A. is now “on time, and on budget” for the Fulton Center’s June opening, which had been delayed several times since it was originally estimated to be completed in 2007 at a cost of $750 million out of the post-9/11 federal transportation fund.

The total cost for construction of the center — which will connect 11 subway lines with an underground pathway to the World Trade Center PATH station, serving an estimated 300,000 daily passengers — is now $1.4 billion, according to the M.T.A.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 6:15 PM

The MTA released an awesome time-lapse about the installation of the transit center's art/architecture/engineering piece, Sky Reflector-Net.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 11:57 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
This is coming together so wonderfully.

And I'm glad you said that because you bring me...to my point...that I was about to make: While these two new transit hubs are under construction, passers-by are thinking "bleh what do we need this sh*t for." but once they're open every New Yorker will be proud of and brag about them.

....and that in turn, will bring to gruesome light for everyone, if nothing else already has, how inadequate and embarrassing Penn Station currently is. The owners are afraid of the politicians, city council, etc. trying to force their operating permits to a limit (which I fully support), but if it were me, I'd be afraid of these two new stations downtown reaching their opening day. That will likely be the wake-up call to the general public.

suckazz.
i never thought of it that way, but you're right. these stations will definately turn the public against penn. what a bonus lol!

and i say this as someone who was against fulton, i always thought fulton and 7th ave extension $$$ should have gone to toward all hands on deck 2nd avenue subway construction instead. but of course thats not political reality. and even tho personally i didnt mind it, it will be nice to have one less butt ugly rat maze of a subway station at fulton. and yeah it may even become a bit of a tourist destination sight. i guess ive come around about it lol!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 4:04 PM

"cool architecture"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i never thought of it that way, but you're right. these stations will definately turn the public against penn. what a bonus lol!

and i say this as someone who was against fulton, i always thought fulton and 7th ave extension $$$ should have gone to toward all hands on deck 2nd avenue subway construction instead. but of course thats not political reality. and even tho personally i didnt mind it, it will be nice to have one less butt ugly rat maze of a subway station at fulton. and yeah it may even become a bit of a tourist destination sight. i guess ive come around about it lol!
Tourism is very important to NYC.

And NYC, especially NY, NY, always has that battle between EXPENSIVE art & practicality for public architecture.

I was reminded of this battle/"discussion" topic by a friend's family's upcoming visit to Barcelona (my mind flashed to Calatrava) and his comment that a young adult daughter had found Barcelona "very nice", "cool architecture".

I also think StatenIslander237 did have a good NewYorkese translation of a common NY thought process: While these two new transit hubs are under construction, passers-by are thinking "bleh what do we need this sh*t for." but once they're open every New Yorker will be proud of and brag about them.

Since he wrote that in June '13 the City Council did NOT renew MSG's operating permit for perpetuity (which is a LONG time) & the NY pols DID secure funding for a section of Amtrak's Gateway tunnel box (3rd & 4th Hudson River tunnels to Penn Station).

AND the Phase 1 "Moynihan station" is making visible progress above street level. Phase 1 (there may never be a Phase II) is actually quite minor but will produce a significantly expanded West End Councourse (under the Farley PO) & two new Penn "station" entrances through Farley.

Come to think of it, IF the new West End Concourse looks like this render, it might increase pressure on redoing the main concourses. I have serious doubts that the west end of the platforms & infrastructure woulsd ever look as clean & weel lit as seen through the windows in the render on the left...

Last edited by vkristof; Dec 19, 2013 at 5:01 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 10:24 PM
Resident Moron

So, the mezzanine connecting the A/C platform to the J/Z had it's light strips fired up the other day when I was walking through (the 12-18" inset runs the length of the hallway). The main mezzaine which connects the A/C to Fulton proper also features the same lighting rig (that I have not seen fired up).

They are an insane neon rainbow pattern thing that I'm not a huge fan of. Kind of reminds me of a more modern version of the pedestrian walkways that run through O'Haire in Chicago.

They also left one of the doors open that are at the bottom of the stairwell leading to the A/C platform. Looks really nice on the inside of the station. Very large, very well lit by natural sunlight too. Still looks like it has more than 6 months to go to me though.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 9:32 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

today

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 6:36 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Second Avenue Sagas:

Fulton St. to open June 26
By Benjamin Kabak March 25, 2014

Quote:
As time marches on and the subways enjoy record-setting crowds (more on that later), various capital construction deadlines are fast approaching. As we know, two megaprojects — the 7 line extension and the Fulton St. Transit Center — are due to wrap this year, after nearly seven years of construction. Due to the delays plaguing the escalators and elevators at the deep 34th St. station along 11th Ave., the Fulton St. ribbon-cutting has leap-frogged the 7 line. According to MTA Board documents released yesterday, Fulton St. will open to public on Thursday, June 26, 2014. Save the date.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive