HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 7:34 PM
cities|transit|croissants

The ECLIPSE in CLEVELAND | Solar flares, trains, and big ornamented buildings

For decades I've been hoping to see a total solar eclipse. Ever since I was a kid. But they are hard to catch. In 2013 I caught a partial eclipse at the crack of dawn in DC. For 2017's total eclipse, I traveled to Columbia, South Carolina (photos), only for clouds to roll in at just the wrong moment; I got nothing. For 2024 my plan was Cleveland, the nearest big city to me in the path of totality. Cloud predictions were pessimistic, so we drove west to Lorain, Ohio, and found a captivating and clear spot on the shore of Lake Erie, and had our perfect four minutes.

See the pink spots? Yeah, those are solar flares, right at the limit of what my equipment and technical skill could capture. Here's a better photo from an acquaintance of mine. Just surreal to see in real life.

Alright. Let's go to Cleveland.

These are the Guardians of Traffic. Yes, that's what they're called, at least colloquially. I guess officially they're the sentinels of Hope Memorial Bridge, but c'mon. They're the inspiration for the name Cleveland Guardians, and I was very excited to spot them from I-90 passing by, lol.

Downtown Cleveland has some cool stuff, but on this trip I didn't go there. I'd been before, and wanted to see other places new to me. So instead, I went to Shaker Square, a cute old neighborhood built around a light rail stop:

Cleveland's light rail really is very charming, with old tracks through wide street medians and grassy rights-of-way. I wish trains came more often, but you could do a lot worse.

I like the diner built in to the station.

Light rail is nice, but let's talk about Cleveland's *weird* heavy metro line. First off, one has to admit it's notable just for existing. It's the only heavy metro in the US Midwest outside of Chicago, and it was the first in the US to serve an airport. So, good going Clevelanders of the 1950s! Sadly, amid a transit-hostile state government that still treats "inner cities" like it's 1985, The Rapid here hasn't received much love in 50 years. Service is bad, infrastructure is crumbling, ridership is abysmal.

Another weird thing is how, over the decades, the heavy metro and the light rail have evolved in each other's directions, become more and more alike. The difference between heavy metro and light rail is so blurry here that when Cleveland gets a new batch of trains later this decade, the trains they use on the metro and the trains they use on the light rail will be... exactly the same trains! At that point I'm not sure a distinction between them will be possible anymore.

But check out this el station, which could almost be Chicago or Philadelphia.

How much do you know about the history of zoning?

Big fan of these steps leading down to Lake Erie in Lakewood:

Not a bad place to watch a sunset.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 7:34 PM

Scroll ------------->

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 7:41 PM

Wow, that was a good spot to witness it.

They didn't make such a buzz of it in Europe. I only quickly saw some pictures from Indianapolis in the French media.
They said central Indiana and northern Ohio were proper places to enjoy the show.

It won't occur in Europe before a couple of years. The next one is expected in Spain, if I recall correctly what they said.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 8:56 PM

Nice photos but I don't know why more people didn't travel to Burlington to see the eclipse. I have a friend who went to Sugarbush with his family. They skied in the morning and then saw the eclipse, which sounds like an amazing day.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 1:08 AM

Further south got longer totality, had less chance of clouds, and a larger supply of hotel rooms.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 11:29 AM

I went back home to see my family in Ohio last weekend and of course to position myself within the totality zone for Monday eclipse. I was a little concerned about heading east whether the clouds would be a problem so I headed a little further south in Ohio to the Upper Sandusky area. I'm glad it worked out for you! Being along the lakefront would have been awesome, but Upper Sandusky worked out well for me as well.

I finally visited Cleveland last October for the first time since the summer of 94. Yes I grew up northern Ohio but my family always visited Cincinnati (Reds fans) and visited/lived in Columbus (as an OSU student) rather than spent any time in NE Ohio. There's more to see but I liked what I saw.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 7:56 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Nice pics - we caught the eclipse in our neighborhood (Tremont, one mile south of downtown) and no issues with clouds. I ended up just getting photos of the skyline as I don't have the proper setup for getting the eclipse itself. Definitely one of the most amazing experiences of my life (and I've had some doozies!).

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 8:12 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Yeah, we had clear skies in northern Columbus so the eclipse was incredible to watch. Great photos and Shaker Square is a gem.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:47 AM

i experienced ECLIPSE decade ago, but not much of impression, maybe it was a fake.

good to see the newly-built tower fits in skyline in harmony, now i worried about detroit's.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:52 PM

Thanks for sharing your photos! I appreciate the transit focus of this thread, and I think it really shows Cleveland at its best. Shaker Square and the neighboring communities of Shaker and Cleveland Heights are really special. You have some really stunning upscale multi-family buildings around Shaker Square, several walkable retail strips for residents to access like Larchmere, Coventry, the Square itself, Cedar-Lee, etc., rail running through the street medians offering quick and easy access to downtown Cleveland, good schools, beautiful historic single family homes, mature trees, etc. It's also right up the hill from Little Italy and all the museums and cultural institutions of University Circle. It's a pretty diverse area, politically fairly liberal...really has all the ingredients I'd look for in a community. It's definitely among the best Ohio has to offer.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:17 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

yay lakeview park in lorain makes ssp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Nice photos but I don't know why more people didn't travel to Burlington to see the eclipse. I have a friend who went to Sugarbush with his family. They skied in the morning and then saw the eclipse, which sounds like an amazing day.
well yeah for some -- burlington is hella expensive all the time. i can only imagine the limited lodging prices during the eclipse.

Old Posted Today, 1:11 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post

How much do you know about the history of zoning?
Apparently not enough, as I have no idea what your question is cryptically referencing.

But great photos!

Skaker Square is a streetcar suburban dream!

Too bad American didn't just continue riding that train.

Old Posted Today, 1:31 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Apparently not enough, as I have no idea what your question is cryptically referencing.
https://www.planetizen.com/definition/euclidean-zoning

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos