HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 5:32 AM

Irving Oil shared a photo of their newly completed headquarters.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 2:38 PM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
Irving Oil shared a photo of their newly completed headquarters.
That would be so much nicer if it had just four more floors added to it, stepped back a bit at the top. Still a nice addition to uptown.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:50 AM

Small office building is being constructed on Exmouth St with access from Waterloo St
Unconfirmed rumour real estate agent Judy Mitchell is building 4 town homes on the Mecklenburg St lot that used to have recycling bins.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Small office building is being constructed on Exmouth St with access from Waterloo St
Unconfirmed rumour real estate agent Judy Mitchell is building 4 town homes on the Mecklenburg St lot that used to have recycling bins.
The vacant lot where the recycling bins used to be is made up of four properties all of which were purchased on the same day April 30, 2019 so that adds some credibility to the rumour.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 4:58 PM

A permit to demolish gothic arches has been applied for.

UPDATE: The permit has been approved

Last edited by ColSJ; Nov 29, 2019 at 1:43 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 1:13 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
New four-unit infill development proposed for the corner of Charlotte and Queen Square South. Images below are from Wednesday's HDB agenda with staff recommending approval.
An update of sorts on those 4 townhouses by Queen Square that were approved back in February - the lot is now for sale along with the plans and Heritage approval, and being marketed as "suitable for builders and contractors".

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 4:56 PM

20-22 Canterbury across from the future "Telegraph" building.
Quote:
Application for a Heritage Permit to replace windows on the second and third storeys with 2/2, aluminum-clad wood windows.
Quote:
RECOMMENDATION
Approve a Heritage Permit:
a) repair and restore the existing brickmoulds on the second and third storeys of the
Canterbury Street façade;
b) to the rear of the brickmoulds, replace windows on the second and third storeys
with 2/2, aluminum-clad wood windows with filled wood arches.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 1:43 AM

As mentioned in the Fundy Quay thread common council has voted tonight in favour of an agreement with Fundy Quay Developments Inc. to develop the coast guard site.

Press release:

https://developsaintjohn.com/recent_...ndy-quay-site/

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 4:33 PM

Acre Architects shared this rendering of a piece of “The Wellington”. The affordable housing project is 6 stories set for the corner of Union and Wellington. He mentions in the post the project is slated for 2020 which correlates with what we’ve been told.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 3:09 PM

Gothic Arches is currently being demolished. Media outlets are on site so expect a news story tonight.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 10:40 PM

Its been a little quiet on the forum lately so I post some updates going on in the central peninsula.

Gothic Arches is being demolished to make way for a new 8 story apartment building. After driving by today I'd say they're nearing 60% completion.

(Picture is from Dec 11)
https://huddle.today/demolition-begi...wn-saint-john/

New residential addition at 160 Leinster Street on the back. Hopefully, I can get a photo.

Tossified posted they're moving locations (staying uptown) which will leave a vacant space along on Canterbury. They haven't specified where they're moving but they plan the move in April 2020.

150 Union Street- exterior work on the building is continuing.

70-76 King Street is an active construction scene, they're creating new street-front commercial space and an addition on the back.

City hall renovations are continuing. I hear they're trying to secure a restaurant for the pedway.

"The Art Warehouse" is opening up on Prince William.
https://huddle.today/new-creative-ca...wn-saint-john/

Brunswick Square has been in the news a lot lately. Bentley, Lole, (Paddington Station <- moving locations to Canterbury) are all closing the doors. The mall is rapidly becoming vacant which leading some people to speculate the possibility of redevelopment.

AREA 506 festival has been secured for the Fundy Quay location next year. Very exciting!!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 2:13 AM

JDI put up a new lit sign in the golden ball parking lot indicating parking for visitors to the 300 Union street office tower. I wonder if they have plans to buy or lease golden ball. Rumour is they are bursting at the seams at 300 union

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
JDI put up a new lit sign in the golden ball parking lot indicating parking for visitors to the 300 Union street office tower. I wonder if they have plans to buy or lease golden ball. Rumour is they are bursting at the seams at 300 union
I thought there was a mention a while back in the forum of the JDI headquarters being full and one of the solutions that they were looking at was to add floors to the building. I remember many years ago they added 3 floors to the building.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebody View Post
I thought there was a mention a while back in the forum of the JDI headquarters being full and one of the solutions that they were looking at was to add floors to the building. I remember many years ago they added 3 floors to the building.
Did they really add three floors? There must have been a reclad at some point, I can't see any indication of it on the outside.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 1:35 AM

160 Leinster Street Addition 3 to 7 units
There's a large vacant lot in this vicinity so hopefully, this will encourage some new residential development.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Did they really add three floors? There must have been a reclad at some point, I can't see any indication of it on the outside.
Yes in 1988 - if you look at the 4th floor from top you’ll notice its mostly grates instead of windows as it’s the mechanical floor. No recladding was done. They matched it up just like they did last year with parking garage. I can’t see them adding more stories because already number of elevators required not enough plus there is a penthouse unit on roof.
Found out from someone that works in building that JDI always owned the golden ball parking lot and have repatriated it for their own use. No plans for them to take over golden ball. Although 300 Union is full to brim - he doesn’t think company has much more growth plans to warrant expansion - but he doesn’t know anything for sure

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 8:29 PM

'No plans' for boarded-up J.D. Irving building in Saint John heritage district

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...cape-1.5411878

I greatly appreciate the heritage board for standing up against demolition. We are losing our historic structures at a troubling rate so IMO the system needs to be changed so that these kinds of properties don't end up in the hands of people who either A)don't have the capital to maintain the place and or B)wish to demolish from day 1. The city needs more authority to prevent the situation this property is currently in.

I saw some chatter online raving about the park design concept but I feel if demolition were to happen we'd be taken a stretch thinking it would actually happen. This property is located a block away from a high school, two huge office towers, and king square. Undoubtedly if this property ended up in the correct hands it would fill up with residents.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
'No plans' for boarded-up J.D. Irving building in Saint John heritage district

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...cape-1.5411878

I greatly appreciate the heritage board for standing up against demolition. We are losing our historic structures at a troubling rate so IMO the system needs to be changed so that these kinds of properties don't end up in the hands of people who either A)don't have the capital to maintain the place and or B)wish to demolish from day 1. The city needs more authority to prevent the situation this property is currently in.

I saw some chatter online raving about the park design concept but I feel if demolition were to happen we'd be taken a stretch thinking it would actually happen. This property is located a block away from a high school, two huge office towers, and king square. Undoubtedly if this property ended up in the correct hands it would fill up with residents.
Maybe it's just me, but I feel that a 1940's wood frame infill structure is a stretch to be termed historic. But even if it could be deemed historical just because of the location, all that has resulted is a boarded up, unheated building with a reported leaky roof that has probably made it beyond salvage. To me this is a failure of the heritage board, not a success. They have lost a "historic" building, not saved one.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingnut View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I feel that a 1940's wood frame infill structure is a stretch to be termed historic. But even if it could be deemed historical just because of the location, all that has resulted is a boarded up, unheated building with a reported leaky roof that has probably made it beyond salvage. To me this is a failure of the heritage board, not a success. They have lost a "historic" building, not saved one.
Maybe I should clarify my argument a bit better. I think a lot of people define “historic” in their own way. It could just be based off of where and when it’s built or maybe there’s a story’s behind. Or to some that may not even fit their criteria. As far as my knowledge goes this building has only gained historic status for being in that location. Unfortunately many years ago this property fell into the hands of someone who didn’t care about it. (Not much the Heritage Board can do about that). Over time the building became extremely dilapidated and here we are today. If this building is demolished I expect it to sit vacant and the city will lose out on a bit of tax dollars (not much though). The ideal situation would be JDI gives up, puts in on the market and someone who cares about it takes over.
We can point our finger at the Heritage Board for this failure like you said and I agree with you however at what point do we think we’d be giving the board too much authority over property owners. If we gave them the power to force renovations and or maybe even seize the property I think investing in Uptown Saint John would become extremely unattractive.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingnut View Post
It's from the 1840s. Huge difference, and I for one am shocked that the corporate owner of a historic building would ever allow it to deteriorate until nobody cares if they demolish it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces