HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 4:42 AM

Photo Bump - Light Rail Boom in Salt Lake City :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boizean View Post
I agree with DMTower. This is a very nice view indeed.

Also an excellent photo, great timing with the trax train!

photographer unknown

Last edited by delts145; Jun 8, 2008 at 1:01 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 12:59 PM

Transit: UTA, U.S. counterparts report more riders

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...232863,00.html

Travelers move between trains on Friday in Salt Lake City. UTA said that from April '07 to April '08 ridership for the average weekday was up about 9 percent, divided among buses, light rail and van pools. (Mike Terrry, Deseret News)

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCrising View Post
The state's 24.5¢ per-gallon levy hasn't been increased since 1995

Looks like we are growing so fast, that we need to pay for it somehow. Now, gas prices are already high enough, $3.55 just down the street this morning. I would imagine most commuters that drive will not be happy with this, but then again, they are the ones that stand the most to gain from new freeways, etc.

http://www.deseretnews.com/dn/view/0...193185,00.html

I am a proponent of commuter pricing, toll ways/lanes that charge more during peak hours to pay for new highways. Subways do it, charge more during peak hours, why not do it on toll lanes. I do not want to see toll plaza's though. That is a thing of the past, windshield fast passes are the only option.
Whhat subways in North America increase their prices during peak hours?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 3:07 PM

Don't quote me on this. But I think Washington DC METRO has rush hour fares.

In addition, Philly's SEPTA regional rail has rush hour fares.
Vancouver uses zone fares Mon-Fri, with one flat fare on weekends for the entire Metro region.
Edmonton use to have rush hour prices, but took those out a couple years ago.

Pittsburgh's T Light Rail has peak hour fares in the direction of downtown. So in the morning you pay more if you are riding twords the city. And more at night if you are coming from the city.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 3:08 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I'm excited for the new Light Rail Trains that have been ordered. While the current ones are to bad, except for the few really ugly monster trains (we all know which ones I'm talking about). These new trains will really spiffy the place up.

If you think about the frequencies, on average there is a train through downtown about every 7 minutes as the two existing lines come through. When the mid-jordan line is finished it will probably be about every 5 minutes through downtown and when the West Valley line is complete I would make sense for frequency downtown of every 2.5 to 3 minutes. That would result in an eventual 5 minute frequency between Gallivan and 2100 S and 7 minutes from 2100 S to 6400 S.

I think those increases in frequency will coincide with the increase in residents living in TOD's, especially those along the Sandy line that are popping up in Murray. I really anticipate other cities rezoning for TOD along the mid-jordan and WVC lines, it will increase their tax base without a huge impact on their existing street grid.

For the Metro's size it really seems to be aggressive, and successful with transit.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I'm excited for the new Light Rail Trains that have been ordered. While the current ones aren't too bad, except for the few really ugly monster trains (we all know which ones I'm talking about). These new trains will really spiffy the place up.
Me too Future Mayor, I really am liking the look of these new cars that are on their way. I wondor what the main color scheme will be. I guess white, with red and blue. I saw one that was mainly red and it was sooo cool looking!!

The New Siemens-S70 arriving soon in Salt Lake City

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 11:50 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

If they painted the fronts to match the engine on Front Runner those new trains would look pretty sleek.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 3:52 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Yes, the DC Metro (it is not an acronym; no need to use all caps) has higher fares at peak periods and lower fares at mid day.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 8:58 PM
New Coloradan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin10000 View Post
Whhat subways in North America increase their prices during peak hours?

This is right, lived in DC, they have a base fare, but the fare increases by time of day, higher in morning and afternoon rush hours, then increases by distance traveled. If you limit your commute to just in the city, you pay just the base fare.

Look at their website for fares.

http://www.wmata.com/riding/hours_fa...etrorail_Fares

Regular fare (In effect on weekdays from opening to 9:30 a.m., 3-7 p.m. and 2 a.m. to closing)

$1.65 minimum
$4.50 maximum

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 12:31 AM

I hope that the success of this system can be used to inspire more rail development in cities like LA! The NIMBY's here are unbearable. It's great to hear about a city rallying around public transit.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
TOD - Market Station -South Salt Lake

http://www.marketstationliving.com/index.php

they have updated their website....

Everything you need, steps from your door.
As an urban village, Market Station is purposefully designed to enhance city living. It is an environment that focuses on facilitating the daily acitivities of living, shopping, and working within an environmentally friendly, self-sustainable community. At Market Station, you'll find shops, townhomes, and offices within steps of each other. Without a car, commute or traffic, you can run errands, buy concert tickets, mail packages.
Located at 2100 South and State Street, Market Station features more than 50 retailers and 250,000 sq. ft. of Class A office space. It offers 600 housing units, ranging from studio apartments to luxury penthouses.
Market Station is a turning point in the reinvention of South Salt Lake. With the cooperation of City leaders, you will be an integral part of a renaissance. The complex's overall style is an eclectic mix of modern, classic and industrial and traditional - different components working together.

I am really excited about what this project will bring to SSLC. I would love to see the area East of I-15 and North of I-80 turn into a really dense urban area. You got sugarhouse, Market Station, Downtown SLC, Gateway, The Avenues, The Uof U University, Franklin Covey area...etc...

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 12:37 PM

Salt Lake City - Mass Transit Boom continues:

New 300 West Line,(pic by SLCProjects)

'North Temple Line' moves Forward

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...234411,00.html

Its destination is Salt Lake City International Airport, but Luke Garrott prefers to call it the "North Temple line."

After all, construction of a new light-rail line is not just about getting people to and from the airport, the Salt Lake City councilman said. It's also about neighborhood building on the city's west side.

"We want to make the North Temple line as neighborhood-friendly and as much of a positive catalyst for the city as possible," Garrott said. "It's a great opportunity."

..." Over the next seven years, UTA is committed to build 70 new miles of light- and commuter-rail lines, pushing its statewide total to 150 miles, he said.

..."This is a big piece of a very large transit system that UTA has been developing at an incredible rate up and down the Wasatch Front," Mayor Becker said

More Mass Transit - Ceremony launches construction of West Valley TRAX line

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...236003,00.html

West Valley City came one shovelful of gravel closer to gaining its own TRAX line Wednesday as the Utah Transit Authority ceremoniously launched construction n the next phase of its FrontLines 2015 project.

Groundbreaking - Laura Seitz, Deseret News

UTA projects to be completed by 2015

Upcoming UTA projects to be completed by 2015:

• Mid-Jordan TRAX line, connecting the 6400 South TRAX stop to Daybreak in South Jordan — currently under construction.

• West Valley TRAX line, connecting 2100 South TRAX stop to future West Valley City intermodal hub near 3500 South — construction will begin this week.

• FrontRunner South, commuter rail from Salt Lake City to Provo — construction is expected to begin late this summer.

• Airport TRAX line, connecting downtown Salt Lake City to the Salt Lake City International Airport — construction is expected to begin by the end of the year.

• Draper TRAX line, extending TRAX from 10000 South in Sandy to about 14600 South in Draper — a construction date to be announced soon.

Last edited by delts145; Jun 19, 2008 at 12:49 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 12:01 PM

TOD - Birkhill @ Fireclay Update - by Arkhitektor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post

A video tour has been posted of the new Birkhill @ Fireclay development in N. Murray. Click below to see it:

Link:http://www.hamlethomes.com/communiti...eo.aspx?cid=18

It's the second video that appears with the 'Birkhill @ Fireclay' splashscreen.

Photo Update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
Progress on Birkhill @ Fireclay:

The first phase is nearing completion and models should be open in time for the Salt Lake Parade of Homes in August:

EIFS and Brick are complete on the courtyard side of the first building:

Brick work continues on the front:

Last edited by delts145; Jun 28, 2008 at 12:15 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 4:23 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I absolutely live this development. LOVE IT! It's looking like all the prime TOD sites are going to get taken before I have a chance to develop any of them.
I guess that's a good problem to have.

Seriously, as conservative as Utah is, in general, it really is impressive how the Wasatch Front is transforming itself into a transit mecha (at least in comparison to non east coast and Chicago type cities).

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 12:07 AM

looks good - seems to show that when you provide it they will come

re the higher fares during peak periods - vancouver does that too - they used to have higher fares from 6:30 am to 9:30 am and than from 3:30 pm to 6:30 pm but they have sinced changed it to having peak fares from 6:30 am to 6:30 pm or there abouts - eliminating the middle of the day cheaper fares

after 6:30 and on weekends there is one flat fare - during the peak times its based on a 3 zone price system and the price varies on how many zones you cross

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 4:38 PM
New Coloradan

Gotta love the Skytrain!!

Got any recent pics of Skytrain, is the system still expanding, I thought I heard about an airport extension, is that still on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
looks good - seems to show that when you provide it they will come

re the higher fares during peak periods - vancouver does that too - they used to have higher fares from 6:30 am to 9:30 am and than from 3:30 pm to 6:30 pm but they have sinced changed it to having peak fares from 6:30 am to 6:30 pm or there abouts - eliminating the middle of the day cheaper fares

after 6:30 and on weekends there is one flat fare - during the peak times its based on a 3 zone price system and the price varies on how many zones you cross

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCrising View Post
Got any recent pics of Skytrain, is the system still expanding, I thought I heard about an airport extension, is that still on?
Vancouver's SkyTrain Canada Line
- 16 stations
- 19-kms, 25-minutes terminus to terminus
- 20 trains
- ~every 3-7 minutes
- automated fully grade separated system
- opening date November 2009

Airport Station - under construction

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 9:06 PM
New Coloradan

Nice pics, thanks for posting, what a fantastic system Skytrain is, it just whishes you about town and makes you feel like you're flying. I love it.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 10:56 PM

yah its nicer than being stuck underground

is salt lake city planning on expanding to their airport?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 12:38 AM

Yes SpongeG. Infact, the new TRAX line from downtown to the airport is now commencing construction

'North Temple Line' moves Forward

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...234411,00.html

Its destination is Salt Lake City International Airport, but Luke Garrott prefers to call it the "North Temple line."

After all, construction of a new light-rail line is not just about getting people to and from the airport, the Salt Lake City councilman said. It's also about neighborhood building on the city's west side.

"We want to make the North Temple line as neighborhood-friendly and as much of a positive catalyst for the city as possible," Garrott said. "It's a great opportunity."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation