HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 1:56 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonguy View Post
WOAH! When did Ancaster get an Indigo and an Ikea?
whoops, I forgot to take those ones out. oh well, I'm sure Ancaster residents and politicians would welcome these shops if they did come to Ancaster, as their design is very context-sensitive

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 2:19 AM

About half of those big box pictures are from Ancaster, the rest are from Burlington, Dundas and Hamilton. The town centre is a lot different than that of course, the power centres are not really "in" Ancaster. I have a picture tour of other parts of Ancaster, which has a lot of interesting architecture, too: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=140652

Hamilton is in the strange position of being younger than its suburbs:

Ancaster, Dundas, Waterdown and the villages in Flamborough are all older than Hamilton.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 2:20 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMRetrofit View Post
With all due respect to Ancaster, the town center does have some of the oldest heritage buildings in the province. I think every measure should be taken to preserve them. They deserve preservation and appreciation for their role in Ontario's history. The town center needs some guidelines on how to preserve and enhance these features.

I would not be so harsh on the big boxes. All of those stores can be found at Younge and Dundas, yet arguably the corner still maintains 'somewhat' of a unique identity. I really think that it is the format of them that is the problem. Consumers are the main drivers in subsidizing spaces to form like this. If communities are not demanding better formats for these developments the 'everywhere Ontario' is the result.

your points are well said...arguing the merits (or lack thereof) of big box sprawl has been done at great length in the discussion about new power centres, centre mall and mountain plaza mall.
This discussion is about people in Ancaster complaining about 4+ storey buildings being built in the exact area photographed above. It would be laughable if isn't wasn't so sad and embarassing.
Maybe the citizen groups should focus their attention on whats left of their 'heritage main street' before it ends up with more drive thrus and big box Fortinos stores. Although even that may be a lost cause. its' not a well-defined collection of historic architecture like you'll find in Dundas. Ancaster has more parking lots and strip malls in it's 'historic downtown' than you'll probably find in all of Dundas.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 2:21 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

it's funny how pictures (which don't lie) can change someone's tune.

The 'village core' is not a real 'village core'. It's a thorough fare between the Fortinos strip plaza area/meadowlands and the Linc lower city access via highway 2. No more than 6 buildings are worthy of any significance and are spread out, and filled-in with typical shopping suburban strip plazas.

Rouseau House
The Spa of Ancaster
Bick Financial building
The Olde Mill Restaurant
The Towne Hall
and two churches

the rest is crap and NONE OF THESE BUILDINGS ARE ACCESSIBLE BY ANYTHING BUT A CAR.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 2:28 AM

I counted three of those pics that are in Burlington and not Ancaster. I think the point was made tho.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 2:28 AM
I am a typical

Thunder Bay has a city wide height limit of 10 metres.

So there.

And I'm pretty sure that that Tim Horton's is in Thunder Bay. They are stealing our identity!!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 2:30 AM
Closed account

dang..you guys are better than I if you can identify the location of those pictures. looks to me like it could be Burnaby or Laval.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Thunder Bay has a city wide height limit of 10 metres.

So there.

And I'm pretty sure that that Tim Horton's is in Thunder Bay. They are stealing our identity!!
There are more Robin's Donuts in TB

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 3:43 AM
Pro Urban Degenerate

I have made my criticism of suburban development known. Ancaster seems to function like a suburb, so it is unlikely that residents will see the problems with the way the town has developed.

The heritage buildings of Ancaster seem fairly well preserved. The town center needs guidelines on how to be reformatted properly. Simple density is not necessarily the answer. There is no reason that 4-5 story buildings should not be encouraged if done properly. The troubling thing is developments like Amica in Dundas. Projects like that seem to attempt simulating the past, but become completely distasteful. They have a way of really disturbing a community.

I don't know what do you do with new developments in a town like Ancaster?

Last edited by HAMRetrofit; Mar 14, 2008 at 4:02 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 3:49 AM

Quote:
I don't know what do you do with a town like Ancaster?
I don't think you you do anything, really. Many people in the older parts of Ancaster are very wealthy and have no interest in walking anywhere or changing anything. They like it the way it is. The long time residents don't like all the new subdivisions and power centres, they live there because many of the roads and lots are secluded and private, and there really are many beautiful settings there--streams and waterfalls, lots of trees and hills.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 4:06 AM
Pro Urban Degenerate

^ sorry Flar I meant new developments in Ancaster.

I think that wealthy established areas in Ancaster will become like Lawrence St. in Toronto. The city will just fill in around it like Don Mills and York Mills etc. I just think the new peripheral developments should be something new and avoid the simple commie block and single detached housing approach used so frequently here in Toronto. I also don't think that the new urbanist approach will work either. These areas are not downtown, so the experience of downtown will be impossible to emulate. Also, they are not streetcar suburbs like Westdale etc. so that will also be impossible to emulate.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 12:16 PM

Looks like natives have stopped development to their new Ancaster Fairgrounds. Which they wouldn't of needed if they didn't sell-off the former fairgrounds to a homebuilder.

'Unique' my foot..... it doesn't seem like they care about their own history.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 12:40 PM
Closed account

Ancasterians care about their town's heritage... it's the 'new' Ancasterians that don't give an F. All they care about is how quickly they can get to Kelsey's "where everybody knows your name"...

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 1:09 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
Ancasterians care about their town's heritage... it's the 'new' Ancasterians that don't give an F. All they care about is how quickly they can get to Kelsey's "where everybody knows your name"...
don't get me started on that travesty of a commercial.
that's the LAST place in town that should be using the Cheers theme.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 7:03 AM
On Guard For Thee

Kelsey's is on that hate list too now?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 2:37 PM
Closed account

well, if you consider my dislike for their commercials meaning it's on a 'hate list' then yes.
I don't like the Toronto Maple Leafs. I guess that means I hate them too??
I'm not a fan of McDonalds....hate there too??
I didn't realize that someone's differing opinion automatically means they 'hate' something.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 2:52 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

No one hates anything.

However, I don't understand the point in defending Kelsy's. Is there something on the menu there that puts them in a category that vetoes all criticism.

We need to call it the way it is. Kelsey's is a cheep macro restaurant. It is generic and appeals to the masses. It avoids proximity to restaurants of high caliber taste (ie. there is no Kelsey's in Central Toronto and Hamilton). Could the world move on without a flinch if Kelsy's closed down. Sure.

The issue that I take to cheep macros like Kelsy's is their direct avoidance of competition. They locate where they can cheat the market and supply excessive free parking. They feed off of areas where there is no option but them, where they can provide cheep macro food to the mases, and where there is no distinguished second option.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 3:59 PM
Closed account

Quote:
No one hates anything.
i hate stuff. i've got a list as long as my arm. like this dancing banana, for example: ...hate that thing.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 4:48 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post
i hate stuff. i've got a list as long as my arm. like this dancing banana, for example: ...hate that thing.
Don't get me started or we'll have to open a hate thread. For the record, not only do I hate Kelsey's, I also loathe and detest it. Same goes for Boston Pizza and all those other insipid chains. And I hate emoticons too and . . .

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 4:50 PM

Quote:
No one hates anything.

However, I don't understand the point in defending Kelsy's. Is there something on the menu there that puts them in a category that vetoes all criticism.

We need to call it the way it is. Kelsey's is a cheep macro restaurant. It is generic and appeals to the masses. It avoids proximity to restaurants of high caliber taste (ie. there is no Kelsey's in Central Toronto and Hamilton). Could the world move on without a flinch if Kelsy's closed down. Sure.

The issue that I take to cheep macros like Kelsy's is their direct avoidance of competition. They locate where they can cheat the market and supply excessive free parking. They feed off of areas where there is no option but them, where they can provide cheep macro food to the mases, and where there is no distinguished second option.
"Smart business"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs