HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 5:26 PM
Space Magi

SALT LAKE CITY | Block 67 Phases I & II | Various Heights | 2x11F | 26F | 20F | 20F+

Quote:
Jacobsen is partnering with The Ritchie Group and Garn Development to build Phase I of The Block 67 Project. The West Quarter, a multi-use development that will help define the emerging sports and entertainment district in downtown Salt Lake City. The project — adjacent to Vivint Smart Home Arena — will feature more than 650 residential units, a mid-block street with access to 200 South and 300 West, and a subterranean parking garage. The scope of work also includes more than 100,000 square feet of retail space, 430,000 square feet of office space and a 271-room hotel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid
The current plans are:

Phase 1 consists of an 11 story residential building and an 11 story, co-branded hotel (Aloft and Element).

Phase 2 consists of a 6-7 story residential building, a 26 story residential tower, a 20ish story Hotel tower, and a 375' commercial tower. The last 3 structures will all be built on a single connected podium.

Phase 2 is set to begin sometime in 2024 once the Post Office lease ends.
Phase I

Phase II

The demolition for the site of Phase I is now in progress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding
December 10th - There was a backhoe at Block 67 today, ripping up concrete and demolishing the parking lot gate booths.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 11:25 PM
Space Magi

12-17-2019: it looks like they're ripping up the parking lot right now in preparation

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 5:07 PM
Chairman

Are they working on the foundation?

-sb

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 10:30 PM
Space Magi

I don't have a photo, but I can confirm that they are definitely doing foundation work now. There's a giant pit in the ground and the site is active. I wouldn't be surprised to see a tower crane pop up fairly soon.

I also found some new renderings of Phase I:
https://garndev.com/project/west-quarter/

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 12:08 PM

Downtown Update, Block 67 Development Timeline Update Through August 28th

By Tony Semerad, The Salt Lake Tribunehttps://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/12/...city-approves/

Salt Lake City has approved a way to pump $15 million into building a huge subterranean parking garage for Block 67, an upcoming ambitious residential and hotel project on the western edge of the city’s downtown.

The agreement, backed Tuesday by the City Council in its role overseeing the city’s Redevelopment Agency (RDA), clears a major hurdle for what is to be known as The West Quarter, a 6.45-acre development bounded by
100 South and 200 South from 200 West to 300 West.

(Rendering by The Ritchie Group) A rendering of The Ritchie Group's proposed Block 67 development in Salt Lake City, as though looking north along 300 West...

Developers with Salt Lake City-based The Ritchie Group and Garn Development Co. in Layton plan to build more than 650 dwellings, two hotels, an office tower, retail shops, a tree-lined street cut through the block and an underground
parking garage with more than 1,200 stalls.

With its four towers and extensive amenities, to be built in two phases, The West Quarter project will push the center of the city’s urban core west, with more robust pedestrian connections between the existing downtown and The Gateway and
Vivint Smart Home Arena farther west.

“It really is a good project,” Councilman Charlie Luke said Tuesday. “It really is going to do a lot for the city and especially for that part of the city in terms of redevelopment."...

...Ryan Ritchie, a principal in The Ritchie Group, has said the underground parking garage is integral to the project’s overall financial success...The loan agreement sets up a legal mechanism for the city to give the developers the $15 million in
money for the parking garage, then lets the developers pay it back over time as their project generates additional tax money. Salt Lake City’s RDA will, in turn, pass those payments back to the county...

Additional Renderings of Block 67 - Subterranean garage to serve both Phases I and Phase II

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
December 5th - Construction fencing is going up around the West Quarter site today!!

Looks like another big project is imminent!!
Jacobsen is partnering with The Ritchie Group and Garn Development to build Phase I of The Block 67 Project. The West Quarter, a multi-use development that will help define the emerging sports and entertainment district in downtown Salt Lake City.
The project — adjacent to Vivint Smart Home Arena — will feature more than 650 residential units, a mid-block street with access to 200 South and 300 West, and a subterranean parking garage. The scope of work also includes more than
100,000 square feet of retail space, 430,000 square feet of office space and a 271-room hotel.

Phase I, The West Quarter

http://www.jacobsenconstruction.com/...1-1370x580.jpg

A few renderings depicting the soon to be upcoming Phase II of the Block 67 Project

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1822/...f4799550_h.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1761/...33fa6a67_h.jpg

From NE:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/916/4...49056627_h.jpg

Street Level Engagement:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1823/...ce6d9893_b.jpg

May 28th

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusam26 View Post
Crane going up!

May 29th

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
The cranes seemed to pop out of nowhere quick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
The view from the 6th North bridge is amazing. The cranes look so far away from Main Street even though they are only 2 blocks.

I can't wait for the 2 CCH cranes to also go up. 6 tower cranes up and working From State Street to 3rd West and South Temple to 2nd South.

My wife did point out to me today as we drove around downtown that there are many work trucks from out of state license plats at the various projects. I thought that this was nice in that we are pulling workers from other states for our projects.

May 31st

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
Pictures of the West Quarter cranes from all sides.

Pics By StayingInformed

June 29th

The West End project by Ritchie Group at 251 W 100 S is getting footings after installing two main cranes. Its first phase will add residential, hospitality, and hotel capacity around the Utah Jazz arena.

Photo By Luke Garrott @ https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/in-...tinues-to-pop/

July 29th

Pic By Scott Harding

August 14th

Photos By Stayinginformed

August 28th

Photo By Atlas

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 12:53 PM

Updated Design of Hotel Portion of Phase I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
The next planning commission meeting will discuss proposed changes to the West Quarter development. Most of it seems to be related to the appearance of the hotel portion of the project. Details and renderings (more in the document linked above):
Quote:
The West Quarter project challenges the typical 10‐acre Salt Lake City block by proposing a development centered around a new through mid‐block street, resting on a below grade parking garage. The midblock
street will break down the large block scale and provide a pedestrian connection between the Downtown on 200 South and Gateway District on 300 West. The mid‐block street will be lined with retail on both sides creating an active urban environment that is focused more on pedestrian activity
while reducing vehicular traffic.

Due to the large size of our city blocks, the existing grade of our streets and sidewalks changes deceivingly across the block frontage as well as from one block to another. The existing grade along 300 West block changes by approximately 10’‐0”, approximately half of which takes place across the project frontage. Similarly, the grade continues to change along 200 South block frontage and 200 West creating three different elevations that the mid‐street and the service alley will connect and reconcile. From that perspective the project needed to prioritize the grade elevations and their transition to maximize accessibility and street activation without making modifications to the existing streets.

300 West is a State road operated by the Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT) and is subject to UDOT regulations. The existing street elevation along 300 West (between the new mid‐block street and entrance to the hotel port cochere) varies between 4272.96 at the south end and 4276.30 at the north end. The hotel ground level elevation has been set at 4278 to maximize accessibility and engagement with the new mid‐block street. The grade changes and complex relationship between the existing and new mid‐block street required the design of the 300 West frontage to be reevaluated subsequently to the Planning Commission approval.
And it turns out SLC will have at least one rooftop dining and drinking experience soon! I still hope to see something higher and closer to Main Street eventually. This one seems to have a mostly northwestern-facing orientation too, so the views of downtown and the Wasatch won't be dominant.

Quote:
The current design maintains a rooftop bar along 300 West that will contribute to street and skyline activation in accordance with the city design standards and approved design. The refined building massing creates a distinct rooftop element articulated with recessed glazing, expressed columns and a continuous architectural roofline. The roofline terminates at the northwest corner of the building with a long and dramatic cantilever that, along with the glass volume below, announces the entrance to the
development. The distinct roofline will be illuminated with continuous, linear fixtures to maintain its presence and distinct expression on the night skyline while the wood clad soffit will diffuse the lighting
and create a floating effect.

In addition to the rooftop bar, that will activate the northwest corner and create a strong connection with the Vivint Smart Home Arena, the current design will provide street and skyline activation at the opposite southeast corner of the hotel. An outdoor pool deck, with views of the downtown skyline and mountains, will create additional active uses along the future extension of the mid‐block street. In addition to enhancing and connecting the second project phase, the pool deck will be visible and create a strong connection with 200 South.

Last edited by delts145; Nov 6, 2020 at 1:07 PM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 3:36 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Nice to see some density and height spreading to the periphery of the downtown core. SLC is on fire!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 6:02 PM
Space Magi

New shots from Building Salt Lake:

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 11:01 PM
Space Magi

Here's a view of this project that I had never seen before. It's from an online listing for the retail spaces in Phase I. A PDF with higher res versions of these is available there. Looks like they are planning on Phase II opening by summer 2024.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 2:39 PM
Space Magi

Some good news for Phase II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Ute View Post
I have heard rumors that RWP (including the post office) will be empty at the end of April. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future__Mayor View Post
I can confirm this is true, it will be vacant but look for it to happen in May. I have a close source with ties to the future development of the property.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing
If the post office really is moving out in the next month or so, they may very well start demolition on that building this year and...dare I say...construction on Phase II?

In the online listing advertisement Atlas had posted, it states they plan on a Summer 2024 opening of Phase II, indicating they likely would have to start construction this year for a project that large. I hadn't thought they would start until Phase I was complete, so I didn't think Summer 2024 was doable.

However, with the news the post office will be leaving soon, they may indeed be planning to move ahead this year after all.
"RWP" is the Royal Wood Plaza, which is the building that currently occupies the site of Phase II.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:09 PM
Space Magi

Here are some shots of the West Quarter from April 12th, found on Twitter. These are starting to make a big impact!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 1:31 PM

June 15th - Construction Updates, Phase I

Photos By Scott Harding

July 1st - Construction Updates, Phase I

Photos By BretUtah

Last edited by delts145; Sep 26, 2021 at 1:59 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 1:26 PM

August 5th - Construction Updates, Phase I

Photos By Layrasm

Last edited by delts145; Sep 26, 2021 at 2:00 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2021, 1:47 PM

September 26th - Construction Updates, Phase I

The West Quarter Phase 1 - Two 11-floor buildings, with 242 residential units and 272 hotel guest rooms with ground floor retail. - under construction

Photos By Blah_Amazing

Last edited by delts145; Oct 16, 2021 at 2:18 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2021, 2:21 PM

Phase II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post

So, using the old renderings...

Old Rendering - I added the new descriptions of the three towers over the old versions

Old site plan - I added boxes and the new descriptions for the three towers

Old Rendering - I added floor counts for the old versions of the towers

My count of the floors (above podium) in the old rendering for the Block D North residential building is 15, which is what the geotechnical study indicated.

My count of the floors (above podium) in the old rendering for Block D South SE office tower is 15, which is also in line with the lower end of what the geotechnical study indicated.

My count of the floors (above podium) in the old rendering fro Block D South SW hotel tower is 13, which is less than half as many floors as what the geotechnical study indicated for the now proposed residential tower.

So the Southwestern Block D tower being switched from a hotel to residential and becoming much taller (13 above podium to 28-30) appears to my eye to be the main change from the original plan to the 'current' one.

At least that is how it seems to me.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 16, 2021 at 2:32 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 3:06 PM
Space Magi

Phase I is nearing completion now and it's been confirmed that tenants have left the Royal Wood Plaza (to be demolished for Phase II). Today we got some new renderings of Phase II and it's a massive improvement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder113 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 12:35 PM

September - Construction Updates, Phase I

Photo From Twitter @LloydColezone, photo taken from the top floor of Vivint Arena

Last edited by delts145; Nov 12, 2021 at 12:59 PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 1:01 PM

The West Quarter - Phase II Takes On New and Exciting Design Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
Sounds like Phase 2 for The West Quarter, may be moving faster than originally thought.

From the original plan, I think they were looking to have RWP clearing out in early 2022. With it happening around May 2021, this could mean that the overall timing has sped up.

I do think it would be nice to have 3+ major projects undergoing excavation at the same time. It is this that probably lead to the speed up of Phase 2. This will allow the current workers to shift from Phase 1 to Phase 2.

I do wonder how many towers we will see continue above the Phase 2 podium. Will we see all 3 towers, just the Residential and Hotel, or just the Residential. Pre-Covid, the plan was for the Residential and the Hotel to go up immediately and the Commercial tower to be added once demand was there. Does anyone know if this is still the plan or if we may see all 3 towers rise simultaneously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Very exciting to see West Quarter Phase II going forward. Walking from Main Street along 200 S, Block 67 feels so impenetrable right now. It's really going to be a nice urban gateway to the Vivint Arena when it's done, not to mention it may have a massive impact on the skyline. Right now, SLC doesn't have any towers that are more than a block or so from Main Street...

New renderings for West Quarter’s Phase 2 show impressive architectural and mixed-use ambition - Luke Garrott Reports - Full Article @ https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/new...-use-ambition/

Quote:
Luke Garrott - One of the worst holes in Downtown’s urban fabric will be getting filled by the second phase of the West Quarter project, whose Phase 1, along with the Salt Palace convention center hotel a block away, is sprouting a downtown skyline west of Main Street.

New renderings of the structures are out, and they are dramatic.

The 4.36 acres of Phase 2 of the West Quarter will front on 200 South, currently a dead zone of surface parking for the Royal Wood office complex at 230 West 200 South.

The project will offer 846 new residential dwellings in three buildings, the tallest of which will be 28 stories.

It also includes a 16-story office building (408,000 sf), as well as over 50,000 sf of ground-floor retail space. A 161-room hotel will be included in the 14-story residential building.

Parking will be provided in two structures, totaling 1535 stalls...Here are the new images, courtesy of Legend Partners, the project’s leasing agent.

https://www.crexi.com/lease/properti...west-100-south - Updated Phase II, As seen from the Southeast looking Northwest toward the Great Salt Lake

Updated Phase II, As seen looking toward the Northeast from the corner of 200 South and 300 West

As a comparison, here is a view of the original rendering plans

Updated from the same angle

Construction site pre-demolition of the upcoming portion of Phase II of the West Quarter.

Photo By Atlas

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 11:25 PM
Space Magi

Here are some shots I took today of the West Quarter. It's coming along very nicely and I have to say that I was impressed by the scale of the project. The two buildings feel a lot bigger in person than in pictures. Bring on Phase II!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 11:14 PM
Space Magi

Some new, high quality renderings of West Quarter Block C were included in the project's most recent submission to the portal. They included some new visualizations of Block D! Not sure I like what I see compared to the last version but I'm guessing that it's still conceptual at this point.

More:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction