HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

270 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
So depressing to see those empty streets. I miss the gridlock, I miss the escalators not working during the 8 am rush hour, I miss the guy yelling on the corner with the broken headphones.

All the towers, but its nothing without the street life.

Possibly in a way, 270 Park is a metaphor of the old New York coming down, and a New New York rising. After the gloomy, shadow period is over, I hope we see a glorious boom, even stronger, that showers the city with towers and further density.
It's gotten a lot busier in the past week.

People have had it with the lockdown. Expect to see a lot more foot and vehicular traffic by June 1.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 9:15 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It's gotten a lot busier in the past week.

People have had it with the lockdown. Expect to see a lot more foot and vehicular traffic by June 1.
It has less to do with people having “had it”, and more to do with what’s open. New York is a very pedestrianized city. With everything closed, people who are out are more likely to go to parks ( which is why I avoid them at this time). There are very few stores or restaurants open. Theaters are closed. It’s just logical that the streets would be far less active than what we are used to seeing. I’ve already noticed activity ramping up on construction sites, and when other businesses start to open, the crowds will return. New York isn’t dead, it’s taking a well needed nap. The progression of the skyline has seen only a slight pause.

Meanwhile, it’s been nearly a year since the construction permits were filed for this building, longer than expected. So there should be some movement on that.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 2:09 AM
New Yorker for life

MAY 26, 2020

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 3:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Some history of JP Morgan Chase, with this little tidbit thrown in...

https://institute.jpmorganchase.com/about/our-history

Quote:
2018 A new HQ

JPMorgan Chase announces plans to replace its headquarters building at 270 Park Avenue with a new resource efficient skyscraper. The new world-class office tower, will house all NYC midtown employees
It was June of last year (2019) when the first official filing for construction of the new building was filed. When this is finally approved, we should get zoning diagrams of the new tower at long last.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 3:34 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 3:43 PM

Quote:
It was June of last year (2019) when the first official filing for construction of the new building was filed. When this is finally approved, we should get zoning diagrams of the new tower at long last.

When that happens is it possible the height could change? I'm just wondering with all these supertalls going up nearby in the 2020's.....perhaps many won't be shy about making their plot taller??

Also I saw this post by you in the New York Supertalls thread....

https://www.behance.net/gallery/3824...designgmailcom

Has this building got a thread? I can't find it. Thanks.

Reminds me a bit of the London Gherkin Tower

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 5:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
When that happens is it possible the height could change? I'm just wondering with all these supertalls going up nearby in the 2020's.....perhaps many won't be shy about making their plot taller??
The building permit can always be altered to change the height, even after construction has started. They just have to file the changes with the DOB, which sometimes happens when the height is altered, among other changes. But we would at least have an official diagram with the height as planned when the building permit is approved.

Quote:
Also I saw this post by you in the New York Supertalls thread....

https://www.behance.net/gallery/3824...designgmailcom

Has this building got a thread? I can't find it. Thanks.

Reminds me a bit of the London Gherkin Tower
That was just a rendering I came across. Could be something in the works, or something that never came through. Looks to be in or around the Diamond District. Could also be for another city entirely.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 7:20 PM

ok thanks. either way folks over at top of the rock is gonna be pissed if this building to this extent happens!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 9:03 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

From today’s chopper.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 12:37 PM
New Yorker for life

https://therealdeal.com/2020/06/09/c...gh-a-pandemic/

City planning through a pandemic
How the response to Covid-19 could redefine NYC neighborhoods and shape land use decisions in the future

TRD New York
June 09, 2020

Quote:
Floor by floor, construction workers are dismantling JPMorgan’s 52-story office tower at 270 Park Avenue. And while their work represents the largest intentional demolition in New York City’s history, it has come to signify much more than that.

City officials have hailed the replacement of the more than 60-year-old tower with a new glass and steel headquarters for the banking giant as the culmination of years-long planning. And preservationists have condemned it as the wasteful destruction of a recently renovated building.

Now, in the wake of a devastating pandemic, the former Union Carbide building is also a symbol of mounting uncertainty.

The spread of coronavirus has pushed companies, including Twitter and Facebook, to rethink their physical office footprints and consider letting employees work remotely long-term. JPMorgan has even floated having employees rotate working from home after the pandemic subsides.

At the same time, the bank is moving forward with its plans to build a new 2.5 million- square-foot headquarters on Park Avenue, which is more than 1 million square feet larger than its existing tower and is intended to accommodate up to 15,000 employees.

And the massive project is part of an even larger goal: The surrounding neighborhood was rezoned in 2017 with the explicit aim to create 6.5 million square feet of new class A office space over the next two decades.

“Way back when, I thought Midtown East was a great model,” said Peg Breen, president of the Landmarks Conservancy. “[Now] I think of 270 Park, and JPMorgan Chase tearing down that building for something even larger, when a lot of their people are going to be working from home.”

Several monumental events of the past three months — from the global health crisis and strict shutdown orders to forecasts of a long-term economic fallout — have raised questions about the future of office markets across the country.

Of course, landlords, developers and their brokers remain optimistic that tenants’ retreat from physical office space will be short-lived, that the lure of company culture and visible brand identity will ultimately win out.

But the pandemic, which underscores the innate risk in relying on specific asset classes and tenant types to transform a neighborhood, could reshape how cities work to encourage new development in the future.

Quote:
“This is a situation where we can’t afford the regulations to lag behind the market,” said Mitch Korbey, who chairs the law firm Herrick Feinstein’s land use and zoning group.“We need to be sure that as we come out of this crisis, we’re aggressive and creative.”

On paper, the rezoning of Midtown East could be seen as disastrous — if read solely in the context of the pandemic. The zoning change banked on demand for massive new office towers, with proximity to Grand Central Terminal serving as a main selling point.

But some believe the ongoing spread of coronavirus, which has started to subside in recent weeks, will have few long-term impacts on development in the district.

“The goals of the rezoning are still spot on,” said Dan Garodnick, the former New York City Council member who shepherded the district’s rezoning through the land use review process.

“People are social animals, and I expect there will still be demand for commercial space. But perhaps with slightly different design parameters to accommodate the moment.”

Quote:
The rezoning incentivized tearing down the neighborhood’s aging office stock, while also requiring improvements to nearby infrastructure and the creation of more public space. The city projected that the creation of 6.5 million square feet of new office stock would take two decades to come to fruition.

That timeline could play in the neighborhood’s favor.

Former Department of City Planning chief Carl Weisbrod said New York’s office market may be in a fluid state for the next year to year-and-a-half. “In the short run, there’s going to be a hiccup for sure,” he said.

But Weisbrod, who’s now a senior advisor at the real estate and economic development consulting firm HR&A, added that the city has historically recovered from crises “surprisingly well and in new directions that we haven’t anticipated.”

He said he also thinks Midtown East is especially well positioned. Within less than a year of the rezoning, JPMorgan announced that it would tear down its headquarters. The bank received approval in late May to demolish down to the 41st floor of the building, according to the DOB.

Quote:
At least three other massive office projects, including developer Harry Macklowe’s planned 1,556-foot-tall skyscraper at 5 East 51st Street, have been announced since. Macklowe didn’t return requests for comment on the project.

RXR Realty, which is planning a $3 billion office tower near Grand Central with TF Cornerstone and MSD Capital, has continued discussions that started before the pandemic with tenants in the technology and finance sectors who are interested in anchoring the property, CEO Scott Rechler said. The project isn’t expected to be delivered until 2026.

Quote:
Still, until there’s a vaccine for Covid-19, many employees will continue to avoid mass transit and employers may not be eager to upgrade to larger spaces when they can only operate at 50 percent capacity.

In the short term, as construction sites begin to reopen, owners of projects that haven’t started or were early stages of development will have to carefully consider if and when they can restart work, said Linda Foggie, senior vice president and head of Turner & Townsends’ New York office.

But longer-term, the crisis could change how developers and planners think about density. Tenants will likely need more office space per employee, reversing the trend of cramming workers per every 125 square foot, Rechler said. For larger, well-funded companies that could mean a bigger footprint, with some employees working remotely. For less-established businesses, it could translate to a smaller workforce.

More than ever, planners should be thinking about how to build out other regions with access to mass transit, Rechler said.

“We need to densify where density belongs,” he said. “Sprawling is not the outcome you want to have.”

Quote:
Long Island City and Downtown Brooklyn were rezoned to spur commercial development, but instead resulted in condo towers that far outnumbered new office space. Midtown East already has the built-in infrastructure and surrounding residential communities to accommodate office growth, Weisbrod noted.

“Could growth be delayed somewhat because of what has happened over the past three months? Yes, I think that’s a real possibility,” he said. “But I think the fundamentals are very strong.”

Mary Ann Tighe, CEO of CBRE’s New York tri-state region, said she doesn’t believe there’s any danger of office development in Midtown East outpacing demand. She argued that tenants will likely favor new office buildings post-Covid due, in part, to large open floor-plates and better air quality.

But the pandemic highlights the rezoning’s singular focus on office use. Tighe said air rights in the district should be made available for some residential space.

“I feel even more strongly that that is a flaw in the Midtown East rezoning, and it’s one we should revisit,” she said. “Midtown East should adopt the goal of creating a truly mixed-use neighborhood.”

Quote:
.....“I think people will work differently,” Rechler said. “This becomes more likely a scenario where people know that they can use technology.”

Ultimately, though, he and others believe most professionals will still want some face time in the office, giving companies a reason to keep their space. Recent leasing activity also shows promise for the office market once the pandemic subsides.

Late last month, TikTok committed to taking more than 230,000 square feet in the Durst Organization’s One Five One tower in Times Square. Facebook also still seems poised to lease 740,000 square feet at the renovated Farley Post Office. Downtown Alliance President Jessica Lappin said she was encouraged by the news that Uber affirmed last month that it still planned to move into 3 World Trade Center, despite company layoffs and office closures throughout the country.

“I don’t think people will want to work permanently from home,” she said. “Setting aside productivity, it’s hard to build culture, it’s hard to build teams if no one meets in person.”

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 12:58 PM
BANNED

Being next to GCT, which provides service for Westchester, Ct, and soon LI is a massive plus for this project.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 1:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Being next to GCT, which provides service for Westchester, Ct, and soon LI is a massive plus for this project.
As it is for every other tower in the area surrounding Grand Central. Most have direct access to the terminal, including this one. You really can't ask for more than that. It's why this region will and should remain a top office market in the city. It's built for just that, and density. If anything, they should have allowed for greater density, but they are concerned about crowding on the sidewalks. That's why we see so many plazas both on and off the street, being created in the area.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 1:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 12:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Slight changes to original filing.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 4:36 PM
DENNAB

Perimeter wall height doesn't refer to the very architectural top of the building does it? Isn't that the highest slab/highest straight shot to the highest slab from the street?

This could definitely be taller than 1388 I think?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 5:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Perimeter wall height doesn't refer to the very architectural top of the building does it? Isn't that the highest slab/highest straight shot to the highest slab from the street?

This could definitely be taller than 1388 I think?
Yes.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 12:54 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...uction-to-life

After Lockdown, JPMorgan’s 70-Floor Tower Rises Slowly on Park Avenue

By Elena Popina
June 11, 2020

Quote:
Anthony Vargas is taking no chances with the novel coronavirus.

To prove it, the 41-year-old New York City construction worker opens the front door of his truck where tossed in next to his set of Milwaukee tools are two bottles of CVS hand sanitizer, four face masks, two packs of Purell wipes and, most importantly, a 100-ml bottle of homemade sanitizer concocted out of alcohol and aloe by his mother who, he says, doesn’t trust the CVS (or any other) store brand.

“I use it a lot, smells great.”

Quote:
He recently added a new stop to his route: 270 Park Avenue, the future site of JPMorgan Chase & Co.’s world headquarters. On day two of the state’s Phase One reopening of the New York City economy, he dropped off a few metal panel doors, a couple screw guns and some other supplies to a construction crew that, at times, seemed to be almost outnumbered by the ever-present team of scowling security guards.

In the background, there was scaffolding all around the old office tower, which was being demolished floor by floor to make way for the new House of Dimon.

Completion is still years away, but the ramping up of construction on high-rise office towers like JPMorgan’s — which will be one of the largest in Manhattan, rise some 70 floors and be capable of housing roughly 15,000 employees — comes at what suddenly feels like an odd time. The pandemic has forced corporate America to rethink whether its office workers will ever come back in the same numbers, crammed into elevators and sitting shoulder-to-shoulder in open-plan workspaces. JPMorgan itself expects to keep its offices half full at the most for the “foreseeable future.
Quote:
At 270 Park, work actually never stopped completely during the lockdown, not even during the recent mass protests. (The bank had an exemption as an essential business because a new subway connection relies on the project’s completion.) Yet despite the familiar din of engines, cranes and jackhammers, construction workers say the pace is still far from normal. Many who were let go during the lockdown have yet to be called back.
Quote:
Across the street, Mohamed Elhadi, a construction worker at 277 Park Avenue, lit up as he ran down the names of the people he saw for the first time in weeks on Monday. Elhadi turns 65 this month and makes $40 an hour as a hard hat. He says the pandemic hit his finances hard.

“It’s about money — but not only for the city but for regular guys like me,” Elhadi says as he lights a Marlboro during lunch break. “Am I scared of getting sick? No, everything is in the hands of God. But I depend on my salary. I have two daughters to feed.”

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 12:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 1:08 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 6:19 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yes.
That's cool, I think the last PWH read 1341, meaning the tower could now be roughly 1470' high?

We shall see...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction