HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 10:02 PM

SAN FRANCISCO | 921 Howard St. | 192 FT | 18 FL

Quote:
. . . a mixed-use 18-story tower . . . . The Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation is the property owner and is overseeing that all 203 units will be sold as affordable housing.

San Francisco-based Perry Architects is responsible for the design. Renderings show black-framed floor to ceiling windows on the white precast concrete facade on top of a four-story black podium. A few units overlooking the narrow Tehama Street will include private balconies.

The 192-foot structure will yield 204,990 square feet, with 1,970 square feet for ground-floor retail and the rest for residential use. Of the 203 units, there will be 15 studios, 84 one-bedrooms, 88 two-bedrooms, and 16 three-bedrooms. 46% will be dedicated to residents earning 50% AMI (Area Median Income), 43% will be for residents earning 70% AMI, and the remaining 11% will be for residents earning 120% AMI. Amenities will be open above the podium, including a landscaped outdoor deck with seating wrapping around three sides of the building.

The development benefits from no parking requirements, making the project cheaper, more resource and environmentally efficient, and minimal congestion. Storage for 134 bicycles will be included on-site, with three vehicle parking spots for staff. The developers are expecting to meet GreenPoint Rated standards, a metric ranking water usage, waste produced, the available transit options, and considerations for the residents’ health.

. . . the developers also used Senate Bill 35 to expedite approval . . . .

Swinerton will be in charge of construction . . . [which] is estimated to cost $70 million . . . . The project will leave an available parcel for development at 206 5th Street.

https://sfyimby.com/2020/11/2013-may...francisco.html

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 10:04 PM

timbad's photo of demo/site prep:

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 3:03 AM
你的媽媽

203 units to 0 parking spaces!

It's also worth noting that although the property is owned by the Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation, this project is actually in SoMa.

Also interesting that this project does not encompass the entire developable area. It will leave an available parcel for development at 206 5th Street, the parking lot on the corner of 5th and Howard.

And here is the current Google Streetview:
https://goo.gl/maps/Dvtt2F4ZNB66erxd8

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
203 units to 0 parking spaces!
I'm not sure why that calls for celebration and I also think that if it weren't all "affordable" they couldn't sell it or make money selling it without some parking. But if people think they are getting a big enough bargain, I guess they'll assume they'll never want or need a car. For some that assumption may be correct but for others it may ultimately become a great inconvenience even if, day to day, they never drive in the city.

I live in a building that has plenty of parking but I don't own a car in the city. Still I'm very glad the garage is there for several reasons: I belong to ZipCar and there are a couple of ZipCars kept in our garage. When I do a road trip, I rent a car and it's nice to be able to park it in the garage to load it up and keep it there overnight in safety before leaving in the morning (we all know parking a vehicle with stealable items on SF streets is not smart).

Last edited by Pedestrian; Jul 7, 2021 at 1:46 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 7:50 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I'm not sure why that calls for celebration and I also think that if it weren't all "affordable" they couldn't sell it or make money selling it without some parking. But if people think they are getting a big enough bargain, I guess they'll assume they'll never want or need a car. For some that assumption may be correct but for others it may ultimately become a great inconvenience even if, day to day, they never drive in the city.

I live in a building that has plenty of parking but I don't own a car in the city. Still I'm very glad the garage is there for several reasons: I belong to ZipCar and there are a couple of ZipCars kept in our garage. When I do a road trip, I rent a car and it's nice to be able to park it in the garage to load it up and keep it there overnight in safety before leaving in the morning (we all know parking a vehicle with steerable items on SF streets is not smart).
No/minimal curb cuts, more pedestrians (your kinda people I would assume given your screenname), less automobile traffic/pollution resulting in a more activated and pleasant streetscape. Less parking spaces means more space dedicated to housing units too. Less/no parking spaces also means decreased demand from more wealthy buyers that might require parking, allowing folks with more median income means to have a better chance of buying.

Also, 2 blocks away from Powell BART and 1 block away from the new 4th St/Central Subway MUNI line. We need to be capitalizing on these projects, not shying away from by promoting higher car usage.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 11:34 PM

18 stories, all affordable. I like. I could see how have at least a few share car spaces would be convenient, but for all affordable we should take what we can get. And at least as rendered, it's not hideous!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 6:26 PM

story in today's Chronicle

"It took 13 years, but 200 affordable homes are finally coming to SoMa"

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sf/artic...e-16414863.php

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Construction Underway For 921 Howard Street, SoMa, San Francisco
BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON OCTOBER 8, 2021

Construction has started for the 18-story mixed-use apartment complex at 921 Howard Street in SoMa, San Francisco. Once complete, the project will add over two hundred affordable dwelling units and ground-level retail across from the topped-out 5M project. The joint venture with Curtis Development and Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation is responsible for the development.

Perry Architects is responsible for the design, which will be one of the largest affordable housing projects in the city and the largest for TNDC. The development will make use of precast concrete panels for the facade, expediting the project timeline . . . .

Swinerton is in charge of construction. The contractor is committed to meet the San Francisco Mayor’s Office of Housing & Community Development requirements of a fifth of the subcontracting amount for Small/Local Businesses.

Construction is estimated to cost $70 million and finish in the Spring of 2023.

https://sfyimby.com/2021/10/construc...francisco.html

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 8:04 PM

^^Those caissons should be enough to get it moved to U/C. Will ask.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 11:59 PM

It is confirmed! The crane that I see from my apartment in the Civic Center is at 921 Howard Street.
921 Howard Street at 5th Street

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 7:46 PM

So the project site goes all the way to 5th, but as Homebucket mentioned this project doesn’t encompass the entire project area (presumably the lot on 5th is being rented for staging by the contractor). Are there plans for the corner parcel, or will it go back to being a parking lot once this development is complete?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 10:35 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
So the project site goes all the way to 5th, but as Homebucket mentioned this project doesn’t encompass the entire project area (presumably the lot on 5th is being rented for staging by the contractor). Are there plans for the corner parcel, or will it go back to being a parking lot once this development is complete?
not sure if this is still current

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
not sure if this is still current
Ah, thanks for digging that up Timbad.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 4:45 PM

I contacted the project manager by e-mail and got a response about 921 Howard St. He kindly replied:

921 Howard comprises approximately 65 percent of the overall land between Howard, 5th, Tehama, and the neighboring buildings (925 Howard and 420 Tehama). The remaining parcel (206 5th street), which covers the parcel directly on the corner of 5th and Howard street and where construction equipment is currently being staged, will not be built on as part of the 921 Howard development.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 6:05 PM

current state of affairs...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 10:40 PM

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 6:53 PM
你的媽媽

Should start rising pretty quickly now.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 4:17 PM
你的媽媽

Some construction updates courtesy of SFYIMBY.

Another rendering

https://sfyimby.com/2022/03/construc...francisco.html

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 12:19 AM

I've been wondering when we were going to get our first World Food...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 9:09 PM

6/13/2022 The first view of the construction from my window in the Civic Center. This building will not block the view of the bay for me. This is a telephoto picture.

921 Howard St. @ 5th. St. San Francisco

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction