HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 12:47 AM

Cool CHICAGO | 420 N May | 575 FT | 53 FLOORS

420 N. May
52 Floors
587 Units
Hartshorne & Plunkard Architecture

Last edited by BVictor1; Dec 8, 2022 at 3:44 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 12:49 AM
devout Pizzatarian

The west loop tower explosion rolls on!!!

I honestly never thought we'd see anything close to 600' west of Halsted. And this is nearly a half mile west of Halsted!

Hell, 10 years ago I woulda told ya we'd be extremely lucky to get even half that height out that way.

Chicago's lakefront-hugging skyline is finally making a seriously deep inland push.

And I like it.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 8, 2022 at 1:02 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 1:04 AM
Show me the blueprints

Hot damn.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 1:18 AM

Really nice. They are building a second city in the second city!!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 4:04 PM

NEMA West?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 6:56 PM
Ω

This must be the tallest building west of 90.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 7:18 PM

Seeing a 600 footer adjacent to a bunch of 4-flats is almost Toronto levels of dystopia. Wonder if the city is going to annex that area of West Town into the downtown zoning district.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
The west loop tower explosion rolls on!!!

I honestly never thought we'd see anything close to 600' west of Halsted. And this is nearly a half mile west of Halsted!

Hell, 10 years ago I woulda told ya we'd be extremely lucky to get even half that height out that way.

Chicago's lakefront-hugging skyline is finally making a seriously deep inland push.

And I like it.
I remember 20 years ago we never thought we'd get anything taller than 400' south of Roosevelt. We were all giddy with OMP when announced in 2005 and were ecstatic with the 2015r reveal of the 896' NEMA and it's potential taller twin.

I'm enjoying these vertical evolutions of downtown surrounding areas. Start short with Museum Park/NOBU then BAM!!! Eventual verticality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
This must be the tallest building west of 90.

Well, there's always that potential 1200 W. Fulton proposal/vision... I'm hoping projects like this will help get something better for 1300 W. Carroll (Silo) site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Seeing a 600 footer adjacent to a bunch of 4-flats is almost Toronto levels of dystopia. Wonder if the city is going to annex that area of West Town into the downtown zoning district.
There's certainly an 'other side of the tracks' juxtaposition of verticality on either side of the viaduct. I'm wondering if that area should becomes apart of that district. Are there many open parcels? I wonder if it would b worth it...

Last edited by BVictor1; Dec 8, 2022 at 10:38 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
There's certainly an 'other side of the tracks' juxtaposition of verticality on either side of the viaduct. I'm wondering if that area should becomes apart of that district. Are there many open parcels? I wonder if it would b worth it...
I checked the zoning map for that stretch of Grand Ave and much of it is zoned for manufacturing. There are a bunch of 1 story nondescript buildings, but also lots of beautiful late 19th century buildings that should be preserved. So there's a lot of potential to develop along Grand Ave, but also risks of tearing down buildings that contribute to the area.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2022, 4:27 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Not sure Im understanding the usage of the word "dystopia" here... Dystopia is a pretty specific word with negative connotations in relation to society and how the world functions, not "goofy urban fabric"

Old Posted Dec 10, 2022, 9:08 PM
TL;DR

Yeah I'm mostly for preserving that area. It's not single-family homes but mostly dense 3-4 flats. There's also a unique heritage there with a mix of vintage Italian businesses and newer hipster establishments.

That being said, I'm all for a few midrises around the edges. They already built one at Ogden/May, and Sterling Bay has long planned to do a midrise on the abandoned gas station at Grand/Aberdeen. If someone wants to tear down the strip mall with Starbucks and Byline Bank, that would also be great...

Old Posted Dec 10, 2022, 9:26 PM

Wonderful building! I really like the crown at the top of the building. I haven't seen one like that in awhile. Most recently constructed buildings in Chicago have flat roof. So it's nice to see this kind of embellishment to the top of the building. I hope this actually gets built without being VE'd

Old Posted Dec 10, 2022, 11:48 PM

Any way to add the 'chicago' tag to this thread? I didn't see that this was created. How do/did people find this thread?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 8:08 PM

From my 3d model:

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 2:05 AM

rgarri, if there was a way to "like" pics on the forum like there is on social media, I'd like every model you post. Everything. Great job!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 2:06 AM
Meh

Cool design. The top sort of reminds me of Austin's Independent, but with glass instead of only mesh.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 6:29 PM
1st Ward

Love it! Keep pushing the downtown skyline west!

It's been said so much that its almost like a broken record, but Chicago is literally building a brand new CBD adjacent to one of the largest CBDs in the country. Its really thrilling to see this happen in real time. The changes between now and 20 years ago when I was a UIC undergrad and spent a lot of time in the neighborhood is almost too hard to comprehend!

Last edited by left of center; Dec 15, 2022 at 7:22 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 6:48 PM

Quote:
I checked the zoning map for that stretch of Grand Ave and much of it is zoned for manufacturing. There are a bunch of 1 story nondescript buildings, but also lots of beautiful late 19th century buildings that should be preserved. So there's a lot of potential to develop along Grand Ave, but also risks of tearing down buildings that contribute to the area.
ya'll talk so cavalier about my neighborhood! Grand/Hubbard is really mixed use. Lots of residential, mixed with industrial type stuff, and the best row sandwich shops in the city. There might be a few lots that could support high rises, but a bunch of nice old buildings here too. Fill in the few vacant lots, build up on the couple 1 story warehouses first, then lets talk.

PS- my neighbors organized to try to kill/modify 400 N. Elizabeth, so expect another push for this one. Burnett cut out a section of the loudest neighbors in the remap though

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTowner View Post
PS- my neighbors organized to try to kill/modify 400 N. Elizabeth, so expect another push for this one. Burnett cut out a section of the loudest neighbors in the remap though
I appreciate that his attitude towards NIMBYs had basically been "well I guess you're gonna have a terrible time because I'm gonna slather the ward with high rises"

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post
I appreciate that his attitude towards NIMBYs had basically been "well I guess you're gonna have a terrible time because I'm gonna slather the ward with high rises"
Oh yeah. There's some bad blood between Walter and a few of the River West neighbors, to the point where he won't even meet with them. He drew some out of the ward and doesn't really need their votes so screw 'em.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals