HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Of course none of this is helped by the fact that transit is not a long term solution.

All the buses from Delta/WR/SS now connect at the overcapacity Canada Line. Vancouver not only doesn't build roads to meet capacity but this is made worse by the fact that the transit they want everyone to take is not built to high capacity levels either.
Would be nice if we didn't have to wait 2 years for 11 additional Canada Line trains.

They should've built it with Expo/Millennium line tech and spec.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
All the buses from Delta/WR/SS now connect at the overcapacity Canada Line. Vancouver not only doesn't build roads to meet capacity but this is made worse by the fact that the transit they want everyone to take is not built to high capacity levels either.
Well, let's not forget that it's ridiculously cheap to double the capacity of the Canada line (just buy more trainsets) compared to doubling the capacity of the tunnel. In fact, the Canada Line, at around 130,000 boardings per day, could already be said to have almost 60% more capacity compared to the Massey Tunnel's 80,000 trips per day.

Do we need the tunnel to be upgraded? Sure. Do we need more transit too? Absolutely. Every dollar spent on transit moves substantially more people than the same dollar spent on roads, so it should be a no-brainer.

Unfortunately the previous government seems to have had no brains, since it repeatedly threw up obstacles to transit funding while throwing gobs of money at roads.

Here's hoping the new government takes a more balanced approach.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 12:08 AM

First point, don't bother explaining the Canada Line to ssiguy, he has been lectured about it countless times and never seems to listen.

Second, yes, a balanced approach, and the GMB project with rapid bus was balanced for this corridor.

And yes I do agree that there never should have been a transit referendum and that the Broadway Skytrain should go forward without question.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Well, let's not forget that it's ridiculously cheap to double the capacity of the Canada line (just buy more trainsets) compared to doubling the capacity of the tunnel. In fact, the Canada Line, at around 130,000 boardings per day, could already be said to have almost 60% more capacity compared to the Massey Tunnel's 80,000 trips per day.

Do we need the tunnel to be upgraded? Sure. Do we need more transit too? Absolutely. Every dollar spent on transit moves substantially more people than the same dollar spent on roads, so it should be a no-brainer.

Unfortunately the previous government seems to have had no brains, since it repeatedly threw up obstacles to transit funding while throwing gobs of money at roads.

Here's hoping the new government takes a more balanced approach.
A little birdie told me that new trains for the Canada Line have been being investigated for a little while now actually. May be in the works.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 1:08 AM

With more volume seen this week on the Port Mann bridge and the traffic jam at the Lougheed Hwy/Hwy 1 merge point in Coquitlam. We are seeing a firsthand case where a new GMB would create the same outcome - pushing the bottleneck of traffic further down to Oak Street. However, I am for the new bridge as the ailing tunnel is not sufficient, and needs replacing anyway. A new bridge would also galvanize further improvements down the corridor for "transit", commuters, and goods movers, such as upgrading the Oak street and Knight street bridges with a series of off ramps connecting to Cambie, Granville, Fraser streets, etc., to better disperse traffic entering the city rather than pinching traffic flow on one street.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 1:42 AM

Right, but three-fifths of GMT traffic stops at Richmond and does not affect Oak or Knight.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Right, but three-fifths of GMT traffic stops at Richmond and does not affect Oak or Knight.
Even if only 60% of the GMT traffic only goes to richmond and not over the oak and knight street bridges. That still means that approx 30-40% are crossing those bridges. So any increase in the amount of traffic that does cross the GMT/GMB will still have an effect on the amount of traffic that is crossing the Oak and Knight street bridges.

A lot of people seem to be assuming that any increase in traffic going through or over the GMT/GMB will only result in an increase in the amount of traffic going into Richmond.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Richmond City Council doesnt agree
Carol Day rationalized that the data compiled only used vehicles with Bluetooth Technology therefore ignoring the plethora of cars that dont use bluetooth but somehow manage to squeak by using Oak Street Bridge only. Apparently all of the 40% that stay in Richmond have bluetooth enabled for traffic statistics.

However I am skeptical of that fact also as Oak Street Bridge (85K/Day from year 2000) carries the same if not more amount of traffic as GMT (82K/Day). So if the oak street bridge has more traffic than GMT, isnt the 60% of traffic from GMT to OSB argument a moot point if the oak street bridge is still as crammed as the current tunnel?

And say really 60% of GMT traffic actually makes it to Oak St Bridge, it sounds like it makes up the other 40% from Steveston, Westminister, 91, and Bridgeport alone?

Last edited by moosejaw; Sep 14, 2017 at 6:12 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 5:25 PM

This morning due to a crash on Highway 91 and approximately No 9 Road Highway 91 was temporarily blocked. Of course extra traffic that reverberates along the other routes. They kept the Massey Tunnel northbound counterflow lane in longer to compensate for the extra backups. Of course that meant according to google backups along 99 south pretty much to Westminster Highway. Yeah let's not build that bridge sounds like a great idea. Said no
one ever. What a joke.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 6:59 PM

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 3:57 AM

Agree or disagree. Haven't had a post on this thread in over a week. Pretty soon the general public will stop caring. I get the feeling the government will be happy that people have forgotten or stopped caring.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Agree or disagree. Haven't had a post on this thread in over a week. Pretty soon the general public will stop caring. I get the feeling the government will be happy that people have forgotten or stopped caring.
yup, sounds about right. that's what all government banks on. and it works, the people have a very short attention span; especially with the internet now.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 10:46 PM

I assure you that the people who use this corridor are unable to forget.

On both Saturday and Sunday mornings this past weekend, all ramps to Steveston Hwy were backed up onto the freeway, blocking through lanes, and no traffic could move away from the overpass. On mid-Sunday afternoon it took me 45 minutes to cross the freeway to access eastern Richmond.

The infrastructure is insufficient and it is painfully obvious.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 10:51 PM

if its not in the budget its as good as gone until next year anyways. Mayor Brodie and Metro Mayors may have one this round but Mayor Lois will hatch her dragons next spring and lay ashes to richmond. She will get her bridge!!!!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 11:50 PM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
I assure you that the people who use this corridor are unable to forget.

On both Saturday and Sunday mornings this past weekend, all ramps to Steveston Hwy were backed up onto the freeway, blocking through lanes, and no traffic could move away from the overpass. On mid-Sunday afternoon it took me 45 minutes to cross the freeway to access eastern Richmond.

The infrastructure is insufficient and it is painfully obvious.
That area you're talking about gets backed up every day. Westbound lanes are backed up from the overpass back until silver city every rush hour. This is exactly why the Steveston interchange was designed the way it was. It NEEDS to have all those direct connections. Unless you drive this area regularly you won't understand

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
Geez, mon! Why don't you just go a few minutes "out of your way" and use Blundel? You'd save yourself a heck of a lot of time.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 1:56 AM

An immature comment, I know, but maybe the NDP should keep the "construction starting in 2017" signs up, but slap a huge "Cancelled by the NDP!" sticker over top just to remind drivers on their daily commutes.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
An immature comment, I know, but maybe the NDP should keep the "construction starting in 2017" signs up, but slap a huge "Cancelled by the NDP!" sticker over top just to remind drivers on their daily commutes.
Too funny and so true. At least take the damn signs down. Don't confuse or lie to drivers anymore.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 3:02 PM

Quote:
I'd pay to see that happen!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 4:02 PM

Quote:
but slap a huge "Cancelled by the NDP!" sticker over top just to remind drivers on their daily commutes.
Its a great idea, weve seen worse things this week...well in my country south of you guys anyways

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure