HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #13321  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 11:58 PM
MichaelRyerson's Avatar
MichaelRyerson MichaelRyerson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,132
This shows the north building pretty clearly...

and check out the cool streetlight hanging over the intersection...


los angeles high school, 1910

Photograph of Los Angeles High School, Fort Moore Hill, overgrown with vines, 1910. At center, the original six story bell tower building is covered with ivy. At left, the vines stop on the clock tower just beneath the clock, whose hands are missing. The side entrance is partially hidden behind the bough of a tree but the sloping columns are apparent where they frame the staircase. At right, a lone automobile is parked along the sidewalk near the second, north building.

USC digital archive
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13322  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 1:08 AM
belmont bob belmont bob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
and check out the cool streetlight hanging over the intersection...


los angeles high school, 1910

Photograph of Los Angeles High School, Fort Moore Hill, overgrown with vines, 1910. At center, the original six story bell tower building is covered with ivy. At left, the vines stop on the clock tower just beneath the clock, whose hands are missing. The side entrance is partially hidden behind the bough of a tree but the sloping columns are apparent where they frame the staircase. At right, a lone automobile is parked along the sidewalk near the second, north building.

USC digital archive
and there it is..the building i mention in my previous post...it looks as if it would be an important building all on its own, but it seems to always take a backseat to the big building...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13323  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 1:14 AM
tovangar2 tovangar2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West Los Angeles
Posts: 2,619
There's an aside in Carey McWilliam's "Southern California: An Island on the Land" (1946):

"Some years ago a leading citizen of Pasadena was arrested on the morning of the day when he was have to received an honorary degree from a local college. Along with seven or eight other other leading lights of Pasadena, all men of advanced years, he was charged with having engaged in a charming assortment of sexual perversions with school-aged youngsters. He later committed suicide. The prompt and efficient manner in which this particular scandal was buried under an avalanche of dense silence remains one of the most remarkable accomplishments of the remarkable Los Angeles press." Chapter XV "The Los Angeles Archipelago", 5. "The Crown of the Valley"


Anyone got the story on that, or is it really lost down the memory hole? I've never had any luck trying to research it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13324  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 1:48 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont bob View Post
and there it is..the building i mention in my previous post...it looks as if it would be an important building all on its own, but it seems to always take a backseat to the big building...
I wasn't aware of the north-side addition. Thanks for pointing that out belmont bob, and double thanks to MichaelRyerson for finding the photograph.

...but what's up with the clock!? Was it ever in working order?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 16, 2013 at 2:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13325  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 2:00 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
For a brief time, Westchester had the Loyola, the Paradise, and a third theater. It was the 1,530-seat La Tijera, on La Tijera Blvd. just south of Centinela in far NE Westchester. The S. Charles Lee-designed building operated as a theater only for about four years, starting in January 1949. Next it was a bowling alley and is now an office building.


UCLA Digital -- http://digital.library.ucla.edu/scle...602&FULLSIZE=y

[and the last time the Googlemobile went by:

GSV
Excellent post on the La Tijera Theater Flyingwedge! It's hard to believe that's the same building.
__
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13326  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 2:34 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 15,131
I thought this might stir some memories...


http://www.lapl.org/

The Ice Capades at Pan-Pacific Auditorium (date unknown)
__
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13327  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 2:43 AM
belmont bob belmont bob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I thought this might stir some memories...


http://www.lapl.org/

The Ice Capades at Pan-Pacific Auditorium (date unknown)
__
yes, it does for me as i mentioned in an earlier post, my parents were big fans...and i remember going to see these, i just don't remember if it was once or twice or what...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13328  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 3:17 AM
belmont bob belmont bob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I wasn't aware of the north-side addition. Thanks for pointing that out belmont bob, and double thanks to MichaelRyerson for finding the photograph.

...but what's up with the clock!? Was it ever in working order?
the second building is clearly shown on the Baist's maps and if the scale is anything close to the real building footprint looks a little larger than the original building...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13329  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 5:05 AM
ProphetM ProphetM is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 433
Stevens Place

So, I was looking at the wonderful photos posted of the second high school, and trying to place in my mind how it related to the location on the hill of the first high school (after they moved it from Poundcake Hill). I found what I was looking for on the Baist maps, but it also set me to wondering about Stevens Place, southeast of the corner of Grand & Sunset, which is now also part of the school property.


Historic Map Works

I know the street is long gone, and the land now occupied by that giant school building, but I wanted to see if anything remained of it - like a half-covered remnant of curved curbing or something else to indicate there was once a street corner there.

There's no curved concrete that I can tell. But wait - right next to what would have been the SE corner of Grand Ave. & Stevens Place, there is a storm drain, surrounded by concrete that looks older than the rest of the sidewalk. And look what's painted on it:


Google Street View

Like that brick basement wall recently excavated downtown on a lot that has been a parking lot for decades, posted a few pages back - it's interesting how some things can stick around long past when you'd think they would be completely gone. If you Google for stevens place, los angeles, you even get a map of just the right spot, even though there is no Stevens Place actually on the map.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13330  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 5:41 AM
belmont bob belmont bob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 177
LA High School ..second building?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
So, I was looking at the wonderful photos posted of the second high school, and trying to place in my mind how it related to the location on the hill of the first high school (after they moved it from Poundcake Hill). I found what I was looking for on the Baist maps, but it also set me to wondering about Stevens Place, southeast of the corner of Grand & Sunset, which is now also part of the school property.


Historic Map Works

I know the street is long gone, and the land now occupied by that giant school building, but I wanted to see if anything remained of it - like a half-covered remnant of curved curbing or something else to indicate there was once a street corner there.

There's no curved concrete that I can tell. But wait - right next to what would have been the SE corner of Grand Ave. & Stevens Place, there is a storm drain, surrounded by concrete that looks older than the rest of the sidewalk. And look what's painted on it:


Like that brick basement wall recently excavated downtown on a lot that has been a parking lot for decades, posted a few pages back - it's interesting how some things can stick around long past when you'd think they would be completely gone. If you Google for stevens place, los angeles, you even get a map of just the right spot, even though there is no Stevens Place actually on the map.
and while you look at Stevens Place ..what is right before our eyes...none other than the north building of the high school..or at least what is labled as such
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13331  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 11:41 AM
GaylordWilshire's Avatar
GaylordWilshire GaylordWilshire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,569
Beckett house, revisited


MLS


It looks like Curbed has discovered the Beckett house, years after Noirish and others: http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/0...snormandie.php


See also Noirish post 1848 here and 1849 here.


Don't miss the great Alison Krause/Robert Plant video showing the Beckett's interior and grounds--it has a new new link and is worth the mindless 30 sec ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Xi5gvZ7Kk
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13332  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 1:05 PM
GaylordWilshire's Avatar
GaylordWilshire GaylordWilshire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,569
Dust to dust











"The beautiful new home of Dr. and Mrs. W. W. Beckett of No. 2218 Harvard boulevard was brilliantly alight with electricity and gay flowers last evening, at the handsomely appointed reception which they gave in celebration of their twenty-fifth wedding anniversary.

"Dr. and Mrs. Beckett were married just twenty-five years ago yesterday at San Luis Obispo and since then, for most of the time, have made their home in this city, where they possess a large number of friends. Last night's affair was given as a supper and few knew it was an anniversary until they arrived.

"The entire home was trimmed with asparagus ferns in clinging tendrils and the handsome couple received their friends beneath an arch of feathery greens, in which silver tinsel was tightly wound, and from the center of which hung a huge bell of green, covered with shining tinsel, and a silvery electric light formed the clapper. White bride roses graced this room. The drawing-room was in bride roses and ferns, and in the large colonial hall, lit with red candles in odd brass candlesticks, poinsettias formed striking ornaments against the white of the walls. The den was also in poinsettias, and the dining-room was adorned with the flaming blossoms. Below stairs when refreshments were served in the gymnasium, scarlet crepe paper canopied the walls and holly and poinsettias were combined about the room. The table was lit with red candles, set in quaint old brass sconces, and down the center were set pots of the poinsettias.

"The hostess herself was charmingly attired in silver gray satin gown of softest sheen, trimmed with applique and velvet roses,and wore silver ornaments.

"Assisting in receiving were Mmes W. W. D. Turner, Walter Lindley, R. M. Widney, W. H. Richards, Z. L. Parmalee, R. H. Lacey and Mrs. Lee A. Phillips of Stockton and Mrs. Charles Crothers of San Jose, Miss Maude Elizabeth Richards, Miss Hawks, Miss Belle McClung,Miss Clara Parmalee and Miss Zella Kohn Arend's orchestra discoursed sweet music through the evening, and nearly five hundred guests congratulated the popular couple."





All color pics CurbedLA/b&w LAT
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13333  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 2:13 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 15,131
It sure is wonderful to see the magnificent Beckett House again. Thanks GW!
__

Interesting discovery on Steven's Place ProphetM. Isn't it fun when you come across remnants like that? Gotta love the google-mobile!

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 16, 2013 at 2:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13334  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 3:23 PM
Graybeard's Avatar
Graybeard Graybeard is offline
Comfortably Numb
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 116
I made the series of shots from post #13287 into a gif. I can slow it down if it's going too fast.



Series from http://catalog.library.ca.gov/F/EC37...003&format=999
__________________
Argue With Everybody
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13335  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 3:25 PM
MichaelRyerson's Avatar
MichaelRyerson MichaelRyerson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,132
View from the west...

somewhat later than we'd like, I know, but this is really the only thing I've found looking back to Fort Moore Hill from the west...nice shot, lots of things in here.


aerial looking southeast across fort moore hill, ca,1939

USC digital archive/Dick Whittington collection
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13336  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 3:33 PM
belmont bob belmont bob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
It sure is wonderful to see the magnificent Beckett House again. Thanks GW!
__

Interesting discovery on Steven's Place ProphetM. Isn't it fun when you come across remnants like that? Gotta love the google-mobile!
It's a wonderful old house for sure.

The only architectural features that seem to have changed over the years is the discarded parapet railings along the roof edge. But that ia an interesting one. Was a flat roof replaced by a sloping roof to improve drainage? Or maybe to keep people from walking on it. To me, that is a significant alteration. Hummm.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13337  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 3:36 PM
belmont bob belmont bob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
I made the series of shots from post #13287 into a gif. I can slow it down if it's going too fast.



Series from http://catalog.library.ca.gov/F/EC37...003&format=999
this is amazing...oh how much fun we could have if other builders would have done the same time to time photos during construction..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13338  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 3:44 PM
belmont bob belmont bob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
somewhat later than we'd like, I know, but this is really the only thing I've found looking back to Fort Moore Hill from the west...nice shot, lots of things in here.


aerial looking southeast across fort moore hill, ca,1939

USC digital archive/Dick Whittington collection
Alas, too late to see the old high school buildings and Stevens Place….and the north portal to the Hill St. no 2 tunnel is cut off or blocked by a building. Does anyone know when the Central Jr. High was built? Has there been any street level photos posted similar to the old high school shots?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13339  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 4:07 PM
belmont bob belmont bob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 177
West view of Fort Moore Hill

Another interesting view Michael of the Fort Moore Hill area would have been the buildings located on the narrow finger formed by the south side of Sunset and the north side where Hill wraps around to the west. That was a significant grade change as Hill climbs up to the level of the school while Sunset continues to slope down towards Broadway. Those buildings squeezed into that area which is clearly seen on the Baist’s map would indeed have been perched there like pigeons on a wire.
Sometimes the deatails are just so close and yet just enough to be frustrating.

Last edited by belmont bob; Mar 16, 2013 at 4:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13340  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 4:41 PM
GaylordWilshire's Avatar
GaylordWilshire GaylordWilshire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
and check out the cool streetlight hanging over the intersection...




Photograph of Los Angeles High School, Fort Moore Hill, overgrown with vines, 1910. At center, the original six story bell tower building is covered with ivy. At left, the vines stop on the clock tower just beneath the clock, whose hands are missing. The side entrance is partially hidden behind the bough of a tree but the sloping columns are apparent where they frame the staircase. At right, a lone automobile is parked along the sidewalk near the second, north building.

USC digital archive

MR: We--my Angeleno friend and I--are thinking that maybe this is a little closer to the year the school moved to Olympic in 1917 than 1910. Can anyone zero in on the make/approx year of that car? Also--I'm not positive, but I believe that old style of intersection streetlamp was lowerable on a pulley system for changing the bulb etc....

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Mar 16, 2013 at 4:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:52 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.