HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 2:48 PM

From Crain's story on DPI:

Quote:
The headquarters itself will be a little smaller, with a less-challenging and less-costly design than originally anticipated. DPI officials were able to trim roughly $80 million from the original cost, eliminating one floor as well as the basement. The facade was redesigned from an elaborate, mostly glass honeycomb structure to a somewhat more traditional design that’s nonetheless striking with a dramatically curved top.
Sounds about right.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Bailey said Related now will “immediately launch work” on four other buildings, including a wet lab that would count the university as a major tenant, an incubator for start-up companies, a retail structure and a university gathering center that Bailey hopes will serve as center of sorts for the eastern part of UIC's campus.

If I had to guess this would be the likely plan so far.

Wet Lab
Incubator
Retail
University Gathering Center

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 3:04 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The building in the foreground of this image (south of the SCAL bridge) looks quite fleshed out - and that site was supposed to be an expansion of Ping Tom Park. Although if you zoom in the forest of bonsai trees on the roof is kinda funny... The four story timber midrise north of the bridge looks fairly developed too. Is Related jumping on the mass timber bandwagon like Sterling Bay?
That building adjacent to Ping Tom Park was one of the more contentious ones for Chinatown NIMBYs because it impacted the views from the Park I guess. It was supposed to be a highrise, but they may have just conceded and I’m hoping they’ll try to shift those units elsewhere in the site.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 5:14 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Woah! Pretty substantial design changes to DPI too (VE'd?).
Probably belongs in The 78 thread...

I liked the original OMA design, but I also like this.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 7:08 PM
TL;DR

Yeah it's more subdued but definitely distinctive and unique in the city. More architectural detail available here:
https://uofi.app.box.com/s/xg30u1hxg...6yiv9s7lbktcmk

I saw a tidbit somewhere that Lightfoot has also agreed to Related's request for an infrastructure subsidy, which was overshadowed by the DPI news but is a huge deal for Related. Cutting 15th St between Clark and Wells and relocating the Rock Island Metra tracks will really be the umbilical cord linking the DPI cluster to the South Loop.

Last edited by ardecila; Sep 24, 2022 at 7:20 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 7:42 PM
BANNED

So is the underground red line station still happening? I doubt it. Sad the only new extension we will get in years will be the useless red line extension to the far southside.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 7:50 PM
TL;DR

I doubt this area around DPI will have enough density to warrant a new subway station. Seems like we will get medium density at best, with higher densities toward the north end.
Remember, the north end of 78 is actually closer to the existing stop at Roosevelt and that offers Green and Orange Line service as well.

My guess is that Related will work with CTA to get one or two bus lines to run up Wells-Wentworth when DPI opens. They already built the street with concrete bus pads. If they could get an extension of the 22 to Chinatown, that would be huge for a direct and frequent North Side connection but would add some operating cost. Rerouting the 24 or 62 would be essentially free but those buses don't run as often.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 7:51 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
So is the underground red line station still happening? I doubt it. Sad the only new extension we will get in years will be the useless red line extension to the far southside.
My guess is that they will leave room for a future station and we won't see any real talks about breaking ground until most of the 78 is built out.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 3:50 PM
BANNED

The red line stop should be a requirement. If only to drive out the suburbanites living in the area.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 4:15 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principality View Post
The red line stop should be a requirement. If only to drive out the suburbanites living in the area.
I agree.

Did the developers pledge any funds into the station's construction? They should definitely not be left off the hook for that.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I doubt this area around DPI will have enough density to warrant a new subway station.
Hell of a lot more dense than the RLE stations which everyone is eager to spend $3b+ on.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 6:52 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I agree.

Did the developers pledge any funds into the station's construction? They should definitely not be left off the hook for that.
No, that's not how it works. The money for the infrastructure projects comes out of the property taxes that the new developments pay. If Related decides not to pursue certain infrastructure projects, that money simply goes into the regular tax coffers as part of the required property tax payment. It's not like they get to keep the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
My guess is that they will leave room for a future station and we won't see any real talks about breaking ground until most of the 78 is built out.
Yes, this is a possibility. Once they realign the Rock Island tracks, they should have easy access to the existing Red Line tunnel to construct a station box. Any building at the SW corner of 15th/Clark is years away.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 7:15 PM

^ Looking at ardecila's diagram and the DPI's renderings, it looks like the SCAL is still going to have a weird bend in it's route. I'm surprised that the city didn't ask for DPI to be shifted a bit north. With the SCAL reconstruction, this would have been a great opportunity to straighten the tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj1 View Post

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 12:54 PM

OMA has an updated page of renderings on its website:
https://www.oma.com/projects/discove...e-headquarters

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 5:57 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
^ Looking at ardecila's diagram and the DPI's renderings, it looks like the SCAL is still going to have a weird bend in it's route. I'm surprised that the city didn't ask for DPI to be shifted a bit north. With the SCAL reconstruction, this would have been a great opportunity to straighten the tracks
The river bridge isn't aligned with the SCAL east of Clark, so there has to be a bend of some kind, it'll never be perfectly straight.

The SCAL bridge over Clark still needs replaced and the plan is to straighten it out when they do that. However, this means realigning about 600' of track west of Clark St on both the SCAL and CN's Freeport Sub. They actually made the new bridge deck over the Freeport Sub extra wide so that the Freeport Sub track can be re-aligned in the future, and the abutment walls were made extra wide so that the bridge deck can be slid laterally a few feet as well.

The problem here at 16th Jct is so many interested parties (CN, Metra, Related, and Amtrak) and hammering out a deal for who does what work in what order has been tricky. If Amtrak gets their big federal grant, then the assumption is that they will pay for everything.

The DPI location does mean that the B&OCT bridge (the permanently up one) can never be re-used, at least for rail. A ped-bike rehab would be nice for that bridge, but I'm not sure anybody wants a convenient walking path to Pacific Garden Mission.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 7:15 PM
1st Ward

^ Any chance the SCAL will be dual tracked again? I don't recall if that's part of the plan of the new direct access ramp to Union Station from the SCAL (to avoid having to reverse into the station) for Amtrak trains. If CrossRail Chicago actually gets backing, then they would definitely need the added capacity.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 8:18 PM

I know I am being ridiculous but I wish the observation tower could still be built. The DPI can anchor the south side of the 78 and the tower and anchor the north side of the 78. And it would really activate a riverwalk with amenities located near the base of the tower. Imagine you could board a river cruise boat at michigan ave and be dropped off at the tower's base with access to the top of the building and have a glass of wine while watching the sunset.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 8:59 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
I know I am being ridiculous but I wish the observation tower could still be built. The DPI can anchor the south side of the 78 and the tower and anchor the north side of the 78. And it would really activate a riverwalk with amenities located near the base of the tower. Imagine you could board a river cruise boat at michigan ave and be dropped off at the tower's base with access to the top of the building and have a glass of wine while watching the sunset.
if you were to build an observation tower somewhere in the city... probably the best place would be the end of navy pier?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
if you were to build an observation tower somewhere in the city... probably the best place would be the end of navy pier?
Like this?

https://twitter.com/chi_geek/status/1482084119660089345

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Go back in time. Tell them the future depends on the World’s Fair skyride. Enjoy the authentic Chicago observation structure. Yay

https://www.chicagomag.com/city-life...ogress-photos/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development