HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 3:30 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
The Cooper - 200 block Lower Market Street:

Complex runs back to King Street:

300-400 block of Market Street is seeing a lot of activity, everything around the old Farmer's Bank on Market St/4th Street has been demo'ed, and the bank itself is getting new windows, cleaned up. Looks great.

The city bought this older building at the corner of 8th and Market, it was a Rite Aid before it closed a few years ago. The city is renovating it to be a smaller, grocery store. I haven't heard who is going to run the grocer though, or if the city was able to land a national brand.

Across town, to 2000 Pennsylvania Ave., this one is finally open! Residents have started moving in, the Sante Fe restaurant is open. Some of the retail spaces on Grant Ave. are still finishing up construction inside (but we have the Mexican restaurant, a federal union bank, and a rock climbing gym already in place here). This is a Bernardon construction project, who recently completed 44 West in West Chester. Bernardon is lined up for the Festival Pier project in Philly, along with a new apt building project near the Rail Park in Callowhill.

Capano's massive three building luxury apartment complex on the Brandywine Creek continues. I was saddened to see how many huge trees were destroyed in Alapocas State Park over the past few weeks which is essentially this project's front lawn. From this vantage point, you could not see the buildings under construction only a few weeks ago.

Beautiful summary Jawn thank you.

What is the old farmers bank now?

Also any idea on the projects at the other side of the riverfront?

I remember them clearing land at the plot next to the Salvation Army building and also that plot being bought.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Beautiful summary Jawn thank you.

What is the old farmers bank now?

Also any idea on the projects at the other side of the riverfront?

I remember them clearing land at the plot next to the Salvation Army building and also that plot being bought.
A law firm moved into the old Farmer's Bank building fairly recently. Now if only BP Group can get the Frank Furness building at 6th/N. Market open again. A few years ago BP Group announced they would be renovating the inside to become a boutique/luxury hotel, but nothing has happened for a couple years.

BP Group bought the plot on the river next to the Sal. Army, along with that building itself. The Sal. Army is still open as of now. I guess BP Group is waiting to figure out what to do with it.

I'm a little surprised no Philly developers have made the step to build in Wilmington -- either downtown or on the Riverfront. According to BPG and Capano, all their new luxury apartments at both locations are essentially at capacity/occupied, and their monthly rent rates really aren't much cheaper than new Philly luxury apartments. I would think someone like PMC, Alterra, Hanover, etc... could scoop up a surface parking lot in downtown Wilmington for dirt cheap. The eastern side of the Riverfront is ripe for the taking as well.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 3:37 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
A law firm moved into the old Farmer's Bank building fairly recently. Now if only BP Group can get the Frank Furness building at 6th/N. Market open again. A few years ago BP Group announced they would be renovating the inside to become a boutique/luxury hotel, but nothing has happened for a couple years.

BP Group bought the plot on the river next to the Sal. Army, along with that building itself. The Sal. Army is still open as of now. I guess BP Group is waiting to figure out what to do with it.

I'm a little surprised no Philly developers have made the step to build in Wilmington -- either downtown or on the Riverfront. According to BPG and Capano, all their new luxury apartments at both locations are essentially at capacity/occupied, and their monthly rent rates really aren't much cheaper than new Philly luxury apartments. I would think someone like PMC, Alterra, Hanover, etc... could scoop up a surface parking lot in downtown Wilmington for dirt cheap. The eastern side of the Riverfront is ripe for the taking as well.
Listen a grocery store on market, plus new apartments being built along with the current ones being full is excellent news.

its only a matter of time before Philly developers start walking down the street.

Two things ive noticed Wilmington has been doing

1. More store fronts and businesses.
2.Filling vaccines and restoring buildings.

I think philly developers will start coming in when the office vaccines are basically 0.

Then they will start hitting up some one of those parking lots in the city if you Get my drift.

I also see a lot of people in the Wilmington subreddit saying they are moving to Wilmington, I see it every week so that means people are starting to hear better things about Wilmington which is good but always in their post they ask about the crime "because they heard something" I wish downtown visions would expand and go a little further not only should downtown visions be for the CC but they should be for the people as well, help everyone feel safe.

in other news in Wilmington on N Market by the N dollar general plans were just approved to build a elderly living home and a 4 store building with a lounge on the top with stores at street level, this will be destroying the old buildings right to the left of the dollar general on N market, right in plans with the Brandywine riverfront redevelopment I posted, (and right down the block from my new crib )

On Maryland ave at there NVF factory council has passed the apartment building with stores on the bottom on to the next. it will be 4 stories and they will be using part of the old NVF building.

all the meetings are available on the WITN YouTube if anyone is interested.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 5:18 PM
Me?!?

An informative article/maps:

https://www.timesherald.com/news/mon...0236f5ae1.html

https://www.timesherald.com/news/mon...8be7e9321.html

More housing was built in Montgomery County last year than at any time in the last 15 years.

That's according to the annual analysis published by the Montgomery County Planning Commission.

All total, more than 2,900 new housing units were constructed in 2019, representing a $356 million addition to the county tax base.

And multi-family units continue to be the major driver. Last year is the second consecutive year in which nearly 1,500 new multi-family housing units were constructed.

"The densest housing types, attached and multifamily, accounted for 78 percent of all units built in the county in 2019," according to the report.

Also on the rise is the construction of age-restricted housing, 66 percent of which was single-family detached.

In fact, for the first time in three years, the market saw an increase in single-family detached homes being built, according to the planning commission analysis.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 4:10 AM

Norristown approves Montgomery County Justice Center development

Quote:
NORRISTOWN — After getting caught up to speed on the Montgomery County Justice Center project’s progress, members of the Norristown Municipal Council gave their blessing by approving a resolution for land development, Thursday.

Representatives from Montgomery County and Skidmore Owings & Merrill were present during Tuesday night’s council meeting where they gave a presentation and entertained questions and comments from elected officials.

County officials wanted to then build a 288,365-gross-square-foot justice center, an underground parking garage complete with 75 spaces “with ingress/egress along Main Street” as well as constructing landscaping areas, retaining walls, memorial areas, and lighting, according to the Aug. 18 work session agenda packet. Renovations were also proposed for the current courthouse and annex and Hancock Square.
Read more here:
https://www.timesherald.com/news/nor...736ab6aff.html

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 9:30 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Norristown approves Montgomery County Justice Center development

Read more here:
https://www.timesherald.com/news/nor...736ab6aff.html
See post #3797 But yes I like this plan and think that it is a welcome addition.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 8:38 PM

Wilmington - a few more updates

The Amazon Fulfillment Center project just south of Wilmington is flying now, this building is gigantic. The photos don't really do it justice, looks like a NASCAR stadium.

Incyte Pharma - building #3 - lab/office/parking - has topped out. I should add that Incyte acquired even more land from the Friends School right next to this site, they just keep expanding. Shame the City couldn't get them downtown or on the Riverfront.

Buccini Pollin Group's (BPG) North Wilmington (Silverside Rd/Concord Pike) mixed-use complex continues to expand - 3 buildings are already complete (the residential and restaurant and retail portion). Residential building #4 is now u/c, and a new office complex has also started - building #5.

Wilmington's largest track/football/soccer stadium is nearly completed - the redo of Baynard Stadium (home of Salesianium School) - now to be called Abessinio Stadium. 5,000 seater. There were rumors locally that a USL (minor league for the MLS) team would be calling this new stadium home. We shall see...

Last edited by Jawnadelphia; Sep 12, 2020 at 11:35 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 4:16 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
The Amazon Fulfillment Center project just south of Wilmington is flying now, this building is gigantic. The photos don't really do it justice, looks like a NASCAR stadium.

Incyte Pharma - building #3 - lab/office/parking - has topped out. I should add that Incyte acquired even more land from the Friends School right next to this site, they just keep expanding. Shame the City couldn't get them downtown or on the Riverfront.

Buccini Pollin Group's (BPG) North Wilmington (Silverside Rd/Concord Pike) mixed-use complex continues to expand - 3 buildings are already complete (the residential and restaurant and retail portion). Residential building #4 is now u/c, and a new office complex has also started - building #5.

Wilmington's largest track/football/soccer stadium is nearly completed - the redo of Baynard Stadium (home of Salesianium School) - now to be called Abessinio Stadium. 5,000 seater. There were rumors locally that a USL (minor league for the MLS) team would be calling this new stadium home. We shall see...

Are you in the construction field Jawn? you are really close up on that Amazon building looks like your inside the gates lol & yes it is huge it's gonna provide so many jobs and a boost to businesses.

Glad to see a lot of construction projects taking place, I wouldn't stress incyte not coming in the city, if Wilmington can expand its borders, which im sure it will do now that it is growing it will be apart of it.

have you checked out Market st/Downtown at night, Oh my god its a different place, I saw in the council agenda they are allowing businesses to stay open till 12 compared to 10, a good start but they should really push for 2 am.

Also I noticed buildings lighting their tops up different colors at night now, past 2 days have been green matching Phillies scrapers, what did the green stand for now?

Im hoping more buildings will join in and add some lights to the tops.

Also check out the 7th st peninsula the "Pinebox" Has been quietly under construction over there, it is a recording studio/studio for shows, movies and etc.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 1:01 AM

Hotel du Pont - Wilmington

It's been a very exciting month or so for the First State's most iconic hotel and maybe building - Hotel du Pont. Biden/Harris essentially took over the Hotel from the announcement of VP Harris thru the DNC on the Riverfront. Harris stayed at the hotel for a lot of those days. Secret Service was all over downtown, it certainly brought a new energy to the area!

I totally forgot that BPG (who owns the building now) has been converting some of the office space into luxury apartments, and those units are now leasing - it is being marketed as - 101 dupont place. Living at the Hotel du Pont... interesting.

https://101dupontplace.com/the-dupon...in-four-walls/

On the ground floor, acclaimed Philly chef Tyler Akin took over the Hotel's historic Green Room, and has now opened a "modern French brasserie" with some modest renovations to the dining space -- the new restaurant is called, Le Cavalier at the Green Room.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEH382rFP6e/

And finally, the food hall/bar, DE.CO also on the ground floor, that opened last year - has survived covid! and re-opened yesterday. Very happy about that.

so...lots happening at the old, 107 years old Gilded Age palace.

Last edited by Jawnadelphia; Sep 16, 2020 at 1:48 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 7:42 AM

I am dying to try The Green Room. The restaurant oozes Gilded Age opulence!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 4:13 PM

Chester unveils long-awaited master plan for waterfront

This looks amazing - hope it happens! Chester deserves it. Who can read this? Locked behind a paywall. A couple renderings in the link too though.

Link to article:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...aterfront.html

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Chester unveils long-awaited master plan for waterfront

This looks amazing - hope it happens! Chester deserves it. Who can read this? Locked behind a paywall. A couple renderings in the link too though.

Link to article:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...aterfront.html
Here you go

Quote:
For more than two decades, Chester has been eager to revitalize its waterfront along the Delaware River as part of a bigger plan to help the beleaguered Delaware County community but has little to show for those efforts. Officials are now hoping that will soon change.

The Riverfront Alliance of Delaware County unveiled on Tuesday a master plan for roughly 100 acres surrounding Subaru Park, which is a soccer stadium for the Philadelphia Union, and the neighboring Wharf building. The area covered by the plan stretches from Highland Avenue to Norris Street.

"Many cities would kill to have this," said Tom Shoemaker, Pennsylvania president for TD Bank and chair of the Riverfront Alliance about the riverfront and park. "This plan is just the first step along the way."

The multi-phased plan sets out several goals the community wants to accomplish and seeks to tie together different areas, including the city of Chester, and uses to make it one cohesive waterfront. Not unlike Penn’s Landing up the river in Philadelphia, the idea is to create a year-round destination for tourists and locals, build an economic engine for Chester and spur additional private investment.

Some of the plan’s priorities include:
  • Improving public transit, cycling and pedestrian infrastructure along Route 291 as part of extending an East Coast Greenway through the city;
  • Enhancing Barry Bridge Park and the riverwalk trail and developing new public spaces along the waterfront for retail, boating and recreation;
  • Mitigating the impacts of climate change and rising sea levels through stormwater management and the development of natural landscapes, shading and increased plantings along streets and walkways;
  • Leveraging investment from both local and outside resources; and
  • Improving the public perception of the city.

Among the first projects that will get underway are road improvements to Route 291, Reaney and Engle streets, the design of a riverfront park and a public art program. It is hoped that once some of the public investments and improvements have been made, private investment of new office, retail and hospitality as well as sports and entertainment facilities will eventually follow.

The proposals includes a multi-sports facility, an indoor and outdoor concert venue, relocating a SEPTA rail station and leveraging Subaru Park, which was previously known as PPL Park when its opened in June 2010. It was at one point named Talen Energy Stadium.

The Riverfront Alliance was established in 1996, as the Institute for Economic Development by a consortium of private-sector corporations and nonprofit institutions to develop and implement programs and activities that could serve as the catalyst for the "physical, economic, and social development" of Delaware County waterfront communities. The group changed its name to the Riverfront Alliance of Delaware County in 2014.

Last November, the organization announced that in partnership with Union parent company Keystone Sports and Entertainment and the City of Chester it had selected a firm to oversee the master planning process. It picked NBBJ, an architecture and urban planning firm with expertise in waterfront planning. It has been involved in projects in Boston, Pittsburgh, Seattle and Vancouver, Washington.

The soccer stadium was intended to be one piece of a bigger $500 million development for the Chester riverfront that had originally been planned and would have included townhouses, apartments, retail space, a convention center, office space and structured parking.

With the exception of the soccer stadium, none of the other components of the plan ever materialized and the Great Recession has been blamed for the lack of progress.

"Pandemic aside, I think the stars are all aligning here for the first time," said Jerry Miller, who also sits on the Riverfront Alliance board. There's a renewed collaboration among local and state government, the business sector and community to move the waterfront forward, he said.

About half of the 100 acres is owned or controlled by Keystone Sports and Entertainment, which has spent the past few years acquiring about a mile of waterfront property around its stadium.

"A year ago, I said I thought we needed a vision and I feel like we finally have that," said Tim McDermott of the Philadelphia Union. "This is just the beginning. The real work now begins."

Funding for the master plan was provided in part by a $180,000 grant from the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development as well as support from the Philadelphia Union, M&T Charitable Foundation, the Chester Economic Development Authority and the Chester Redevelopment Authority.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 12:02 AM

^^Thanks! Sounds promising

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 12:03 AM

Camden Hilton Garden Inn

Looks like it's wrapping up per recent photos from Intech Construction here:
https://www.intechconstruction.com/p...ton-garden-inn

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 12:53 AM
Chris

Quote:
Camden Hilton Garden Inn

Looks like it's wrapping up per recent photos from Intech Construction here:
https://www.intechconstruction.com/p...ton-garden-inn
Is there a planned building to complete the L-shape and to hide those blank walls?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Is there a planned building to complete the L-shape and to hide those blank walls?
Yes, I believe the master plan had a highrise there.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 1:21 AM

Towamencin Village - Lansdale

Quote:
Details
Size: 478,900 SF, 1,389 cars, 125 units, 200 key hotel
Cost: TBD
Completion: TBD

Towamencin Village is a new live, work play development in the heart of Montgomery County. It builds upon the success of adjacent mixed use development by PSDC by adding a true town center that turns the existing development into an active 24/7 walkable community. Located within a cluster of affluent suburbs with a population of 134,000 within a 5 mile radius, it is located just off the Lansdale interchange of the Northeast Extension of the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Towamencin Village is readily accessible to Philadelphia as well as communities up and down the turnpike.
Read more here:
https://myarchitecture.build/project...encin-village/

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 1:32 AM

New Medical Office Building - King of Prussia

Wedged between Hanover Towne Center and the new 11-story senior living building in the King of Prussia Towne Center, on Guthrie Road.

Quote:
Details
Size: 51,500 sf total
Cost: TBD
Completion: TBD

Occupying the last available site in a suburban master planned development, this proposed medical office building makes effective and efficient use of an awkward left-over parcel.

A precast parking garage for 263 cars is effectively hidden from view at the back of the site, surrounded by other development. The five story, 51,000 square foot building has a trapezoidal plan that maximizes office space by projecting the upper floors over the entry drive below, simultaneously creating a covered drop-off. A cost-effective window wall of metal and glass wraps the segmented and angled sections of the building in a uniform, contemporary skin.
Link:
https://myarchitecture.build/project...fice-building/

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 1:35 AM

Victor Records Building and Addition - Camden, NJ

Quote:
Millennial Partners has been awarded the right to redevelop the historic structure that was originally constructed as the executive offices of the RCA Victor manufacturing complex on the shore of the Delaware River in Camden. Now it is one of only three buildings that are left of this mammoth industrial complex.

The historic structure has been poorly treated for years and will now be renovated back to the condition it deserves. The top floor auditiorium and the 7th floor exectuive suite will be restored. Most floors will be rented as office space, the original use. Music related uses are under consideration. Available land to the north, alongside historic Johnson Park with its fine Cooper Library, will be developed for office use, to be constructed in two phases. The first phase will be a 50,000 sf addition. The second will be a 26 story office tower. This tower will join the new construction currently underway along the river bank to be a stunning marker of the resurgence of Camden, NJ.
https://myarchitecture.build/project...-and-addition/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations