HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 7:37 PM

Wow this is amazing.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 6:13 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 6:23 PM

They already took that into account. Just look at post 14 on the previous page.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 3:35 PM

Yup!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 2:03 AM
New Yorker for life

Interesting article about various "ideas" on redeveloping the city, the Red Hook plan among them...

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...lion-residents

12 firms envision ways for New York to absorb 9 million residents
The city has not completed projects on the scale of Robert Moses since his tenure. It's time for New York to think big again

October 30, 2016

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 4:09 PM
New Yorker for life

http://ny.curbed.com/2016/10/28/1345...ty-alternative

Red Hook community proposes alternative to enormous megaproject

BY TANAY WARERKAR
OCT 28, 2016

Quote:
Just over a month after AECOM presented a proposal to transform Red Hook with a project that would be twice the size of Hudson Yards, local residents have come forward with a more focused, comparatively conservative proposition, DNAinfo reports.

...This proposal is in the early planning stages, and Washburn told DNAinfo that he hopes to continue working with the Red Hook community in the coming months to create a more concrete plan. The city on its part presented three tentative plans last month to secure Red Hook from future floods.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 5:11 PM

I can already envision the community plan - it will be the existing community surrounded by a giant park so no further development can take place. I wish we (SkyscraperPage) could submit a plan.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 10:36 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

There's a lot of potential in a project or grand vision like this. I hope they see the right choice, and go with it or at least modify it to the point that there is a lot of units with an emphasis on transit improvements. What the city needs are more units! A plan like this thinks ahead. Two things IMO that NY needs more of. More affordable housing, and more transit overhauls. Unfortunately, transit is the limiting reagent in this equation that is NYC. When transit becomes overloaded and overcapacity, it drags everything with it.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
^^^^

...Unfortunately, transit is the limiting reagent in this equation that is NYC. When transit becomes overloaded and overcapacity, it drags everything with it.
I agree. But this begs the question, what is the point of proposals/visions like this if they don't address how they plan to pay for the transit improvements which would make their proposals possible? It's the equivalent to saying, I know how to add 500,000 new homes to New York, build a dozen new subway lines in the outer boroughs and up zone!

These firms should be hired to think of new ways to fund mass transit (infrastructure banks?), or maybe work on designing 21st century elevated subways, like shown in the rendering, that aren't noisy, won't cut off the streets from sunlight, and are cheaper than subways, not just putting high-rises in areas of the city where none exist and say problem solved.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 1:56 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I'm sure the mechanism of paying for the project will come down the line, but this, like Hudson Yards or Sunny side yards start/started out as a vision, and overtime, the pieces come together (as seen with HY). Granted I don't think the housing addition will be the issue, but transit, because it starts to get very bureaucratic and once the unions are involved, costs and time skyrocket. I think for a 21st Century NY, the city has to take risks. Robert Moses type risks that plan ahead. Think 50-60 years down the line. But I also think the federal government needs to get involved. Not just for NY, but for every city in the U.S.. The money is there, but the allocation of it is messed up.

We are kinda seeing the bureaucratic side impact Sunnyside Yards right now. This, like Sunnyside, will probably go through years of political bs before the real soft cost work starts. The frame work which will lead to construction in other words.

I hope I'm wrong on the delays though. Just speculation. I'd love for something like this to move quick like HY did, which mega project wise, moved relatively quickly for phase I.

Speaking of elevated rail, that would be cool, but I think the noise factor would cause an uproar. Although it could be done. Something smaller on the scale of lets say All Aboard Florida (or Miami Central type rail) could work. Would add a new dynamic to the red hook area.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I'm sure the mechanism of paying for the project will come down the line...
I just don't think this is an assumption one can make, especially with the Federal government incapable of doing anything productive. And I doubt there's a transit agency in the region that doesn't have a wish list of 25 items.

I dragged this off topic, but my general point is there's no harm in asking these creative agencies to come up with creative ways to pay for what they're proposing. Otherwise you just end up with renderings of huge buildings in neighborhoods that don't have the infrastructure to support them, and anyone can do that.

Last edited by yankeesfan1000; Nov 2, 2016 at 10:46 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 9:24 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^^

I personally wish we had a nationalistic spirit in this country (like the 40's and 50's). What NY needs, and every city really, are 5 year plans (and aggressively pursued).

But I share your frustration. Its sad. We don't think big anymore.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2016, 3:54 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

421a is coming back, and might make this ultimately become a reality. In some scope of magnitude. With tax breaks for developers, it will make the affordable component much more likely. This dwarfs Atlantic Yards, So I'd expect the opposition to be great. I just hope it doesn't result in a nasty legal fight like Atlantic Yards.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 5:43 PM
New Yorker for life

http://rew-online.com/2016/11/25/chr...redevelopment/

Chris Ward wants to make Red Hook a model for urban redevelopment

BY REW • NOVEMBER 25, 2016

Quote:
Inside a New York University building within the MetroTech complex of Downtown Brooklyn last week, Chris Ward of engineering, design and construction firm AECOM, presented his company’s ambitious vision for Southwest Brooklyn.

The event was hosted by the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce, and it drew a packed room. Ward, who previously headed up the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, used renderings, visuals, and statistics to make the case for a $3.5 billion transformation of Red Hook and the Columbia Waterfront District.

“There’s no other site like this,” Ward told the audience. “Hudson Yards is miniscule compared to Southwest Brooklyn.”

The Hudson Yards site on the far west side of Manhattan covers 28 acres. Aecom’s Southwest Brooklyn vision, which includes Red Hook and the Columbia Waterfront District, covers 246 acres, about eight times the size of Hudson Yards.

The first page of a handbook passed out to attendees contains one sentence: “The history of New York is not the preservation of the environment but the construction of a better environment.”

The second page asks: “What do you want your city to be?”

The rest of the booklet contains detailed information on AECOM’s vision and statistics ranging from median income and ethnicity demographics, to cost-benefit analysis pie charts.

AECOM’s idea for Southwest Brooklyn calls for extending the 1 train to Red Hook and adding two separate stations, adding high-rise development with an interconnected park system, and two new schools, adding affordable housing, streetscape improvement, and an accessible and more resilient waterfront.

The vision calls for up to 45,000 units of housing to be built, to a total of 45 million square feet.

Ward was careful to point out during the presentation that the “framework” he was presenting was just “a set of ideas,” and not any kind of official “proposal.”

AECOM raised eyebrows when it first revealed its ambitious idea for Red Hook and Southwest Brooklyn back in September at a similar event also held at an NYU building.

It generated some healthy skepticism, with one story covering the event headlined: “Construction Giant Wants To Turn Red Hook Into A Fantasyland With Subway Service.”

But in a city with a serious housing crisis, more than 50 percent of residents rent-burdened, and a need for more jobs to match the population growth that is expected to add one million new residents in the next 25 years, Ward argued that a vision this grand is necessary.

“One of the main things we were focusing on when looking at this and thinking about the fabric of the city, is that no development leads to gentrification,” said Ward.

“That seems counter-intuitive, but if you look at San Francisco and how they ended up approaching their need to maintain the character of their neighborhoods, and by freezing zoning in a particular static way, what it does is drive up housing prices to a level that only the wealthy can afford…and that is gentrification at its worst.”

Ward talked about the importance of development with context, pointing out that in areas like Williamsburg, the development that has taken place there has been without context — not enough schools, streetscapes, green space — and the community isn’t a “democratic integrated community.”

“Do we want that same kind of development to go south?” he said. He argued that more development in Red Hook is inevitable, but if done right, it can have a positive effect on the community.

“We need to do something, because If we don’t do something, something else that might not have the positive outcomes that we all want, might well happen,” said Ward.

Anthony Vitale is an agent with Citi Habitats, and while he lives in Carroll Gardens, he has spent a lot of time in Red Hook over the years, and has been renting a commercial space on Van Brunt Street since 2012.

He believes that residents of Red Hook would not be welcoming if the city gave the go-ahead for a vision like Aecom’s.

“People who live in Red Hook don’t want the change, they want it to stay the same because the prices are low,” said Vitale. “It’s actually scaring the residents that live there now.”

The one big glaring problem with Red Hook is the transportation issue, which is one of the main reasons it hasn’t experienced more development, said Vitale.

“It’s just not enough for the amount of people living there already,” said Vitale of the available mass transit in the neighborhood.

“In order for something to happen dramatically here, there needs to be a train station. If that happens, it will be just as big if not bigger than Williamsburg.”

While Red Hook now has a Citi Bike station, which has led to an increase in foot traffic during the summer months, in the winter, Vitale has noticed that many restaurateurs only open their doors two days a week, and he blames the lack of transit.

“If something like thi s[AECOM’s idea] was to go down, a lot more people would start investing in Red Hook,” said Vitale. “We deal with a bunch of small landlords sitting on property waiting for that to happen.”

While Ward emphasized in his presentation that “smart development,” that which takes the community and context into account, is the best way to stop gentrification, Vitale believes it’s too late to be worrying about that.

“Red Hook is past the gentrification process,” said Vitale. “It’s gentrified already.”

He pointed to the number of big-name companies that have planted flags in Red Hook, including the new Tesla outpost on Hamilton and Van Brunt Streets.

Ward told the audience that AECOM has discussed the plan with Mayor de Blasio’s administration, but didn’t ask for an endorsement from them, instead asked for long-term co-operation to continue talking about the vision.

“Clearly, the city must be engaged, but what’s hard right now is the city and state need to be engaged, which so far hasn’t been going great,” said Ward.

“Perhaps with the change in Washington Democrats will see common cause for the city and work co-operatively. It’s all going to require leadership from the state.”

Using public-private partnerships will be “required” for the project to succeed, said Ward, who said it wouldn’t be unheard of to attract private equity investment in a subway tunnel.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 5:53 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

eeegads that station looks like another south ferry after sandy waiting to happen.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 12:17 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

From the article that nyguy posted:

Quote:
But in a city with a serious housing crisis, more than 50 percent of residents rent-burdened, and a need for more jobs to match the population growth that is expected to add one million new residents in the next 25 years, Ward argued that a vision this grand is necessary.
This 100% is the discourse that NYC needs to take. We need visions and grand plans. Now I'm not talking about wacky ideas like you see in other countries where they build cities of 200k in the desert, but we need housing and transit visions that will get the gears moving, ideas flowing, and the cranes moving. And ones that are realistic.

Housing for all, and not just housing for the rich. I don't want NYC to become a SF. Where residents are pushed out. We will always have gentrification, and pricey neighborhood, but now is the time to think much bigger and to provide sane cost housing to the masses of both existing and future residents. Both young and old.

I think a vision like this can happen. Its not unrealistic. Will it change neighborhoods, of course. Will it alter traffic, of course. But all of those things can be improved through engineering and planning.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 6:01 PM
New Yorker for life

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/6/15/1580...al-development

Red Hook Container Terminal could be ripe for redevelopment, says Port Authority chairman
The debatable idea is back up for discussion

BY AMEENA WALKER
JUN 15, 2017

Quote:
Could the Red Hook Container Terminal eventually be redeveloped? That’s a question that was raised this week, as Port Authority chairman John Degnan revealed that he is open to selling the 80-acre shipyard. During the Crain’s 2017 Real Estate Conference, he brought up the idea, noting that, “I know there are political difficulties in the state and city of New York to doing it, but the Port Authority would be enormously benefited.”

Local officials, however, aren’t so enthralled with the idea; Brooklyn congressman Jerry Nadler has argued that the terminal provides much-needed jobs while also boosting the city and the state environmentally by allowing cargo to land in Red Hook via ship and not by truck.

This is hardly the first time that a sale of the Container Terminal has been proposed: Back in 2011, former Port Authority executive director Chris Ward also proposed developing the terminal, stating that shipping containers have no place in Red Hook. The Citizens Budget Commission has also recommended selling the money-losing terminal, and just last year, AECOM proposed building a enormous megaproject, with more than 45,000 apartments and a subway extension, on the site.

But things are far from set in stone. A Port Authority spokesman told Crain’s that the agency is currently preparing a 30-year-master plan that will be released during the first quarter of 2018 and will detail ways to “optimize land utilization... and enhance revenue opportunities.” The plan will make recommendations for the best uses of the site, which could potentially involve putting it up for sale.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 7:51 PM

They need to extend a subway line into Red Hook in order for it to develop into another skyline.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 2:24 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
They need to extend a subway line into Red Hook in order for it to develop into another skyline.
Part of the initial proposal, but that would need the backing of the governor, since the subway is controlled by the state...

Quote:
Under the preliminary plan, proceeds from the sale or long-term lease of the land to developers, as well as other funds generated from revenue streams such as real estate taxes, would go toward upgrading the neighborhood's infrastructure, which includes extending the No. 1 train from lower Manhattan via a new tunnel under the harbor to the Brooklyn area.

AECOM's plan also involves creating three new subway stations, one at Atlantic Basin next to the container terminal, another at the Red Hook Houses, one of Brooklyn's largest public-housing complexes, and a No. 1 train station that would connect to the F and G subway lines at Fourth Avenue.

In the meantime, the mayor's BQX proposal is moving forward...

http://weheartastoria.com/2016/01/th...ved-yet-again/

http://www.bjhadvisors.com/projects/...bility-2014-16

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories...-01-13-bk.html

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 4:36 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Partners prepare to reactivate terminal

Quote:
Red Hook Terminals, a terminal, operator, stevedore and Cross Harbor Barge Operator, joined federal, state and local elected officials, as well as representatives from Industry City and the New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC) May 11 to unveil the recently announced Sustainable South Brooklyn Marine Terminal (SSBMT) partnership and tour the site.

On May 9, NYCEDC announced plans to award a long-term lease of the South Brooklyn Marine Terminal (SBMT) to Red Hook Terminals and Industry City. The partnership will transform 65 acres at SBMT into a cluster of industrial maritime activity.

“The South Brooklyn Marine Terminal is a critical infrastructure and economic asset to the City of New York and the partnership achieved thanks to the stakeholders assembled here today will bring the site to its full potential,” said Mike Stamatis, President and CEO of Red Hook Terminals, at the event.

“The reactivation of the terminal will bring hundreds of new jobs to and promote green infrastructure in Sunset Park, while bolstering maritime activity along the Brooklyn waterfront where the sector has generated economic opportunity for generations.”

Elected officials in attendance at the event Friday included U.S. Representative Jerry Nadler, U.S. Representative Nydia Velázquez, Council Member Carlos Menchaca and a representative from Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams office. Additionally, NYCEDC President and CEO James Patchett, the Sunset Park Waterfront Taskforce and representatives from ILA Longshoreman participated in the event.

With a long-term lease through 2054, SSBMT will reactivate 64.5 acres of the terminal, moving over 900,000 metric tons of material annually through the port and eliminating over 11,000 truck trips a year.
======================
http://rew-online.com/2018/05/17/par...vate-terminal/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals