HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 8:40 PM

Most likely some kinda of fee placed on the buildings around Pershing. That's how the last design got money. I think they stand to benefit a lot from it.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 8:59 PM
BikeMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
My post was educated speculation. I'll bring it back up in 6 months when we've heard nothing from Apple or The Tower.
Where are all the posts from 8 months ago about how the cycle is ending and no more buildings are going to be built?? Are you gonna bump those up?

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 9:35 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Very pleased to hear that Agence Ter's proposal was chosen! The other three were overdesigned in my opinion, and likely more expensive as well. I just want a simple, clean design that resembles a classic urban park.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 9:44 PM

I don't know why anyone on this board should be the one to figure out where the money is going to come from for PS Renew. If the city and local developers want to make it happen, they'll find a way. This is by no means as daunting as, say, the freeway cap park. I, for my part, am enthusiastic about the design chosen and would be happy to see it become a reality.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
My post was educated speculation. I'll bring it back up in 6 months when we've heard nothing from Apple or The Tower.

...I mean really, has nobody paid attention to Apples retail strategy the last decade? They've never pioneered even 1/2 this hard. You think Apple is going across the street from check cashing & jewelry joints and next door to an unfinished project with unsightly scaffolding!? The gullibility of some people is amazing.

And now the thread steers into new fictitious territory by focusing on a Pershing Square redesign that has no path to funding. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I would love to see this happen.
Hunter,
I'm sorry to have to say this but you are being defensive of my statement and question by clumsily changing the subject. Forget the park for now and let's stay on the topic of Apple for a moment. I think the fact is you have NOTHING to support your earlier statement about Apple. And as far as your speculation (again) about their PR moves, what on earth would they gain by a "fake planted story" about the location of a new store in Los Angeles. That is completely ludicrous, and you must know that. Also, if my memory serves me correctly, the tower theater is across the street from the now being renovated old May Co. building, and what look like some very nice stores across 6th street. When considering the old May Co., are the developers, Waterbridge Capital, complete fools about their investments? My impression was that they are quite successful and have turned around the distressed neighborhoods where they have invested. In fact, who knows they may be quietly buying properties along Broadway as future investments. That, in my opinion would be the smart thing to do.
When Apple moves in (notice I said when) the surrounding buildings will soon start to be renovated. As I've said in this forum before, the revitalization of Broadway will be incremental probably moving from block to block north to the Civic Canter. Or maybe, just maybe, like Apple the Waterbridge project and the Old May Co. are both just big PR "fake outs." The scaffolding around the building is just a Hollywood prop to fool the eye. The reality is that Waterbridge is actually building a project in Long Beach, and Apple is opening a store in Santa Monica. And Broadway will forever be a street of Jewelry joints, check cashing places, pawn shops, swapmeet stores,....you name it.

Last edited by Wilcal; May 13, 2016 at 3:46 AM.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 10:49 PM
Paramoderator

Agence TER was my favorite proposal, happy to see it be the winner.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 12:18 AM

Regarding the possibility of Apple moving to 8th and Broadway...I have to say who ever thought that Whole Foods would open up where they did? That was the biggest dead zone. Who would have thought Ralph's would have been successful at 9th and Flower? And the Ace Hotel? And the Standard Hotel? I remember when they opened and people thought it was amazing to have a boutique hotel in DTLA. And the success of the Arts District? And Equinox? Anyhow, another 15,000 residents will soon be moving in. Nothing about Downtown surprises me. Yep, we have problems but it is getting to be a very interesting and exciting place to be. Apple at the Tower Theatre is no surprise. The demographics are changing .

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 12:35 AM
:o

Guys, stop discussing Pershing Square on this Downtown LA discussion board.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
Hunter,
I'm sorry to have to say this but you are being defensive of my statement and question by clumsily changing the subject. Forget the park for now and let's stay on the topic of Apple for a moment. I think the fact is you have NOTHING to support your earlier statement about Apple. And as far as your speculation (again) about their PR moves, what on earth would they gain by a "fake planted story" about the location of a new store in Los Angeles. That is completely ludicrous, and you must know that. Also, if my memory serves me correctly, the tower theater is across the street from the now being renovated old May Co. building, and what look like some very nice stores across 6th street. When considering the old May Co., are the developers, Waterbridge Capital, complete fools about their investments? My impression was that they are quite successful and have turned around the distressed neighborhoods where they have invested. In fact, who knows they may be quietly buying properties along Broadway as future investments. That in my opinion would be the smart thing to do.
When Apple moves in (notice I said when) the surrounding buildings will soon start to be renovated. As I've said in this forum before, the revitalization of Broadway will be incremental probably moving from block to block north to the Civic Canter. Or maybe, just maybe, like Apple the Waterbridge project and the Old May Co. are both just big PR "fake outs." The scaffolding around the building is just a Hollywood prop to fool the eye. The reality is that Waterbridge is actually building a project in Long Beach, and Apple is opening a store in Santa Monica. And Broadway will forever be a street of Jewelry joints, check cashing places, pawn shops, swapmeet stores,....you name it.
Good chance that Apple will move to Downtown and that Hunter is wrong again, but to his defense, we have this rumor since 2014 (maybe longer). Same Location, same story. There were also rumors about 5th and Broadway..

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 2:48 AM
Paramoderator

In all honesty, I'm really growing on 5-OH's design. Looking at the details of the newest rendering, the materials and pedestrian interaction look very nice. Sure, it's no Park 5th, but in terms of 22 story high rises, the proposal could have been a lot worse. Combined with the neighborhood transforming Pershing Square re-design, the area is going to look amazing. Maybe residing in New York has made me more open to proposals like this. The East Village, where I live, and much of downtown NY, is mainly low rise buildings, with few high rises scattered around. I think these areas are the most interest in lively of all of Manhattan. Downtown and Midtown, where most of the high rises are congregated, are places me and my friends actively avoid. Sure, high rises may look better from afar, and may excite some of us on this board, but they do not necessarily mean a more lively or engaging neighborhood. Hell, look at Metropolis. Huge, glassy, full of skyscrapers, and filled with curb cuts, drive ways, and imposing, grand-scale retail storefronts. I doubt the area around that project is going to transform in to a pedestrian wonderland. It'll look good in photographs, sure, but will it really contribute to the livability of DTLA?

Concerning the Apple store, there is no reason to call anyone out. Time will prove the rumors to be right or wrong. Any opinions on here have no bearing on the reality of the situation, so sit back, be happy that downtown is making such rapid progress, and see what ends up happening.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
Good chance that Apple will move to Downtown and that Hunter is wrong again, but to his defense, we have this rumor since 2014 (maybe longer). Same Location, same story. There were also rumors about 5th and Broadway..
Apple is coming downtown. Just not this year, or to Historic Core.

People really need to practice their English reading skills around here and quit misrepresenting what I'm saying.

Apple at The Bloc or Oceanwide makes sense and is a move they would do.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 3:04 AM

Why couldn't downtown have a standalone as well as a store at the Bloc or Oceanwide?

Manhattan has 7 Apple stores in a 20 square mile area.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Why couldn't downtown have a standalone as well as a store at the Bloc or Oceanwide?

Manhattan has 7 Apple stores in a 20 square mile area.
We can't be compared to Manhattan. Their daytime population of 4,000,000 while ours is 250,000.

So by this logic we should have 7% the amount of Apple stores as Manhattan, which would be 1/2 an Apple Store.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 3:16 AM

Quote:

People really need to practice their English reading skills around here and quit misrepresenting what I'm saying.

Like you wrote before, let's bring this up in 6 month or the end of the year.

Nothing is official, as for myself.. I don't see the need to discus that any further, not without new informations.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 3:30 AM

Quote:
We can't be compared to Manhattan. Their daytime population of 4,000,000 while ours is 250,000.

So by this logic we should have 7% the amount of Apple stores as Manhattan, which would be 1/2 an Apple Store.
Well yes, of course the two can't be compared. But given the fact, I don't think it would be absolutely unheard of, yet you and another poster made it seem like it HAD to be one or the other.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
In all honesty, I'm really growing on 5-OH's design. Looking at the details of the newest rendering, the materials and pedestrian interaction look very nice. Sure, it's no Park 5th, but in terms of 22 story high rises, the proposal could have been a lot worse. Combined with the neighborhood transforming Pershing Square re-design, the area is going to look amazing. Maybe residing in New York has made me more open to proposals like this. The East Village, where I live, and much of downtown NY, is mainly low rise buildings, with few high rises scattered around. I think these areas are the most interest in lively of all of Manhattan. Downtown and Midtown, where most of the high rises are congregated, are places me and my friends actively avoid. Sure, high rises may look better from afar, and may excite some of us on this board, but they do not necessarily mean a more lively or engaging neighborhood. Hell, look at Metropolis. Huge, glassy, full of skyscrapers, and filled with curb cuts, drive ways, and imposing, grand-scale retail storefronts. I doubt the area around that project is going to transform in to a pedestrian wonderland. It'll look good in photographs, sure, but will it really contribute to the livability of DTLA?

Concerning the Apple store, there is no reason to call anyone out. Time will prove the rumors to be right or wrong. Any opinions on here have no bearing on the reality of the situation, so sit back, be happy that downtown is making such rapid progress, and see what ends up happening.
Sure, but short buildings are no promise of pedestrian paradise either--take for example, 8th and Grand

The pedestrian experience is wholly dependent on how much the developer pays credence to it, and how much the community pushes for it; regardless of 7 stories or 77.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 4:08 AM

Quote:

This will be the last comment from me regarding this subject. Perhaps I was a bit too strident in the last part of my post, I'm sorry Hunter. However, you are quite the master of changing (or misrepresenting) subjects (and locations). My post concerned your comment about the possibility of Apple locating to the Tower Theater, not the Bloc or Oceanwide, and you know it. Incidentally, my English reading skills are very, good thank you. Hunter, you are a very good technical photographer and I like the photos that you submit to this forum, and you have my thanks. But among the other contributors of photographs to this forum, my special thank-you goes to cesar90 in that he is a real artist with this photography.

Last edited by Wilcal; May 13, 2016 at 4:46 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 4:25 AM

Quote:
And now the thread steers into new fictitious territory by focusing on a Pershing Square redesign that has no path to funding.
Jesus, Hunter. It's a slow news day. God Forbid we talk about potential plans on a urban development messageboard. It's not like we're spending huge amounts of energy or money to appreciate/discuss different concepts regarding parkspace in DTLA.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 4:26 AM

I thought DTLA's daytime was twice that. 500,000

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 5:09 AM

I'm not going to take sides here but I won't believe the Apple story until we get a statement from them themselves. Any deal can fall through no matter the circumstances.

I can say American Apparel is opening up at the State Theater, claim I have a reputable source and let the whole situation unfold..

Take the Apple news with a grain of salt because we've had these rumors since 2014 and we don't have official confirmation. Just rumors. If they come I will scream Thank you to the heavens. It would literally change the entire corridor. Retailer after retailer would take notice and immediately move to Broadway, but until the day we are absolutely certain, I won't cheer, not yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations