HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Verdun is the only part of urban Montreal I have left to visit. It's funny - when I explored Montreal a lot more 10-15 years ago, my impression was that gentrification/hipsterdom would spread east and north from the Plateau outwards.

The general trajectory seemed to go Plateau (the OG neighbourhood) > Mile End > Little Italy > Rosemont > Villeray

So my next expectation would have been that it would have jumped the Met north and moved over to Hoch-Mais before attempting a Napoleonic expedition to conquer the vast hinterlands east of Pie IX.

It looks like there was some of that, but moreso that the "scene" moved towards Saint-Henri and Verdun.
Hochelaga is also well into gentrification and St-Henri is a done deal, so much so that it creates social tension in both neighborhood.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 6:34 PM

^Yeah, even at the beginning of the century, it was clear that St. Henri was going to gentrify. Verdun, though, seemed more like some outer blue collar neighbourhood.

Maybe this dates me, but discussions about which neighbourhoods are on the vanguard of gentrification isn't something that people talk about anymore. It was a hot topic of discussion, not just on forums but in the press, in the 00s.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 6:44 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
^Yeah, even at the beginning of the century, it was clear that St. Henri was going to gentrify. Verdun, though, seemed more like some outer blue collar neighbourhood.
It's got pretty good metro service which must be a plus. Montreal and Toronto both have a good collection of urban neighbourhoods that are well-served by subway stations.

Vancouver is much less like this. The SkyTrain is more of a suburban commuter service, and inner neighbourhoods have poor coverage. The Canada Line improved this a bit and Broadway extension will help a bit more, but it still won't be like Montreal.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 8:33 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
The GaWC ranking of top ~550 cities in the World for 2020 is the most highly respected list of them all, out of all the different city ranking lists out there.
The GaWC is the most highly publicized list of them all. High profile and most respected are NOT the same thing. It's not like anyone has conducted a poll.

At the end of the day it is simply a list produced by one organization based on the criteria they chose. It should never been viewed as 'gospel' even though cities at the top would sure like it to be seen that way. It's absurd to say 'City A' is the world's most important because you read it or this organization said so. These things should always be taken with a grain of salt. There value lies in understanding how and why they conclude the things they do.

Last edited by isaidso; Oct 15, 2020 at 8:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 8:52 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I thought we agreed ages ago that these lists are mostly nonsense?
No poll was done for Canadian SSP forum members asking if there was consensus on that. You're projecting. 85 posts in just a few days suggests that people do see some value in them. We may not agree with an organization's findings but it does stir meaningful discussion. What criteria was used? Was it the right criteria? Flaws in the anaylsis? Strengths in the analysis? Are perceptions important? Can they be used by cities to spot weaknesses/strengths? You may not see value in them but lots of people do.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Thanks for the contribution.
No worries. Let me know if anything else confuses you.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 12:17 AM
I am the law!

Nonsense is an overly harsh criticism. They aren't nonsense based on the limited criteria and bias. They aren't realistic in any other spectrum.

As for Toronto's standing, it brings warmth to my inner homer. I don't know if it belongs in that group. It's not Toronto. It's Canadian restrictions towards globalization. Foreign institutions have very little presence in Toronto and Canadian owned institutions operating globally are operated from US head offices.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper; Oct 16, 2020 at 12:31 AM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 3:09 AM
The New Republic

642,000 international students: Canada now ranks 3rd globally in foreign student attraction

The United States currently has an estimated 1.1 million international students. Australia ranks second globally, with its nearly 700,000 international students. Canada’s 642,000 international students now rank it third globally, ahead of the nearly 500,000 each hosted by China and the United Kingdom. There have long been a lot of international students in Canada but the numbers have spiked the last few years. 1 in 35 people in BC is now an international student. That's a crazy high number.

https://www.cicnews.com/2020/02/6420...html#gs.jjers4

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 5:44 PM
I am the law!

I guess the large font and colour is meant as a source of pride. You do understand Canadian students have fewer and fewer opportunities to attend our "elite" universities because of the high number of foreign students taking spots because they are more profitable attendees.

Stats without delving into the benefits and/or consequences.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 7:36 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I guess the large font and colour is meant as a source of pride.
Only in your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Stats without delving into the benefits and/or consequences..
What on earth do you think SSP threads are for? I'm supposed to post information and do the entire discussion back and forth myself? My God you're an ass; your behaviour on this site an utter disgrace.

And what about have 'ZERO contact with me' do you not understand? For the 20th time, go be a childish prick to someone else.

BUZZ OFF TROLL!

Last edited by isaidso; Nov 1, 2020 at 7:48 AM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 1:58 PM

2021 rankings. Lots of represenatation from the Middle East. I've been to Oman and for the life of me can't understand how Muscat made this list.

The best part about this list is some of the photography.

https://www.bestcities.org/rankings/worlds-best-cities/

Last edited by Jaws; Nov 1, 2020 at 6:44 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
2021 rankings.
As with any list, I think there are some serious flaws in methodology. The bizarre fixation on social media check ins and convention centre size, the American centricity, and the weather score (sure we Canadians may have something to say about the validity, but Muscat's 40+ degree heat seems to have warranted an unusually high score there).

Still, quite a fun read. The commentary seems rather accurate to me and I like to follow the trends; Toronto moving up quickly, most American cities in decline, the rise of the Middle East's second cities.

There are some definite omissions... Is Minsk really better than say, Christchurch? Still, I think in terms of commentary and general ranking, the list is decent and worth a look.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 5:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Also good to see all of the "big six" Canadian cities on the top 100 international ranking.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 8:08 PM

Those ultra high levels of international students is an affront to all Canadians. 20 years of their parents paying taxes to support our universities only to find that their own kids can't get in. It is also EXTREMELY elitist. These international students are universally high income and hence their basic educations were done at private schools and home tutoring in their home countries and you can bet they didn't have to have P/T jobs to save money for university.

It's also worth noting that the highest levels are in BC and Ontario which not coincidentally happen to have the most extreme housing prices and lack of affordable rentals. This growth in just 4 years of a near doubling of international students means Canada has to find places for them to live which don't exist.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 9:45 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Those ultra high levels of international students is an affront to all Canadians. 20 years of their parents paying taxes to support our universities only to find that their own kids can't get in. It is also EXTREMELY elitist. These international students are universally high income and hence their basic educations were done at private schools and home tutoring in their home countries and you can bet they didn't have to have P/T jobs to save money for university.

It's also worth noting that the highest levels are in BC and Ontario which not coincidentally happen to have the most extreme housing prices and lack of affordable rentals. This growth in just 4 years of a near doubling of international students means Canada has to find places for them to live which don't exist.
They can’t get away with having no work experience. No matter how rich they are, if they don’t have work experience or proper networks in Canada, they are going to struggle in the Canadian job market. I also believe that despite international students are “lucrative”, universities restraint themselves from putting international students at the front. I know that the Asper School of Business of University of Manitoba gives priority to domestic students when enrolling.

They are the ones who bring new riches and capital to Canada. Successful, hardworking and entrepreneurial ones who want to remain will possibly start their businesses and create opportunities.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 10:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

With globalization, countries have had to find the areas where they have a comparative advantage. In Western countries, like Canada, the UK, and Australia, one area of comparative advantage is in higher education. We are "good" at that sort of thing, and it brings in a huge amount of money into the country. The simple fact is that we compete on value-added services better than we do on manufactured goods. The universities that do not receive foreign students (due to reputation, or location) are hurting very badly. Funny how few native-born Canadians could, but usually don't, apply to these places.

And many of the best and brightest end up staying in Canada, further benefiting our economy.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 3:15 AM

^Whole-heartedly agree. We should be celebrating our attractiveness to the world, not decrying it. It's not like Canadians can't fairly compete for a whole bucket of allocated spots. If a kid can't get into a spot then that's really on them and their parents; might I also remind folks there are a lot of higher education institutions in the country that aren't U of T, McGill or UBC. Any kid who applied a decent performance in high school can probably waltz into several useful programs in the Prairies or Northern BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
2021 rankings. Lots of represenatation from the Middle East. I've been to Oman and for the life of me can't understand how Muscat made this list.

The best part about this list is some of the photography.

https://www.bestcities.org/rankings/worlds-best-cities/
I really like the presentation of this list, they put effort in updating the description of all 100 cities with short videos for some of them. Also, there's finally a list that aligns sort of well with general global perspectives. A far cry from those odd Maclean's like rankings touting northern Prairie towns or rural Ontario towns as some beacon of habitability, or on the other extreme end, strange livability lists that seem kind of disconnected with an average person making an average household income - Zurich, Sydney, Vancouver. This list nakedly markets "greatness".

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 3:35 AM

You know what I find peculiar? If you look at the times higher education rankings, the more prestigious universities tend to have a higher proportion of international students. Compared with the top 50 universities, U of T at rank 18 actually has a lower than average international student percentage.

Edit: Here's a link to the list

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post

International students pay way more tuition. Not only do they not get their tuition subsidized, their tuition usually subsidize local students. The University of Manitoba, for one, basically gets by with low tuition and poor public funding by milking international students.

If Canadian students were missing out because of international students, Canada wouldn't have the highest rate of post-secondary education attainment in the world.

You and Whippersnapper are wrong. Put a lid on your xenophobia.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 3:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
International students pay way more tuition. Not only do they not get their tuition subsidized, their tuition usually subsidize local students. The University of Manitoba, for one, basically gets by with low tuition and poor public funding by milking international students.

If Canadian students were missing out because of international students, Canada wouldn't have the highest rate of post-secondary education attainment in the world.
Indeed. This is the business model that keeps the doors open for many domestic students, and the revenues generated by foreign students has become even more important given slashes to tertiary education funding by many provincial governments and/or tuition freezes.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada