HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 5:28 PM
Hammer'd

Looks like they're really rushing to get that bus platform finished. Considering that it won't even connect to any train service for a few more years, this is pretty inconvenient for me when I come into Hamilton from St. Catharines. Barton and Nash was a lot better for HSR connectivity.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 11:09 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

This station would be a gold mine for any other city. I don't know why there isn't a mini downtown around this spot. ?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 1:47 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
This station would be a gold mine for any other city. I don't know why there isn't a mini downtown around this spot. ?
Probably because most of the surrounding area is heavy industrial.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 6:31 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
What would be your reasoning for one to already exist there?

As matt602 noted, the area is industrial. It has been for decades. On the north side of the tracks used to be the region's waste incinerator, demolished 10+ years ago. The lands GO plans to use housed other industrial uses. Across Centennial where the retail wasteland sits was a massive scrap yard, and I can't recall but I think there was more industrial land that Home Depot now occupies. The lonely and half-empty commercial plaza and hotel have been there longest as non-industrial uses, built back in the mid-1980s I believe, and the Mazda dealership may have been there since the 1990s. There was also a motel on the west side of Centennial, just north of the tracks, long gone.

The nearest residential is south of Barton. Where would the local demand for "downtown"-type services and shops be?

And there's no GO transit service yet! What there will be for the near term will just be regional buses that have been moved from other sites, and probably some additional/adjusted HSR routing to meet them.

This area is pretty far from being "downtown ready" IMO. We'll likely see something more like that develop around Eastgate, close to the LRT and existing residential, per the city's long-term vision for the Centennial corridor.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Sep 25, 2019 at 6:50 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 5:40 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

I agree, around Eastgate could look like Square One without our height and density restrictions. Lots of people like to drive but not too far maybe 5-10 to a destination and park. That's how Mississauga grew. I remember council taking field trips to see the Hazel McCalion city she built. They came back gushing and then did nothing like it. Instead more sprawl and low density structures.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 3:32 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
I agree, around Eastgate could look like Square One without our height and density restrictions. Lots of people like to drive but not too far maybe 5-10 to a destination and park. That's how Mississauga grew. I remember council taking field trips to see the Hazel McCalion city she built. They came back gushing and then did nothing like it. Instead more sprawl and low density structures.
We already have a downtown we don't need another one. Mississauga doesn't have a downtown so Square One acts as their downtown. We are not a suburb, Mississauga is.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 5:22 AM

Okay. As someone who actually knows about urban planning, square one is a suburban hellhole. Square one is the last way Hamilton should design a second downtown. I loathe every moment I spend near, in, or around square one. They have tall towers without any of the street life of a city. If all you guys care about is tall towers, then I'm sorry, but you may want to move to Toronto where they have loads of lifeless tower streets that are perfect for staring at and terrible for living near.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 3:05 PM
Hammer'd

I really don't think Mississauga is a city Hamilton should be modelling itself after, unless its regarding transit.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 5:53 PM
Ham-burgher

"Mississaugification" around Eastgate would be horrible.

I recall the vision being more mid-rise mixed use that's complementary with transit and active transportation. If the mall even survives it would probably be substantially altered.

I don't doubt development proposals for tall towers that integrate with nothing else will be floated in the longer-term future, but the city needs to stay on point.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs