HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 5:32 AM
Registered Loser

a streetview car was parked outside my apartment in east van the last couple days

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
the new historical imagery feature is pretty cool!

They also added a whole bunch of new areas and updated imagery in rural areas... Fort McMurray is a major addition
Imagery has been updated in St. John's. I just looked and found myself waving to the camera.v

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 2:21 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Imagery has been updated in St. John's. I just looked and found myself waving to the camera.v
Looks like they have finally included Clarenville. First time I get to see a street view of my old house in 20 years.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 2:05 PM

Interesting to look back at this thread and realize that Google Street View has only been with us in Canada for barely a decade.

People can say what they want about Google/Alphabet, but they pulled off a phenomenal feat with Street View. Setting out to create digital views of damn near every street in this country (plus the USA, plus however many other countries worldwide) would have been the stuff of science fiction 30 years ago.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 2:30 PM

Historic google street view is starting to get old enough now that it's actually quite useful - and a fascinating recorded history of our cities. Looking back at 2007 or 2009 streetview in some locations is crazy.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 2:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interesting to look back at this thread and realize that Google Street View has only been with us in Canada for barely a decade.

People can say what they want about Google/Alphabet, but they pulled off a phenomenal feat with Street View. Setting out to create digital views of damn near every street in this country (plus the USA, plus however many other countries worldwide) would have been the stuff of science fiction 30 years ago.
Agreed. It is probably my favorite application of the Google universe. Unfortunately it is a great time sucker. But it has also been very helpful in terms of planning the trips that I take.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Historic google street view is starting to get old enough now that it's actually quite useful - and a fascinating recorded history of our cities. Looking back at 2007 or 2009 streetview in some locations is crazy.
Even spotting how trees have grown on your property or looking at different cars on your property is interesting. Or in my case, I could see my cousins house in London (the 1st London ) where she is wagging her finger at her husband and apparently telling him to start the painting job he said he would do.

Sometimes if you go down a street the seasons change rapidly.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 3:05 PM

I remember as a kid looking at maps/atlases and trying to align picture of various cities to the different areas to try and visualize walking the streets. Streetview was everything I didnt even know I wanted until it was there and now I cant even fathom how much time I've spent on it. Add geogussr to the mix and 12 year old me wouldve lost his mind.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 3:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I remember as a kid looking at maps/atlases and trying to align picture of various cities to the different areas to try and visualize walking the streets. Streetview was everything I didnt even know I wanted until it was there and now I cant even fathom how much time I've spent on it. Add geogussr to the mix and 12 year old me wouldve lost his mind.
I was just going to write the same thing. If Google Street View had existed as a distraction when I was a teen, I am not sure I would have even finished school.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 3:18 PM

I started using Apple Maps in addition to Google Streetview. It is not quite as complete and does not yet have the history aspect, but the 3D effects are pretty cool and it gives a different perspective of the same streets.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 5:02 PM

Google Streetview can also be quite dated in some areas - many streets latest images are from 2014 or 2015. They update most main streets annually but local streets are less frequent.

Apple Maps since it is so new at least has all streets from 2019.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 5:26 PM

It'll be interesting seeing this another 20-30 years from now, particularly looking back at the 2020 photos. You can see evidence of the pandemic in recent photos, particularly people wearing masks.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada