HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 11:14 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Love the idea of a new performing arts centre for Halifax but to bring it up at this stage for the convention centre seems asinine.
Couldn't the old trade be converted into some kind of performing arts centre? Is there already plans for the old center?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 11:56 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Couldn't the old trade be converted into some kind of performing arts centre? Is there already plans for the old center?
I think that the main exhibition space in the current convention centre is the Metro Centre rink which can be converted to exhibition space by removing some seating sections. I don't think that there would be enough room in the meetings room building (this might be converted to offices).

In my opinion, the HRM would do far better by putting money towards a stadium as opposed to a 2500 seat performing arts centre since the HRM already has the Neptune Theater and Rebecca Cohn Auditorium.

Is there some way to access the interview with Mayor Kelly? (Is it in some archive?)

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 12:35 PM
Honored Member

The following story was in the National Post (copied below) http://www.financialpost.com/news-se...#ixzz0j0CEIYxq . The story makes the following statemnet about the HRM office market: Halifax was the only major market to show improvement in the first quarter, a fact chalked up to its broad-based economy, including everything tom the military to government to education. The city's vacancy rate actually declined from 9.6% a year ago to 9.4% in the current quarter.

Quote:
Pace of office vacancy increases slows

Garry Marr, National Post Published: Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Office vacancy rates across the country continued to rise during the first quarter but the pace is slowing down, indicating that some stability may be returning to Canada's commercial real estate markets, according to CB Richard Ellis Ltd.

The real estate company said the national office vacancy rate rose to 10.1% in the first quarter this year, up from 7.5% a year ago.

However, vacancy rates were only up slightly from the 9.9% at the end of the fourth quarter of 2009.

John O'Bryan, vice-chairman, CB Richard Ellis, said the small increase from the fourth quarter is an indication the commercial real estate market in Canada may be through the worst of the recession.

"A more promising employment picture, slowly improving leasing activity and the residual impact those factors have had on the country's commercial real estate market is a welcome change from 2009 conditions," said Mr. O'Bryan. "Expect to see a slow recovery progressively in 2010. With a few notable exceptions, the majority of Canada's markets appear to be over the hump."

Sublet space flooding the market continues to be a problem but is no longer growing rapidly. The percentage of vacant office space that was sublet space was 21.9% in the first quarter, up from 20.8% a year earlier.

Across the country, vacancy rates rose in most of the major markets.

In Vancouver. the overall vacancy rate rose to 10.2% in the first quarter from 7.2% a year ago. The city's suburban area has added most of the new vacant space, said CB Richard Ellis. The vacancy rate in the city's downtown core rose to 6% from 4.2% a year ago but suburban

Vancouver's vacancy rate has risen to 14.7% from 10.7% during the same period.

Commercial property in Alberta's two largest city continue to be hit hard by weakness in the national gas sector. In Edmonton the overall vacancy rate has risen to 10.6% in the first quarter from 6.5% a year earlier.

Calgary has faced the additional problem of a huge bump in the supply of office space with 2.7 million square feet to hit the market in the next 18 months. Already the vacancy rate in the city has climbed to 14.9% in the first quarter from 7.9% a year earlier.

Sublet space in Calgary continues to be a major problem with 38.1% of all vacant space sublets, the highest such percentage in the country.

In the largest office market in the country, CB Richard said market conditions are going to turn in favour of tenants over the next few years. The overall vacancy rate in Toronto climbed to 9.6% in the first quarter, up from 7.7% a year earlier.

In Montreal, the market has benefited from the fact there has been no significant office towers built in the downtown core over the last five years. Despite that fact, the vacancy rate in the city still rose to 10.7% in the first quarter from 8.8% a year earlier.

The nation's capital continues to benefit from the steady nature of government tenancies. The vacancy rate in Ottawa was a relatively low 5.4% in the first quarter, up from 5.1% a year earlier, but is expected to soften in the coming months with public sector cutbacks.

Halifax was the only major market to show improvement in the first quarter, a fact chalked up to its broad-based economy, including everything tom the military to government to education. The city's vacancy rate actually declined from 9.6% a year ago to 9.4% in the current quarter.

Read more: http://www.financialpost.com/news-se...#ixzz0j0CEIYxq
The Financial Post is now on Facebook. Join our fan community today.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 10:01 PM

Not sure if any one here has viewed this yet (or posted it), but I think most of you will find it amusing -

Hitler reacts to the Heritage Trust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybZJU94IVIA

This thing has been flying around in the last 24 hours.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 10:14 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Hah, that's great - I posted it in the Canada section, although it might not be interesting to people who don't understand the references.

By the way, there's a relatively new youtube tag you can put around your videos to embed them:

Video Link

It is a standard closed tag like image. Inside you put the alphanumeric code from the end of the YouTube url.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Hah, that's great - I posted it in the Canada section, although it might not be interesting to people who don't understand the references.

By the way, there's a relatively new youtube tag you can put around your videos to embed them:

Video Link

It is a standard closed tag like image. Inside you put the alphanumeric code from the end of the YouTube url.
Priceless! Thanks for the link.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 12:37 AM

Great video, really gave me a laugh

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 12:39 AM
Honored Member

Looks very professional in quality. Who would go to such an extreme to put this together? What bothers me is that the crazed man (Hittler) is for the convention centre and is verbally attacking the Heritage people. Although it is funny, there is a subliminal message; they are saying that Hittler and the Nazis are convention centre supporters and the heritage people are being attacked. So it is time for convention centre supporters to give up and move to Toronto. Sounds like it was made by people associated with the Heritage Trust (i.e. Halifax isn't Toronto).

Here are the tags for the video (sounds kind of fishy, also the person who made this video only has this one video on YouTube, so there is no way to know what other causes he is affiliated with):
Hitler reacts to Halifax Nova Scotia Heritage Trust Coalition to save the view Convention centre NDP politics Dexter Rodney MacDonald

Haven't these people set Halifax back far enough? I think we all need to catch on to their tricks so Halifax and Nova Scotia can have a more prosperous future.

PS: This isn't even original, somebody took a video from YouTube and just changed the words. I take back what I said, it isn't professional, it is just someone with the Heritage Trust stealing someone else's idea. Here's another form of the video that was uploaded September 19, 2009. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GuGq...eature=related

Last edited by fenwick16; Mar 24, 2010 at 1:20 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Looks very professional in quality. Who would go to such an extreme to put this together? What bothers me is that the crazed man (Hittler) is for the convention centre and is verbally attacking the Heritage people. Although it is funny, there is a subliminal message; they are saying that Hittler and the Nazis are convention centre supporters and the heritage people are being attacked. So it is time for convention centre supporters to give up and move to Toronto. Sounds like it was made by people associated with the Heritage Trust (i.e. Halifax isn't Toronto).

Here are the tags for the video (sounds kind of fishy, also the person who made this video only has this one video on YouTube, so there is no way to know what other causes he is affiliated with):
Hitler reacts to Halifax Nova Scotia Heritage Trust Coalition to save the view Convention centre NDP politics Dexter Rodney MacDonald

Haven't these people set Halifax back far enough? I think we all need to catch on to their tricks so Halifax and Nova Scotia can have a more prosperous future.

PS: This isn't even original, somebody took a video from YouTube and just changed the words. I take back what I said, it isn't professional, it is just someone with the Heritage Trust stealing someone else's idea. Here's another form of the video that was uploaded September 19, 2009. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GuGq...eature=related
Geez Fenwick. Talk about over analyzing. And yes it isn't original - but I don't think it is someone from HT stealing ideas. This clip has been used for a large number of "re-dubs". You really are a conspiracy theorist.

You may find it hard to believe, but HT are not a bunch of people trying to squash all your dreams. They actually do believe in what they fight for - and while I don't agree with much of their rhetoric, much of the "pro-development" arguments are just as simplistic and miss the core of the arguments on both sides. There is a major problem in Halifax with an adversarial approach to development issues, with neither side even attempting to understand the concerns of the other.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 1:54 AM

Haha, that's a great video, I've been forwarding it around.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure if the Heritage Trust put it out they wouldn't make a mockery of Epstein or Pacey along with their fundamental principle of protecting the view from Citadel Hill. Take a breath and enjoy it for what I believe it was meant to be, a funny snapshot of the insanity that is suppose to be progress in Halifax.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 1:56 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarchy View Post
Geez Fenwick. Talk about over analyzing. And yes it isn't original - but I don't think it is someone from HT stealing ideas. This clip has been used for a large number of "re-dubs". You really are a conspiracy theorist.

You may find it hard to believe, but HT are not a bunch of people trying to squash all your dreams. They actually do believe in what they fight for - and while I don't agree with much of their rhetoric, much of the "pro-development" arguments are just as simplistic and miss the core of the arguments on both sides. There is a major problem in Halifax with an adversarial approach to development issues, with neither side even attempting to understand the concerns of the other.
I actually do understand the aims of the Heritage - mainly to preserve heritage, partly to preserve the neigbourhoods of tenured Dalhousie professors and medical Doctors with no fear of losing their jobs. Most people need jobs, otherwise they will have to move to a different province or country to find work. I would respect the Hertitage Trust a lot more if they would preserve significant heritage and work at producing jobs for everyday Nova Scotians.

Obviously, from your posts you are intelligent planarchy, but those of us who have been following the Halifax area news for the past few decades know all the Heritage Trust tricks.

Last edited by fenwick16; Mar 24, 2010 at 11:37 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 1:57 AM

Quote:

Welcome to the internet

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 1:58 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Haha, that's a great video, I've been forwarding it around.

I'm pretty sure if the Heritage Trust put it out they wouldn't make a mockery of Epstein or Pacey along with their fundamental principle of protecting the view from Citadel Hill. Take a breath and enjoy it for what I believe it was meant to be, a funny snapshot of the insanity that is suppose to be progress in Halifax.
If you check the tags for the video you might think otherwise. If this video is followed within a few days with another video promoting the cause of the Save our View group then you will know that it was planned.

Here is another version that was uploaded 3 years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfkDx...eature=related

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 1:59 AM

I don't see anything in there that would make me think this is from the HT...

I will however point out that this is awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9i9N-Ez5Y8

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 2:06 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
I don't see anything in there that would make me think this is from the HT...

I will however point out that this is awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9i9N-Ez5Y8
I hope that you are right, however, the tags include Save our View and Heritage Trust. It seems like they are planning to have another video come out with the same tags. Wait and see. If not, then I will admit that I am taking this too seriously.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 2:18 AM

Quote:
If you check the tags for the video you might think otherwise. If this video is followed within a few days with another video promoting the cause of the Save our View group then you will know that it was planned.

Here is another version that was uploaded 3 years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfkDx...eature=related
I hardly believe video editing and YouTube are on the Heritage Trusts radar. A friend of mine was behind a lady at Staples who was baffled by the photocopier, turns out she was making copies of Heritage Trust registration forms. So for them to put this together would be the equivalent to putting a man on Mars, so by that time frame, in 2030 Phil Pacey might make his YouTube debut with the "Evolution of Dance" remake.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 2:52 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I hardly believe video editing and YouTube are on the Heritage Trusts radar. A friend of mine was behind a lady at Staples who was baffled by the photocopier, turns out she was making copies of Heritage Trust registration forms. So for them to put this together would be the equivalent to putting a man on Mars, so by that time frame, in 2030 Phil Pacey might make his YouTube debut with the "Evolution of Dance" remake.
Yes, I am taking this much too seriously. However, don't underestimate the Heritage Trust. There are some very intelligent people in the Heritage Trust and they use all sorts of propaganda to trick people like the lady who was baffled by the photocopier.

My pro-development views might be somewhat simplistic. However, having watching the Maritimes as a depressed area for so long, it would be good to see some prosperity which has never been a goal of the Heritage Trust (in my opinion).

PS: Let's see if they link this video to their Save our View Petition?

Last edited by fenwick16; Mar 24, 2010 at 3:26 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Yes, I am taking this much too seriously. However, don't underestimate the Communists. There are some very intelligent people in the USSR and they use all sorts of propaganda to trick people like the lady who was baffled by the photocopier.

My pro-development views might be somewhat simplistic. However, having watching the USSR as a depressed area for so long, it would be good to see some prosperity which has never been a goal of the USSR (in my opinion).

PS: Let's see if they link this video to their Save our View Petition?
I think we have a general McCarthy on our hands here
Seriously you are taking it way to seriously, the clip is from a German movie from about 2003 or so, there have been subs of this since like 2004 or 2005. The HT is not that evil, in fact they can be comparable to you and your want for a stadium so badly. They want to resist change as much as you want a stadium in Halifax. Mind you I'd like a stadium to, but it's not the point, you wont see another video up unless the creator reads your posts here and puts one up for the laughs.
(By the way, I edited your post just for fun )

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 4:23 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
I think we have a general McCarthy on our hands here

(By the way, I edited your post just for fun )
OK. Maybe, I was wrong. Or otherwise, if this is Heritage Trust propaganda, then it has backfired since most of the comments seem to think that it is making fun of the wacky views of the Heritage Trust and Save our View I think that there is hope for a brighter future for Halifax after all; with heritage buildings and modern architecture side by side.

PS: I am an unapologetic pro-development modern architecture lover. So if the Heritage trust is going to try to stop another great development in Halifax then they won't get any praise from me!

Last edited by fenwick16; Mar 24, 2010 at 4:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 4:40 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth