HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Not just NIMBY-ism then, but also a case of FUD. Fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

Afraid the riff-raff who will inhabit the units will being shooting up, shooting bullets, and shooing away the good honest folk who would otherwise have one day offered a fortune for their property.
Ah yes, those drug addicts that can afford $650,000 condos... Aha

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 4:41 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Ah yes, those drug addicts that can afford $650,000 condos... Aha
Must be the dealers then.

The addicts who rely on the dealers will infiltrate the neighbourhood and bring the property values down so much that Mr. or Ms. 20-year-investor will lose the enjoyment of their investment. Soooo sad.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 8:29 PM

The project is called "Westgate on Main"

New rendering...

source

"Westgate on Main Condos is a new condo development by Matrix Development Group currently in preconstruction at 415 Main Street West, Hamilton. Westgate on Main Condos has a total of 114 units. Sizes range from 315 to 800 square feet." - source

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 9:10 PM

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 10:18 PM

Why is it set back from the street with grass? Is this suburban upper Stoney Creek?

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 2:16 PM

There is a Westgate Towers on Main st like 3 blocks from here. I don't mind this development. The scale is great. Much like 101 Locke st. I'd also prefer the elimination of grass out front but there is time. Hard to be offended by this but c'mon, the name?

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 2:32 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Why is it set back from the street with grass? Is this suburban upper Stoney Creek?
Due to a previous road widening, probably whenever the Dairy Queen was built, that patch of grass is part of the Main Street ROW and not part of the property. This building is right up to their front lot line.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachlanholmes View Post
Due to a previous road widening, probably whenever the Dairy Queen was built, that patch of grass is part of the Main Street ROW and not part of the property. This building is right up to their front lot line.
And that's fine, but despite the current horrible nature of Main St, I'd still like to at least see one or two commercial units with an expanded sidewalk. My hope is that Main St won't be like this forever, so I don't know why we're not expecting commercial on the first floor to replace commercial. Even if Main isn't optimal, for thousands of people living nearby a commercial unit nearby would be walking distance.

I'd also really like to see redevelopments widen the sidewalk along here, instead of grass.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 3:17 PM

Just because it’s in the municipal right of way doesn’t mean it needs to be grass. No reason it can’t be a widened sidewalk with planters between the sidewalk and the road to buffer the traffic and improve the public realm.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 3:45 PM
It's a nickname from work

If they do put some grass, it won't stay grass for very long...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 7:31 PM

Altech Environmental is currently on site doing a geotechnical assessment.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 4:51 PM

There is an appeal to the OLT.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyColeman View Post
There is an appeal to the OLT.
Resident appeal? I can't believe this, it's on Main St and is a lower than reasonable height. So silly in this city sometimes.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 6:40 PM

Typical. This is why I maintain that the popular “look how many vacant lots there are to build on!” Graphics are bs red herrings, because apparently even building on vacant lots is unacceptable. Waste of taxpayer money + staff time and resources.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 8:13 PM

SO what developers have to do in Hamilton is figure out how high they want a building and then add a ridiculous amount of floors to it. Then when the nimby's crawl out from their rock, they can negotiate it down to where they wanted the building and it gets approved. Then the nimby's think they have one and the builder get what he wants. At least that is what I would do.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 9:04 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
SO what developers have to do in Hamilton is figure out how high they want a building and then add a ridiculous amount of floors to it. Then when the nimby's crawl out from their rock, they can negotiate it down to where they wanted the building and it gets approved. Then the nimby's think they have one and the builder get what he wants. At least that is what I would do.
Exactly this! Incredibly frustrating to see any delay during a housing crisis...

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 9:34 PM

I mean, I don't know if that's the solution. I'd have to check the map, but I'm pretty sure this falls within the zoning by-laws. City should approve as of right, and LPAT should immediately throw it out if it's within the zoning.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 1:07 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Eh, still doesn’t seem as bad as Ottawa, where a tower next to existing apartment towers in an un-walkable no-man’s land between a parkway, a railroad track, and a mall parking-lot has nimbys riled up. So… at least there’s that?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Resident appeal? I can't believe this, it's on Main St and is a lower than reasonable height. So silly in this city sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Typical. This is why I maintain that the popular “look how many vacant lots there are to build on!” Graphics are bs red herrings, because apparently even building on vacant lots is unacceptable. Waste of taxpayer money + staff time and resources.
It wasn't the City who appealed the proposal. Council approved this development as proposed and someone else appealed. Not sure who would, though, but Joey said he's on it.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 1:28 PM

The good news is that resident appeals are almost *always* thrown out. Regular joes tend not to be the best at planning law and justification.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton