HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 12:05 AM
Midtowner since 2K

That's great to see a new proposal which, judging by the height alone, shouldn't be too difficult to approve. That is quite an absurd promotional video, but it'll be fun to laugh at in a few decades (and now of course).

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 12:49 AM

I can see King William ending up kind of like Cumberland St or Yorkville Ave in toronto in the not too distant future, but there is still much work to do on King William. Maybe once Kresge is done and something happens at James/King William.

On a side note, I attended the design review panel meeting where this was discussed and it was pretty positively received. There were some issues with the building appearing quite long since it's a really wide and shallow property but overall nobody really had any problems with the design. Same architect as 22 George (kirkor) so expect similar work here.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 2:49 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
I can see King William ending up kind of like Cumberland St or Yorkville Ave in toronto in the not too distant future, but there is still much work to do on King William. Maybe once Kresge is done and something happens at James/King William.

On a side note, I attended the design review panel meeting where this was discussed and it was pretty positively received. There were some issues with the building appearing quite long since it's a really wide and shallow property but overall nobody really had any problems with the design. Same architect as 22 George (kirkor) so expect similar work here.
Heh. They liked this? I like it too, somewhat, but there are certainly better projects that didn't get positivity from the DRP. Like Corktown Plaza, which they pretty much only found flaws.

It's just me speculating, and just my opinion, but our DRP really only exists to scale down buildings, like all the other planning processes here.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 7:47 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
I pray for this day - that area still looks like someone ripped the buildings off the side of it just a week ago. Such prime real estate right in the core.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 7:49 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
Or, St Lawrence Market TO
We had a st lawrence market - it was right beside the old city hall where jackson square is now - right beside the lister block. We even had a building that originally looked like that until they tore it down. You can vaguely see it here on the left.

In that image the lister block is directly behind the big city hall building in the middle.

another image of it - this time with it on the right, with the old city hall on the left.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 1:48 AM

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 3:53 AM

http://imgur.com/bmsn7k7

Took this from an ad for this development on Instagram.

Last edited by SteelTown; Apr 13, 2019 at 4:47 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 4:00 AM

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 4:04 AM

I’m shit at uploading images.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 3:31 PM

I like this A LOT. Great density, great design, and it connects with the street and includes room for a patio right beside the Theatre. It would also bring hundreds of new people to the International Village. Plus it's replacing a parking lot

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 7:17 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I like this A LOT. Great density, great design, and it connects with the street and includes room for a patio right beside the Theatre. It would also bring hundreds of new people to the International Village. Plus it's replacing a parking lot
You said it all. Agree completely.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 2:14 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
You said it all. Agree completely.
Yeah it's got some nice design elements to it - I love the designs that treat the first 3-4 floors like a separate building and then plop a condo on top, as most people only really focus on what the first 3-4 floors look like from street level.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 3:39 PM

Will be interesting to see how this goes. My company built and owns Terraces on King on the other side of King St, so this is a very welcome addition to the neighborhood if it gets constructed.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 4:29 PM

I saw some signs advertising it in Burlington. So seems like they're gearing up to start sales.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I saw some signs advertising it in Burlington. So seems like they're gearing up to start sales.
The developer is based out of Burlington, so it makes sense that they have started targeting that area. I saw a ton of ads on Instagram for a while. The main selling feature was the proximity to the restaurants on King William. That is pretty misleading since it's not in that area of King William.... it's 8-10 minute walk from there to restaurant row on King William during the spring, summer, and fall.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 4:42 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
Will be interesting to see how this goes. My company built and owns Terraces on King on the other side of King St, so this is a very welcome addition to the neighborhood if it gets constructed.
Terraces on king is a beautiful massive building with a nice combination of stone and brick

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
The developer is based out of Burlington, so it makes sense that they have started targeting that area. I saw a ton of ads on Instagram for a while. The main selling feature was the proximity to the restaurants on King William. That is pretty misleading since it's not in that area of King William.... it's 8-10 minute walk from there to restaurant row on King William during the spring, summer, and fall.
Just my opinion but I don't think many people believe 8-10 minutes is "not in that area."

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapht View Post
Just my opinion but I don't think many people believe 8-10 minutes is "not in that area."
It isn't. I live Downtown and just like most Downtowns across North America, there are different neighborhoods. The International Village is different than the Downtown Core. It's not far, but it's also not at your doorstep. When its freezing and the ground is icy in the winter, not many residents are going to walk down to King William from here.

My point is, the Ads have focused on how close the condo is going to be to "restaurant row" on King William. It makes it seem like the condo is on the same stretch when it's all the way down on the other side of King William lol.

This isn't a knock on the project, I hope it gets built. I just think the ads are a tiny bit misleading.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 12:23 PM

it's 450 metres from Ferguson to John - a 4-5 min walk. If someone doesn't think 4 min on foot is close enough, I don't know what to say

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
it's 450 metres from Ferguson to John - a 4-5 min walk. If someone doesn't think 4 min on foot is close enough, I don't know what to say
It isn't. I live in the area and walk that route a lot. It's 5 min if you're walking very quickly. If you're starting at the beginning of restaurant row at King William/James, that will take at least 7-8 Minutes...

Again, I'm not discounting the project. I'm making note of the constant ads that would pop up on my social media page that said, "Live on Restaurant Row". It's a bit misleading is all I'm saying.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton