HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
That's right. They were originally envisioned as both advertising and private aids to aerial navigation. The Commerce Department got up to speed on setting up their own beacons very quickly however, so the Richfield beacons were obsolete really quickly. Add in Richfield's bankruptcy due to the depression, and nearly all of the aerial beacons were turned off by 1931, leaving them as advertising symbols only.

Maybe so, but these later ones seem more like one-off local vendor creations rather than an actual project by corporate. I have not seen a single thing about them in any of my searches. There is one book on the subject and it makes no mention of them, either.

I think you may be right that the trailer camp sign may say "Rainbow". I will be searching for it shortly. I have come to the conclusion that this site was probably at the very end of Foothill Blvd., where it takes a curve and becomes 5th St. heading into San Bernardino. Foothill originally continued straight and became 4th until the early 1930s. This would make sense for the California Hotel sign - driving east you would need to take the new curve to the left to arrive at the hotel at 5th & E. This would place the station in the Y where 5th and 4th meet up from the east with Foothill Blvd. coming in from the west.

Here is the San Bernardino photo compared to a similar viewpoint of the Bakersfield beacon. The original ones were enormous.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rich...eacons/photos/ sourced by a Bakersfield member of the group from his local library

Before I get too far afield of LA, let me bring it back with this photo of a model of the Richfield Building, said to be located in the Los Angeles Conservancy offices:

http://walknridela.com/roaming-the-r...deco-by-metro/

No beacon tower on top, funnily enough.
Nothing on the beacon but the California Hotel was located at 5th and E Streets in San Bernardino. Built in 1927, it went out of business in 1972 and was torn down in 1985.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 7:10 PM

^^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
Nothing on the beacon but the California Hotel was located at 5th and E Streets in San Bernardino. Built in 1927, it went out of business in 1972 and was torn down in 1985.

1938, California Hotel is seen on right at 522 'E' Street
http://jpg1.lapl.org/00099/00099778.jpg

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 7:29 PM

Nice, Brett!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1612havenhurstdrive View Post
Why not one of the original LA skyscrapers in a colorNoir tribute?

-brett
In 1949, could these people have even envisioned the Supreme Court news announced today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
LAPL has this [1949] photo up on two different pages with two different captions:

[...] Was this taken in jail or at a party at a 3rd & Main venue? (I can't imagine it was a jail-themed party).
Also, I thought, even in the darkest years, that everyone was safe on Halloween(?)

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
In 1949, could these people have even envisioned the Supreme Court news announced today?
Considering the wonderfully carefree and exuberant expression of femininity exhibited in the photograph, I think the answer may be "yes" :-)

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 12:34 AM
I Like Turtles!

Intriguing Images Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Intriguing image.

1915 - Loma Drive and Sixth Street

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...d/14401/rec/11

At first I thought these two photos showed the aftermath of an actual car accident, but then I noticed how much the two cars had been moved between shots. In the second photo both cars have been moved at least a dozen feet further west on 6th Street (and further into 6th Street as well). This was obviously a set-up shot, but why? Maybe for a traffic safety ad campaign?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 2:15 AM

I have to admit, when I came across this vintage postcard on ebay, I hadn't thought much about the 'City Flag of Los Angeles'.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Official-Fla...item1a02174f28

Have we seen this flag in any of the hundreds of vintage photographs that have been posted on NLA?

-and what's up with that bell festooned with fruit?

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 27, 2015 at 2:32 AM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 2:26 AM

Another first; the word 'Sanitarians'.

eBay

UCLA Dept. of Health, School of Public Health, 1944.
__

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 3:17 AM

It only took one click to straighten a photograph on my old computer....yet I haven't figured out how to do it on my new computer.
-please feel free to straighten this photograph.

below: A rare amateur photograph from the 1920s(?) that appears to show a movie location featuring either KKK members or Knights Templar on horseback.

eBay

Here is the same scene enlarged. (and still f**king crooked)

eBay

Any ideas what movie this might be?

I would guess D.W. Griffith's 'Birth of a Nation', but the buildings in the scene are too contemporary....
and besides,
'Birth of a Nation' was filmed in 1915.

(note the horse turds CityBoyDoug )

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 30, 2017 at 3:49 AM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 6:31 AM
BANNED

ethereal_reality;

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I know....kinda glad I didn't live in that era.

1898 ad....Winton sold 20 cars that year. I say...ban the horse!!!

I'm sending for that catalogue today.

file CD

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jun 27, 2015 at 7:38 AM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
ethereal_reality;

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I know....kinda glad I didn't live in that era.

1898 ad....Winton sold 20 cars that year. I say...ban the horse!!!

I'm sending for that catalogue today.

file CD
My wife's grandmother was one of the first women to be granted a driver's license in the state of Massachusetts. In order to get it, she had to assert she had driven 50 miles, the assumption being that in that distance you had to have performed all essential roadside maintenance, including changing a tire.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 8:40 PM

Home of Benjamin Franklin Mathenson, Lordsburg Calif.

eBay

One of the details that makes this fine looking bungalow unique is the decorative water fountain in the front yard.

Photographer R. H. Gardiner, Whittier Cal

...and on the back of the photograph.

A little bit of Lordsburg history.

Entrepreneur Isaac W. Lord purchased a tract of Jose Palomares' land and convinced the Santa Fe Railroad company to run it's line across towards Los Angeles.
Lord had the land surveyed for building lots and in 1887 had a large land sale, naming the new town 'Lordsburg' after himself.
He also had the large Lordsburg Hotel constructed, but the land boom was over by the time it was completed.

In 1906 the town was incorporated as 'La Verne'. (La Verne is 30 miles due east of downtown Los Angeles)

Lordsburg Station

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Verne,_California

1914 Pacific Electric map, City of Lordsburg.

https://www.raremaps.com/gallery/enlarge/31892df

3rd Street, East end.

detail

So perhaps Mr. Mathenson's bungalow was located here. (red circle above)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 27, 2015 at 10:02 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 9:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Home of Benjamin Franklin Mathenson, Lordsburg Calif.

[/URL]
detail

So perhaps Mr. Mathenson's bungalow was located here. (red circle above)

__
Most unusual shaped house....even the roof is different. Nice porches and verandas which were common in Quaker architecture.

previously posted

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 10:14 PM

I didn't remember it. sorry.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 11:01 PM

"Audience entrances for soundstages 8 (Our Miss Brooks) and 9 (I Love Lucy), 847 Lillian Way, Hollywood."

Desilu-Caheunga Studios (name circa 1960)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/367958232030937143/

Here are the two entrances as look they today.

gsv

Note the lone sign bracket still in place.

that, and two light fixture that probably haven't been used for 50 some years.

gsv

Stages 8 and 9 were located in the large soundstage at lower left.

http://www.retroweb.com/tv_studios_and_ranches.html

The studio didn't have a backlot, but the houses across the street on Lillian Way were used for occasional exterior filming.

Including Thelma Lou's house on The Andy Griffith Show (below) -can you spot it in the 1947 aerial above?

http://www.retroweb.com/tv_studios_and_ranches.html

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 27, 2015 at 11:50 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 11:36 PM

Max Neft and the Park View Apartments, or, Skeletons in the Taxidermy Lab

--below, bad paraphrasing by me, sorry. just shortening an amazing post by FW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
Max Neft was born in Latvia in 1874.
[...moved to LA, built Neft Apartments building near USC (later Park View Apts) across from where now is the Natural History Museum...]
Here's the Neft Apartments in 1925 just west of Hoover at 901 W. Exposition; the building on the left is the county museum taxidermy lab:

USCDL -- http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/re...ll170/id/68201
USC expanded in the 1960s and acquired a number of properties adjacent to the campus, and the former Neft Apartments was undoubtedly one of them.
There are a few LA Times articles from the mid-60s that discuss the possibility of building a new taxidermy wing for the county museum, so perhaps that's when USC acquired the taxidermy lab and the Neft Apartments.
The 1989 aerial at HistoricAerials.com is rather blurry, but the Neft Apartments and the taxidermy lab seem to be standing. The 1994 aerial shows two vacant lots. ...
I have little to add about the Neft/Park View Apartments, however USC still had students housed in similarly-aged buildings in the mid-1980s. There were about four multi-story brick/concrete 1920-30s housing removed around 1986-1988. Park View was one of them, however just Touton Hall and Harris Plaza are mentioned in this LA Times article from 1986 : http://articles.latimes.com/1986-03-...esidence-halls Harris Plaza was just east of Park View by a block, whereas Touton stood where the new Cinematic Arts buildings have been built.

But somewhere during 1986-1988, I visited the strange "unknown" taxidermy laboratory building - retrofitted with an excessive amounts of earthquake-damage-preventing I-beam girders and tiebacks - which had no markings that it was affiliated with the campus. And no security. It still just had aged painted signs declaring it was property of History Museum and no easy means of entry. Locked doors, dusty windows, unused all day, dark all night. Many rumors but no facts. (Wish i could remember the exact year now.)

The tiny old barn out back that you see on the Sanborn Map was even still there, with, between the Lab and barn, an old rusted truck sunk a half foot into the ground - the barn's wooden building walls decaying in a manner that i could have shot a depression-era tiny ol' opry without a production designer. Heavy, light-killing, old bushes completely hiding it from campus view. Usually, the barn's porch was used by drama's Greenroom Theatre staff for a smoke break, by the numbers of modern cigarettes butted out amongst the weeds.

Oh, but the hulking laboratory, what a frightening hidden gem. Also hidden by dense green plants all around it. Some of us decided we had to see a way inside and discover its treasure. Unfortunately, in night sleuthing, we forewent our 35mm SLR flash cameras as to not attract attention, so no pictures.

Under a full moon, a couple of us climbed up the closely-spaced outside I-beams to the roof, to find a rooftop stairway door unlocked ('certainly this was safe, else the university would have removed the whole building by now, right?' - was our late-night teenage reasoning)... a single flashlight between the three of us (others waited downstairs outside for us to come open the door). Rough wooden staircase without railings to the second floor. Shelving units built out for hefty weight. Thousands of jars covered in dust lining the shelves. Each with a pickled animal or body part. Some vaguely humanquese. Some very not so.

[Cue lightning and thunder]

We realized the building really was a leftover lab of the Natural History Museum, just like the faded sign claimed. Didn't seemed entered for a decade, at minimum. Salamanders, Skinks, Snakes, Fish, Birds, creatures of all sorts and of all parts, each lovingly hand-labeled and carefully pickled in formaldehyde. Thousands filled the building.

Quickly moving to the first floor (another open staircase without railings) and seeing even more of the same, and getting squeemish, we rushedly left through a regular push-button lock door to the outside, promising the others they really didn't want to take that particular trip through the building.

The Lab building and barn were gone within a year, definitely before 1990. I intended to sneak back in and shoot a short film for a film class, but by the time i had the class, the land was cleared. I can't remember if the Neft/Park View went before or after the Lab - the University lent Neft and Harris Plaza to some pre-Homeland Security 1980's anti-terrorism governmental agency to practice with live ammo in urban spaces over the summer before they tore them down.

I'd bet the NHM would have a drawer full of photos somewhere. cheers, brett

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 11:57 PM

That's such a great story brett! Thanks for sharing.

taxidermy lab / 1950 Sanborn

originally posted by Flyingwedge

I just noticed the Boy's Dormitory at upper right. Is this one that you remember brett? (it appears to be fairly large with a rounded 'corner' at the point)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 28, 2015 at 12:27 AM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I just notice the Boy's Dormitory at upper right. Is this one that you remember brett? (it appears to be fairly large with a rounded 'corner' at the point)

__
That's "Harris Plaza" as the Boys Dorm - reportedly used for the 1932 Olympics, but that was student-passed-down knowledge. The Self-Directed Housing Program used a floor or two of it in the 80s (that program had no Resident Advisors so could be a little Animal House), and there should be a million college-stories about living in the place. But it was closed the summer when I was starting as a freshman, and came down a few years later. USC has had a lot of buildings called 'Harris' over the years. I believe Neft was 'Park View' for USC as well, but it very well could have been offices by the end of its life.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1612havenhurstdrive View Post

But somewhere during 1986-1988, I visited the strange "unknown" taxidermy laboratory building - retrofitted with an excessive amounts of earthquake-damage-preventing I-beam girders and tiebacks - which had no markings that it was affiliated with the campus. And no security. It still just had aged painted signs declaring it was property of History Museum and no easy means of entry. Locked doors, dusty windows, unused all day, dark all night. Many rumors but no facts. (Wish i could remember the exact year now.)
Thanks for the information and that great story! Mischief-minded teenagers breaking into a dusty, abandoned taxidermy lab sounds like the start of a horror movie.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 2:22 AM

'Joe' on flickr has numerous photographs of Los Angeles in the 1980s.....
but he doesn't recall the exact locations in several of his pics. I thought maybe we could help.

He labeled this LA 1980, with.....

"I was told this was Joni Mitchell's offices."

https://www.flickr.com/photos/centra...n/photostream/

One viewer suggested Venice, but Joe didn't think it was Venice.

Does anyone here on NLA recognize this location?
__

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 3:04 AM

'Joe' also posted this contemporary photograph under...

"guess where LA"?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/centra...n/photostream/

An eagle-eyed viewer located this vintage photograph that appear to show the building in question. (I've enlarged the photograph and added the red arrow)

Mary-Austin & Scott at https://www.flickr.com/photos/echo_29/235962531/

Here's the view today / 5959 W. 3rd Street.

gsv

I just noticed the weather-vane is missing.

I was about to leave the area when I noticed this second building on the opposite side of the modern building that had a somewhat similar 'tower'.

gsv

Sure enough, if you look closely, it's also visible in the vintage photograph.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/echo_29/235962531/

Here's a closer look at vintage building #2.

and a detail showing the leaded glass & weather-vane....as well as a secretive balcony.

gsv

I don't know about you, but I'd love to live in that upstairs apartment.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 28, 2015 at 4:28 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos