HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 8:10 PM
Hammer'd

Hm weird, I've never seen this part of Hamilton before.

"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 9:59 PM
video et taceo

i'm not going to lie to you: it's dumpy. but it's also urban and a little charming in a weird way.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 2:21 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

Great set, Flar! You made me want to go back and bike through that part of town as I used to when I was in my teens. The Elmdale Tavern is actually now one of the trendy hotspots in this area, because of its frozen-in-time look. If you're up for pints to check out the inside, it's well worth it.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 3:14 AM

Thanks for the great thread, flar!

Yes, kool maudit, it is "dumpy." In a city that overregulates itself, Hintonburg/Mechanicsville, and its sister neighbourhood on the opposite shoulder of the city centre -- Vanier, represent an edgy/risky, slightly illegitimate dishevelment that will allow for change in ways that more entrenched neighbourhoods like Westboro, the Glebe, New Edinburgh, etc. seem to resist vehemently. That, and the fact that the real estate's cheaper (or at least used to be) and you get an interesting "up-and-coming" neighbourhood with a unique style. Wasn't this area branded "QUAD" (Quartier des Arts/Arts District) given the rising level of arts activity? The Great Canadian Theatre Company's new location is here on Wellington.

Now, let's talk about that sign -- the "Watch for Children, They Might Be Your Own" one (rough translation). Is it me or does that "child" look like an adult woman at a yoga class? Or a pre-natal class practising breathing techniques? And the sign actually reads "Watch for OUR children -- they might be YOURS." Which forces a re-reading of the whole question of "illegitimate" dishevelment. Priceless.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen j View Post
Now, let's talk about that sign -- the "Watch for Children, They Might Be Your Own" one (rough translation). Is it me or does that "child" look like an adult woman at a yoga class? Or a pre-natal class practising breathing techniques? And the sign actually reads "Watch for OUR children -- they might be YOURS." Which forces a re-reading of the whole question of "illegitimate" dishevelment. Priceless.
Thanks for translating that. I wondered what it said. I seriously thought that it said something along the lines of "Do not lay down on railroad tracks".

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the great thread, flar!

Yes, kool maudit, it is "dumpy." In a city that overregulates itself, Hintonburg/Mechanicsville, and its sister neighbourhood on the opposite shoulder of the city centre -- Vanier, represent an edgy/risky, slightly illegitimate dishevelment that will allow for change in ways that more entrenched neighbourhoods like Westboro, the Glebe, New Edinburgh, etc. seem to resist vehemently. .
There is actually a ring around the core that is like that, stretching from Hintonburg/Mechanicsville, through Little Italy, along Gladstone through Centretown, then jumps over to Vanier, goes through the crappy area of Lowertown, follows over the bridge to Hull, which brings you right back around to Rue Eddy/Booth St.

The established neighbourhoods seem to be just outside the edgy neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 6:25 AM

I've been looking forward to an Ottawa treatment from you. This didn't disappoint; great set.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 6:28 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden View Post
Would it be blasphemous of me to say "Ottawa ain't Hamilton"?!
In terms of built heritage one problem is that a lot of our historical areas (especially industrial) were destroyed in order to beautify the capital (to get rid of all the 'blight' including trains)... another problem is that about 20% of Ottawa and 2/3 of Hull was destroyed in a fire in 1900.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 12:28 PM

Love that sign
Attention children this could be you? LOL.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden View Post
Would it be blasphemous of me to say "Ottawa ain't Hamilton"?!
I always enjoy visiting Ottawa, however outside of downtown I find many of the neighborhoods quite banal. Maybe that is being a bit harsh, I don't know. If anyone can show them as interesting it is you. I wait with bated breath!
Anyway flar, after all that drivel....good post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
nice to see your spirit of neighbourhood exploration continues in Ottawa, flar

Ottawa appears to be quite different from Hamilton in terms of built environment... though this unpretentious neighborhood would still fit in well with many of the neighborhoods you featured... I love the gambrel roofs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
In terms of built heritage one problem is that a lot of our historical areas (especially industrial) were destroyed in order to beautify the capital (to get rid of all the 'blight' including trains)... another problem is that about 20% of Ottawa and 2/3 of Hull was destroyed in a fire in 1900.
I have several Ottawa neighbourhood tours in mind, but from my early observations, Ottawa definately ain't Hamilton. Of course, Ottawa has other strengths when it comes to urban matters, they are vastly different cities in almost every way.

Hamilton is quite distinctive in the richness and extent of its urban neighbourhoods and residential architecture. There is a real sense of place, and of being in the city that I don't experience in Ottawa. That said, I am still excited to explore Ottawa's neighbourhoods and will undoubtedly find some treasures, but I won't be able to generate over 40 neighbourhood tours as I did with Hamilton.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 8:25 PM

I guess I should do a weekend trip to that city some time! thanks for the tour, whetted my appetite!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 10:28 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that Hamilton was larger than Ottawa at certain points in the past 100 to 150 years and developed a solid urban fabric earlier (and in an entirely different vernacular) than Ottawa did. Hamilton's "style" is quite distinctive; I find it very different than Toronto's, even (although the two cities are quite close). I suppose, perhaps, it has something to do with the fact that Hamilton still has a considerable amount of mid-Victorian brick structures, while Toronto demolished so many of its for redevelopment in the mid 20th century. You can spot an odd batch here and there east of Church Street and South of Dundas, but there's nothing quite as extensive as Hamilton's contiguous inventory. Ottawa seems more influenced by what's happening in Quebec than in South-Central Ontario in the mid (and even late) 1800s. Hintonburg and central Hull (Gatineau) have a lot in common.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 12:08 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

I loved Ottawa when I visited there back in 2002. It is definately a great city.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 2:53 AM

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind is that Hamilton was larger than Ottawa at certain points in the past 100 to 150 years and developed a solid urban fabric earlier (and in an entirely different vernacular) than Ottawa did. Hamilton's "style" is quite distinctive; I find it very different than Toronto's, even (although the two cities are quite close). I suppose, perhaps, it has something to do with the fact that Hamilton still has a considerable amount of mid-Victorian brick structures, while Toronto demolished so many of its for redevelopment in the mid 20th century. You can spot an odd batch here and there east of Church Street and South of Dundas, but there's nothing quite as extensive as Hamilton's contiguous inventory. Ottawa seems more influenced by what's happening in Quebec than in South-Central Ontario in the mid (and even late) 1800s. Hintonburg and central Hull (Gatineau) have a lot in common.
Good assessment, though don't underestimate the extent of Victorian/very early 20c neighbourhoods that still exist in Toronto. I've really been noticing the French Canadian influence on Ottawa's architecture. That in itself is interesting to me. I see a few bay and gables in Ottawa, but I agree, generally a different vernacular than southern Ontario.
Another observation that applies to Hintonburg specifically: the hodgepodge of single houses suggests to me that many of these were owner built, in contrast to the uniformity of Hamilton/Toronto rowhouses and semis, which were the result of early speculators and land developers capitalizing on rapid population growth.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
but I won't be able to generate over 40 neighbourhood tours as I did with Hamilton.
We should talk. I suspect you could, though perhaps different than Hamilton, but there are more than 40 areas in the Ottawa-Gatineau area that would be worth doing as you did to Hintonburg. Hell, just in the Central area, there is Centretown, the Golden Triangle, Chinatown, Little Italy, The Glebe, Byward Market, Lowertown, Sandy Hill, Old Ottawa East, Old Ottawa South, Vanier, New Edinburgh, and downtown Hull. That's without getting on a bus. Start getting into the old suburbs like Westboro, Carlington, Overbrook, Billings Bridge, and Rockcliffe, you're well over thirty. And then there are the neat little satellite towns like Aylmer and Manotick and we're probably over your 40.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 5:11 PM

wow I lived in ottawa for 20 years and never saw some of those places in your pics. I have to say i don particularly like hintinberg, its a litle run down and dumpy. (why do people love using their balconies for storing their garbage ugh!) I love all the pics of those old brick homes, something vancouver doesnt have and I miss a lot. Thanks for the great set of pics

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 8:04 PM
sick transit, gloria

Excellent pictures of one of the most unique neighbourhoods in Ottawa. From what I can tell many of the homes north of Wellington were worker built to service nearby industry, as the area used to be at the intersection of 2 rail lines. You'll find a somewhat similar pattern in Toronto neighbourhoods such as Earlscourt and Mount Dennis.

And despite the constant threat of complete gentrification it doesn't seem to have changed too much since I left the city. That's good to know.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Good assessment, though don't underestimate the extent of Victorian/very early 20c neighbourhoods that still exist in Toronto. I've really been noticing the French Canadian influence on Ottawa's architecture. That in itself is interesting to me. I see a few bay and gables in Ottawa, but I agree, generally a different vernacular than southern Ontario.
Another observation that applies to Hintonburg specifically: the hodgepodge of single houses suggests to me that many of these were owner built, in contrast to the uniformity of Hamilton/Toronto rowhouses and semis, which were the result of early speculators and land developers capitalizing on rapid population growth.
Yes flar, you're right about speculation. Owner-built structures and worker-housing are also a factor. As Niwell points out -- Earlscourt and Mt. Dennis in the old city of York are like this. Lawren Harris (Group of Seven) painted in Earlscourt back in the 1920s -- he liked seemed to like its chaotic randomness. You follow in his footsteps by documenting the urban landscape the way you do, turning the mundane into something worthy of contemplation.

And you're right, Toronto has a huge inventory of Victorian architecture, but most of it is late Victorian. Relatively little from the mid 1800s in the remnant Georgian style has remained in the centre of the city, unlike Hamilton. Ottawa's early to mid 19th century stock tends to be made of stone or wood rather than brick (though, not universally). You can see this in Byward/Lowertown. This changes as you get closer to the end of the 19th century, where brick starts to predominate over stone (cross Rideau into Sandy Hill and you'll see the difference). And obviously, the building materials are subject to other factors: building codes and municipal fire codes, as well as the socio-economics of the neighbourhoods. Back to the Toronto example, it explains why Earlscourt looks the way it does -- since it grew just beyond the reach of the city of Toronto's fire and building codes in the township of York. I don't know my Ottawa annexation history well enough, but suspect that Hintonburg was likewise still beyond the city limits when it first began to be developed.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 10:48 PM
Closed account

It's hard to tell from this map, but it looks like it was annexed around 1911 or so. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...awaexpands.png

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 11:49 PM
Go Sens!

Yeahh....that's why I left Ottawa...just too boring and not going anywhere...looks depressing as f%ck....stuck in the 70's. But then again, Memphis not exactly booming either....

Seeing KORN Saturday night, should be LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos