HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 5:20 PM

Arrow Ottawa's famous BYWARD MARKET

ByWard Market

The ByWard Market is Ottawa's most vibrant district, offering shopping and dining
for tourists and residents alike. A farmer's market has operated here since the
mid-1800s, but today the area is dominated by restaurants, pubs and night clubs.
Architecturally, there is a successful blend of old and new to create an attractive
and lively urban environment.

Last edited by flar; Nov 30, 2009 at 7:00 PM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 5:57 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Wonderful area (I was there this summer), and another job well done.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 6:59 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Whoa. Ottawa is awesome. I had no idea. Looks like an incredible area.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 7:40 PM

I think this is my favorite Ottawa thread by you yet. I've never seen the Byward neighborhood so up close and in detail like this, it truly looks like a fantastic district! Is there a main drag or is it kind of like Toronto's Kensington where the thing is like a maze and every street has interestingness?

I like the sort of east meets west. It definitely has nods to the Eastern architecture of Montreal, Boston, Philadelphia, and Halifax, but also has that new modern planning style found in Toronto, Vancouver, Denver, and Portland. Very wicked, flar!

Also, these photos seem like they were acquired over a long period of time as many look like summer photos, is that true? Were these mostly taken at the same time, if so, how did you get so many crisp shots with 1 lighting condition?

I really love how walkable it feels in the photos...dense, quaint, compact, etc...something sorely missed in Edmonton.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
I think this is my favorite Ottawa thread by you yet. I've never seen the Byward neighborhood so up close and in detail like this, it truly looks like a fantastic district! Is there a main drag or is it kind of like Toronto's Kensington where the thing is like a maze and every street has interestingness?

I like the sort of east meets west. It definitely has nods to the Eastern architecture of Montreal, Boston, Philadelphia, and Halifax, but also has that new modern planning style found in Toronto, Vancouver, Denver, and Portland. Very wicked, flar!

Also, these photos seem like they were acquired over a long period of time as many look like summer photos, is that true? Were these mostly taken at the same time, if so, how did you get so many crisp shots with 1 lighting condition?

I really love how walkable it feels in the photos...dense, quaint, compact, etc...something sorely missed in Edmonton.
This is the oldest part of Ottawa. It is entirely walkable. There is no main street per se, with major thoroughfares actually marking the boundaries of the area. Rideau on the south, St. Patrick on the north, Sussex on the west and King Edward on the east. It is within walking distance of the main downtown area and increasingly becoming part of downtown. The market has been a centre of commerce since Ottawa's founding and had a raw edge for much of its history. It has been enormously popular with both residents and tourists in recent years and has become a trendy place to live. Lots of new condos have gone up inside and adjacent to the market in recent years.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 9:05 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Thanks!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 10:34 PM
National Capital Region

Nice shots... loved all the East Market photos (the building in my avatar )

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 11:08 PM

Great photos.

You really captured some of the buildings in a way that I don't see them everyday, if that makes any sense.

I found myself noticing something new in a handful of buildings that I walk or drive by every day.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 11:13 PM

Great pictures of one of Canada's best neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 11:37 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Fantastic area!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 1:39 AM

Gread thread. I really enjoyed visiting the market myself when I was in Ottawa two summers ago. One thing I found especially interesting was the extreme bilingualism of the place. I walked into a cheese shop and didn't say a word, as I was curious as to what language I would be addressed in. When I got to the till, I was rung up in French. I would love to know how people determine which language to use? Thankfully I'm bilingual myself, so it didn't matter!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 3:11 AM

Gorgeous and beautiful. So Canada.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 3:26 AM

ee: The market is probably about a 12 block square, it's not a commercial strip along one main street. Also, on most neighbourhood tours I take all the photos on one trip, but these shots were taken at various times over the fall and summer, mostly when I at the market for reasons other than photography.

Zach6668: I know what you mean, there are usually people and other distractions in the market so you don't notice individual buildings sometimes. There are some handsome old buildings down there, the stone ones in particular.

salvius: I agree

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 2:52 PM
Mooderator

Lots of bad headaches from this place.

..and these two.

..couple from here, too.

Great as always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguoustraveller View Post
Gread thread. I really enjoyed visiting the market myself when I was in Ottawa two summers ago. One thing I found especially interesting was the extreme bilingualism of the place. I walked into a cheese shop and didn't say a word, as I was curious as to what language I would be addressed in. When I got to the till, I was rung up in French. I would love to know how people determine which language to use? Thankfully I'm bilingual myself, so it didn't matter!
A lot if not all of the produce vendors in the market are from Eastern Ontario, which is very francophone. Same thing at the Parkdale market west of downtown.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 4:22 PM

Nice pictures. This is Ottawa's main bar district, correct? It sure seems like it could be.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures. This is Ottawa's main bar district, correct? It sure seems like it could be.
I would say so, but it is far more than that. Because of the farmer's market, the specialty food stores, the wide range of shops, and restaurants that cater to both the lunch crowd and evening diners in every price range, it is a lively place morning through night. Thankfully, there will be no transit strike this year so I plan on venturing through the area during the Christmas season.

As a native Ottawan, I am always too busy rushing around to notice the architecture that surrounds us. Thank you flar for the great photos and allowing me to appreciate my own city more.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 4:13 PM

Great thread, flar!!
So many good memories. I lived at the north end of the Market on St. Andrew while I was at U of O. I'm amazed I got any homework done.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 8:22 PM
Eurosceptic

Otta-whoa!

This is by far the most fascinating Ottawa neighborhood I've seen on here... so much delicious food!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 11:44 PM

Very nice area, and great shots.

Wish I knew how you put your photo presentation together. Very professional look.

adios

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 1:39 AM
Reach for the Clouds

I've spent many a night in this area. Great set flar.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos