HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 1:28 AM
memph memph is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,574
North Oakville

This is a new suburban area being built between Dundas St and Highway 407 in the Toronto suburb of Oakville.

Pictures were taken during a bike ride today (Monday, March 22, 2021) between about 5pm and 6:30pm. Weather was approx. 11-14C (51-57F) and sunny.

Map of locations photographed


1) Isaac Park (attached to St Gregory the Great Catholic School)


2) Horton Parquette


3) Shops on Preserve Dr.


4) Walkway along Preserve Pond


5) Kaitting House Parkette
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 1:44 AM
memph memph is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,574
6) Preserve Pond walkway as it continues between some townhouses.


7) Same walkway continuing to George Savage Pond


8) Shops along George Savage Ave


9) Bridge across Osenego Creek greenway.


10) Emily Cline Park
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 2:03 AM
memph memph is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,574
11) George Savage Park (attached to Oodenawi Public School)


Tennis Courts


Playground


Skatepark & basketball court


12) Featherstone Parkette
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 2:40 AM
memph memph is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,574
13) New houses along Merion Gardens Street


14) Shops along Carding Mill Trail


15) Homes along Charles Fay Pond


16) Bowbeer Park. I was surprised how every single playground in North Oakville was in use, even here, where 90% of the homes in the adjacent blocks were still under construction (also 6pm so approaching dinner time).


17) Zachary Pond
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 3:04 AM
memph memph is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,574
18) Dr David R Williams Public School


19) Fowley Park



Homes overlooking Fowley Park. Most of the balconies are furnished with tables and chairs so it would be interesting to come back in the summer to see if any of them are in use.


20) Most of the larger blocks are broken up by mid-block connections like this one.

Last edited by memph; Mar 23, 2021 at 3:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 3:32 AM
memph memph is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,574
21) Apartments at Ernest Appelbe Blvd


22) Squire Parkette


23) Small public space between apartments at Ernest Appelbe Blvd


24) William Rose Park


25) Veronica Tyrrell Parkette


26) Dundas Street, the major thoroughfare on the southern boundary of these developments. The newest homes on the north side front onto Dundas, but the oldest ones on the south side either turn their back to Dundas or front onto access roads. As the lowrise development gets built out, the next stage will be to urbanize Dundas Street, which is considered to be a priority bus corridor (potential BRT candidate at some point) with the development of midrise and highrise condos. A few have been completed already but there are many more under construction and proposed. For now though, it's mostly just a very busy, wide, and high speed automobile corridor.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 3:59 AM
xzmattzx's Avatar
xzmattzx xzmattzx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 5,750
Interesting pictures. There are some decent buildings there, like the school, and the architecture of the houses individually isn't that bad, but it just seems terribly monotonous when everything was clearly built in the last 5 years. The lack of trees makes it worse. I would like to see how a place like this ages in the next 30 years and the tree cover is much better.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 5:17 AM
memph memph is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Interesting pictures. There are some decent buildings there, like the school, and the architecture of the houses individually isn't that bad, but it just seems terribly monotonous when everything was clearly built in the last 5 years. The lack of trees makes it worse. I would like to see how a place like this ages in the next 30 years and the tree cover is much better.
These are the two other schools.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.47785...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.47173...7i16384!8i8192

There's quite a lot of midrises and highrises going up along the main roads at the edges of the neighbourhood too.

And the good thing about the trees is that they're between the sidewalk and the road, rather than on the house side of the sidewalk, so they should eventually overhang both the street and sidewalk. So between that and the houses being built very close to the sidewalk, there should be a pretty strong sense of enclosure when the trees mature. It does look pretty bare now though, especially since winter just ended so it hasn't greened up yet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 7:35 AM
SlidellWx's Avatar
SlidellWx SlidellWx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 1,447
Wow! I won't recognize Dundas the next time we visit my brother-in-law. They live off Oakmead by Castlefield Park. Last time we were up there was in 2018. Thanks for the pictures!
__________________
Slidell, LA...The Camellia City
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 7:23 PM
Doady's Avatar
Doady Doady is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,867
Oakville and Markham are the two Toronto suburbs that are heavily influenced by New Urbanism and maybe you can see that in these pictures, and from quick glance at satellite image. The mayor of Ajax is a planner so maybe it has some more thoughtful design than usual as well (e.g. a continuous public waterfront).

Probably the main thing holding Oakville back is the lack of integrated local transit network. Oakville Transit is just too small. Halton and Peel (minus Caledon) should have been one region from the beginning, and with Halton-Peel Transit we could have had one "GTA West" transit system. The ridership of the Dundas Street corridor is already almost on par with Hurontario-Main, but if the service from Oakville to Mississauga to Etobicoke was integrated, they probably would be building Dundas LRT right now, not just Hurontario LRT.

I know I will be labelled as a "conspiracy theorist" for saying this, but it's just just another example how political divisions are holding the Toronto area back. You can see also the Steeles situation along the Toronto and York boundary as well, how it is killing transit ridership in York and isolating people who live near the boundary.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 7:42 PM
memph memph is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
Wow! I won't recognize Dundas the next time we visit my brother-in-law. They live off Oakmead by Castlefield Park. Last time we were up there was in 2018. Thanks for the pictures!
Yeah, and I didn't even focus on the high density development with this photoset. There's a bunch of highrises and midrises along Dundas that have been built since 2018 or are under construction.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 8:55 PM
memph memph is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Oakville and Markham are the two Toronto suburbs that are heavily influenced by New Urbanism and maybe you can see that in these pictures, and from quick glance at satellite image. The mayor of Ajax is a planner so maybe it has some more thoughtful design than usual as well (e.g. a continuous public waterfront).

Probably the main thing holding Oakville back is the lack of integrated local transit network. Oakville Transit is just too small. Halton and Peel (minus Caledon) should have been one region from the beginning, and with Halton-Peel Transit we could have had one "GTA West" transit system. The ridership of the Dundas Street corridor is already almost on par with Hurontario-Main, but if the service from Oakville to Mississauga to Etobicoke was integrated, they probably would be building Dundas LRT right now, not just Hurontario LRT.

I know I will be labelled as a "conspiracy theorist" for saying this, but it's just just another example how political divisions are holding the Toronto area back. You can see also the Steeles situation along the Toronto and York boundary as well, how it is killing transit ridership in York and isolating people who live near the boundary.
What's the "Steeles situation"?

Oakville is pretty affluent and low density compared to Mississauga, which I think limits transit demand, aside from the demand for commuter service into Downtown Toronto. The newer developments are more mixed income and denser though, so I think that will change over the coming decades. Trafalgar and Dundas can probably support pretty frequent bus service soon, maybe even BRT, and maybe eventually other corridors like Upper Middle, Third Line, Speers, Lakeshore and Dorval-West Oak Trails can support relative frequent transit too.

Although I agree Oakville and Markham are most heavily influenced by new urbanism, the other suburbs still have a lot of similarities. The development densities are basically the same in most new suburban areas regardless of municipality, and that's reflected in a lot of other things like distance to transit, schools and other amenities. Laneways to limit garages/driveways along more prominent streets, or for narrow lot homes (ex townhouses) are also common in a lot of Toronto suburbs. Even the live-work units can be found outside Markham/Oakville, most notably in Milton, but also Brampton, Burlington and Caledon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted May 24, 2021, 11:32 PM
geomorph's Avatar
geomorph geomorph is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Newport Beach
Posts: 2,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post

25) Veronica Tyrrell Parkette

World's ugliest street lights!
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:59 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.