HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 11:13 AM
that prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
In light of what happened to the Notre Dame, I hope we can look at these old photos again in a few years and barely notice the difference.
Yeah, they're rebuilding everything just the way it was. With the same materials and all. It will take years and I would have liked a new contemporary spire instead of the 19th-century one by Viollet-le-Duc. But preservationists and NIMBYs once more had their say and won.

The fire was triggered by a construction site that was to maintain the cathedral. Things like that happen. Construction sites are something not always safe and I think a contemporary spire would have reminded everyone of it in the future.

But a majority of people thinks restoring Viollet-le-Duc's spire is better. It will reopen to the public in a couple of years. But the entire restoration work will take at least a decade.

That kind of medieval monuments require constant maintenance anyway.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 4:10 AM
Hong Kong

On this day - June 8 in ...

2019 - Chiang Mai
This place feels so far from the typical image of Thailand. There are no beautiful tropical beaches, and no traffic jams extending beyond your line of sight. This is a temple town with less crowds than Bangkok, and a more laid-back atmosphere.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 11:16 AM
Hong Kong

On this day - June 15 in ...

2011 - Valencia, Spain
Spain offers wonderful value for money, and lots of fresh orange juice. Isn't that what Valencia is famous for? I lived at the edge of the historic centre and all this was walkable. Further out is the modern district with lots of inspirational yet controversial buildings.

2013 - Dubai
Dubai's long linear skyline is hard to capture from this perspective, although the haze layer adds to the mystique with the Burj being the clear outlier.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos