HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 3:03 PM

I guess I had forgotten it was only 5 floors.

Looks way too short given its neighbor. Unfortunate.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I guess I had forgotten it was only 5 floors.

Looks way too short given its neighbor. Unfortunate.
Planning staff urged the developer to apply for a greater height but the developer decided to avoid the risk.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 10:36 PM

I think this is a really nice development and will stand the test of time however, I am a bit sad it was not a little bit bigger. The back side along Edward is a very nice scale that harmoniously blends into that small neighbourhood. And the street frontage on Alderney is also a really nice scale. I think they could have poked up in the middle though with something of a few extra stories. Maybe gone up to make the whole thing 10 stories. I couldn't see them having much trouble selling it.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I think this is a really nice development and will stand the test of time however, I am a bit sad it was not a little bit bigger. The back side along Edward is a very nice scale that harmoniously blends into that small neighbourhood. And the street frontage on Alderney is also a really nice scale. I think they could have poked up in the middle though with something of a few extra stories. Maybe gone up to make the whole thing 10 stories. I couldn't see them having much trouble selling it.
Not many condo buyers out there and the rental market is very competitive in metro.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 1:54 AM

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 1:00 PM

Any updates? I drove by a few weeks ago and it looked like it was nearing completion.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 5:08 PM

The front exterior looks pretty well done, the safety fence is down and the sidewalk is replaced. It looks good.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
The front exterior looks pretty well done, the safety fence is down and the sidewalk is replaced. It looks good.
Thanks!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 2:52 AM

Seems like not many units have been sold in this one. Anyone know why?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 12:44 AM

I would guess price. Pretty close to what Bishop's Landing and other downtown places are going for.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 2:54 AM

surprised they're trying to sell them rather than rent them at this point

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Querce View Post
surprised they're trying to sell them rather than rent them at this point
I looked into buying there 3 yeas ago and at the time they’d only sold a handful. There were a few units around $350K but most were north of half a million. Ridiculous.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 9:20 PM

According to their website only 7 units are showing as sold with a couple more on hold or pending. Most floors only have one unit occupied.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 1:30 AM

Still looks to be many units available. What gives, I assume the pricing is one factor? Is the developer really just carrying all these empty units, for going on 3-4 years now?! Wow.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 2:38 AM

If the website is correct, only one of the units on the third floor is occupied. Must be nice and quiet!

For those prices I imagine prospective buyers would rather find a place on the peninsula. And I think they've priced the vast majority of millennials out.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
If the website is correct, only one of the units on the third floor is occupied. Must be nice and quiet!

For those prices I imagine prospective buyers would rather find a place on the peninsula. And I think they've priced the vast majority of millennials out.
I wonder if there could be any issue with large portions of the building seemingly unoccupied for so long? I assume the developer must be incurring some cost to inspect, insure, and maintain all those units. I guess the hope of the high price outweighs the ongoing costs? Is there some calculus I am missing here, or is it just deep pockets who will hold until they get their price?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 12:07 PM
Just 183 km north of...

I looked at a few of the condos in this building when they first went on the market. The units were nice but were not 'NICE!', and the big empty lot across Alderney was not mentioned by the selling agent though the view of the harbour and the Halifax skyline was mentioned often. In the Cunard Block thread there was recently mention of 23 appeals. I wonder if many of those appeals aren't from residents of the condos on Lower Water St. who will soon loose there harbour views and likely some value of their units. Interesting to note that the Seapoint condo beside the Dartmouth Yacht Club is now apparently over 80% sold and it's not fully built. There is no danger of a future building obscuring the water view there.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen_Bane View Post
I looked at a few of the condos in this building when they first went on the market. The units were nice but were not 'NICE!', and the big empty lot across Alderney was not mentioned by the selling agent though the view of the harbour and the Halifax skyline was mentioned often. In the Cunard Block thread there was recently mention of 23 appeals. I wonder if many of those appeals aren't from residents of the condos on Lower Water St. who will soon loose there harbour views and likely some value of their units. Interesting to note that the Seapoint condo beside the Dartmouth Yacht Club is now apparently over 80% sold and it's not fully built. There is no danger of a future building obscuring the water view there.
Interesting. Are there any "NICE!" condos in HRM? The Roy?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 4:48 PM

Aside from the large empty lot across the street being a detriment in part (although if developed, there goes the view from here), I think the problem is the price point given the location. Despite some changes in DT Dartmouth in recent years, it still doesn't have a whole lot going for it. It is a strange mix of a few expensive trendy places like the overrated (IMO) Canteen with numerous dives and shabby/dubious businesses. That plus the lack of any core retail (grocery, mainstream apparel, furniture/home decor, etc) means there is little in the immediate neighborhood that a resident can access without driving somewhere else. Which means that unless you work in one of the few offices in DT Dartmouth there is really little reason to spend the kind of money it takes to live in The Avery.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 7:20 PM

Half of the space across the street is not a zoned/assessed property.
The parking area adjacent the rail line could be developed or combined with the portion that is not zoned.
https://www.viewpoint.ca/map#eyJzdW1...IyNTc1NDI2fX19

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth