HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 7:50 PM

COVID-19 coronavirus disease in Ottawa

It's time to start a thread for general discussion. How is your toilet paper supply? I have 41 rolls, which, according to the toilet paper companies, is more like 123 rolls so I will be just fine.

Jokes aside this situation is progressing very rapidly. I am more afraid of the panic than I am of the virus.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
It's time to start a thread for general discussion. How is your toilet paper supply? I have 41 rolls, which, according to the toilet paper companies, is more like 123 rolls so I will be just fine.

Jokes aside this situation is progressing very rapidly. I am more afraid of the panic than I am of the virus.
Not without reason - the supermarkets in town are being/have been stripped of a wide range of products, not just TT and disinfectants. I suspect that many people are contemplating how bad things could become, and how quickly, if the border were to be closed.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 8:55 PM
Living With My Mother

I informally implemented my pandemic plan about two weeks ago. Forgoing all discretionary exits from the house and stocking up on TP, medications, disinfectant wipes, bleach, rubbing alcohol, microwave meals, frozen and canned foods, and a few other essentials. Can’t slip another thing into the freezer. I’d guess that I’m good for four weeks without needing to resupply.

Today three of my four day programs were put on hiatus - with no news yet on my fourth. All of my church events have been cancelled as have my mindfulness sanghas.

I’m wondering if the auto show will get flushed as well?

Plenty of DVDs to watch and maybe some unexpected time to clean my room. But as a H1N1 and H3N2 survivor, I remain very wary of catching this Covid19.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 9:01 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Norman you’ve caught both? Oh boy...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
I informally implemented my pandemic plan about two weeks ago. Forgoing all discretionary exits from the house and stocking up on TP, medications, disinfectant wipes, bleach, rubbing alcohol, microwave meals, frozen and canned foods, and a few other essentials. Can’t slip another thing into the freezer. I’d guess that I’m good for four weeks without needing to resupply.

Today three of my four day programs were put on hiatus - with no news yet on my fourth. All of my church events have been cancelled as have my mindfulness sanghas.

I’m wondering if the auto show will get flushed as well?

Plenty of DVDs to watch and maybe some unexpected time to clean my room. But as a H1N1 and H3N2 survivor, I remain very wary of catching this Covid19.
So I’m not the only one who grabbed a bunch of DVDs! Hit Glebe video yesterday and grabbed a bunch of older critically acclaimed stuff that I’d been meaning to see. Kind of looking forward to it actually.

Seems like a good time to support local businesses. No real issues at our local stores (other than sanitizer), so things are going pretty smoothly. Will probably lay low for at least the next week or so and make my kids read books.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 9:14 PM

Ottawa libraries will be closed starting Monday for 3 weeks so if you are a library user you should stock up on books tomorrow.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 10:07 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Norman you’ve caught both? Oh boy...
Yep. Was hospitalized in January 2015 with H3N2. Also caught something virulent last April from the Perley-Rideau. Including the H1N1 I had in 2010, all three incidents left me feeling certain that I was going to die.

As y’all know I’m in one of the high risk groups - and based in prior experience feel somewhat resigned to catch this one, too.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 3:23 AM

My boss has allowed our health insurance to lapse when changing insurance companies. I complained today and got a bunch of BS. Talk about untimely. But, we are still paying for the insurance. Bah!

This whole issue is moving fast. I am a volunteer and recommendations concerning closure of events are changing by the hour. I just sent out a mass e-mail and it appears that the information was outdated within minutes.

I have never seen anything remotely like this situation in my lifetime.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Not without reason - the supermarkets in town are being/have been stripped of a wide range of products, not just TT and disinfectants. I suspect that many people are contemplating how bad things could become, and how quickly, if the border were to be closed.
Out and about today, the panic seems to have subsided, at least in the core/east end areas I saw.

The panic on Thursday and Friday was much worse in the suburbs than downtown, from what I can gather on various social media.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
Yep. Was hospitalized in January 2015 with H3N2. Also caught something virulent last April from the Perley-Rideau. Including the H1N1 I had in 2010, all three incidents left me feeling certain that I was going to die.

As y’all know I’m in one of the high risk groups - and based in prior experience feel somewhat resigned to catch this one, too.
My sympathies. I had something that turned into pneumonia in 2018, and every minor cold since has become very nasty and resulted in further (thankfully false) pneumonia alerts.

Fortunately the slavedrivers let us start working from home before any workplace policy was formalized, and it'll be official as of Monday until further notice.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Out and about today, the panic seems to have subsided, at least in the core/east end areas I saw.

The panic on Thursday and Friday was much worse in the suburbs than downtown, from what I can gather on various social media.
I've been assuming that the first (only?) wave of panic buying would be over by end of business today (those who couldn't get away to panic buy during the work week). Now I wait to see whether things stay normal once the supermarkets restock over the course of the coming week. Stores could even be a bit slow, as people go out less and given that many folks are now stocked up for a while.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 3:33 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I was actually watching a youtube video from Radio Canada this afternoon. The guy said that things would get bad if the U.S. border is closed. First, we will be out of vegetables and fruits (in short, sources of vitamin). He also said that price of things will go up. In the latter sense, hoarders aren’t completely without reason.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I was actually watching a youtube video from Radio Canada this afternoon. The guy said that things would get bad if the U.S. border is closed. First, we will be out of vegetables and fruits (in short, sources of vitamin). He also said that price of things will go up. In the latter sense, hoarders aren’t completely without reason.
Canada will only "close the border" if the flow of imports can be maintained. I think it's something like three to five days before we start running out of fresh fruit and veg if the border were completely closed. It was noticeable that frozen fruit and veg were among the items cleared out by the panic buying in supermarkets this week.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 3:50 AM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
My sympathies. I had something that turned into pneumonia in 2018, and every minor cold since has become very nasty and resulted in further (thankfully false) pneumonia alerts.

Fortunately the slavedrivers let us start working from home before any workplace policy was formalized, and it'll be official as of Monday until further notice.
Yep, I got pneumonia during the 2009 bus strike. Thanks for mentioning the correlation. It never occurred to me.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 4:40 PM
Busy Beaver

Incentive to stay healthy: I count about 1,670 beds among Ottawa's main hospitals. On a good day about 3 out of 4 of those beds are already occupied, which means 400-some "spare" beds. If 0.5% of Ottawans get sick from the virus and 10% of those cases need hospitalization, we are in Italian shoes and they're not Pradas.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 12:52 AM

The Bytowne and Mayfair cinemas have suspended showings. I was at the Bytowne for their last screening this afternoon. Although weekend matinees are usually packed, I’d say the cinema was only 5-10% occupied.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 1:45 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

AFAIK almost all federal departments are requiring all employees to report to work tomorrow morning. Though with all the school closings there will likely be thousands of one-off telework arrangements happening.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 2:40 AM
Melissa: fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
AFAIK almost all federal departments are requiring all employees to report to work tomorrow morning. Though with all the school closings there will likely be thousands of one-off telework arrangements happening.
Telework has been authorized by treasury board for every employee that is able to do so.

https://twitter.com/TBS_Canada/statu...875715585?s=19

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
Telework has been authorized by treasury board for every employee that is able to do so.
I am a fed... non critical, so no work for 3 weeks

Last edited by DarthVader_1961; Mar 16, 2020 at 2:48 AM. Reason: Spelling correction

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 4:28 AM

Was at Massine's twice on Saturday. First in the morning to stock up because I didn't really have any food at home at all (lol) and it was all very civil and quite well stocked. When I went back in the afternoon for a few items that I'd forgotten, the story was busier but somehow BETTER STOCKED than in the morning. A far cry from the situations I've seen in the suburbs.

I also find it interesting that Ottawa is going so crazy about toilet paper. From my downtown apartment I can literally walk to a toilet paper factory aka Kreuger.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion