HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 11:40 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Stillwater Station [1987 Robertson Rd] | ?m | 10 x up to 27f | Proposed

The City of Ottawa has received an Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendment application to establish a Secondary Plan for a mixed-use development of up to 20-storeys at 1987 Robertson Road in Bell's Corners. The site is located north of Robertson Road, east of Moodie Drive, abuts the Ottawa Greenbelt and is south of the Beachburg Rail Corridor and former Carleton Place Rail Corridor.

The Stillwater Station Master Plan will guide the development of approximately 21 hectares of land in the established community of Bells Corners, creating a compact, transit-supportive, mixed-use community that will inject new residents into the existing neighbourhood and create a new destination.

The lands include two major parcels of land. The first, is the former industrial property used today by a rental supply company with an area of 9.63 hectares and includes a portion of the former Carleton Place rail corridor, used today west of Moodie Drive as a multi-use pathway. This property is owned by Stillwater Station Ltd. and managed by The Properties Group Management Ltd. The second is the Bellwood Estates mobile home community which has an area of 12.22 hectares and contains approximately 250 residential dwellings. The mobile home community has been in place since pre-1965 and is the only residential currently located north of Robertson Road. Both parcels are contemplated within the Stillwater Station Master Plan as required by the Official Plan, though the intensification and development is envisioned entirely within the former industrial lands. The Master Plan contemplates road connections and pathway connections between the two parcels that will develop over time.

The applicant is proposing a new mixed-use development comprised of buildings of varying heights (predominantly residential uses with retail and restaurant uses at the ground levels), two public roads, one private street, one park block and a multi use pathway to connect the development to Roberston Road. A total of 1,925 new dwelling units are anticipated with an additional 3,870 square metres of commercial space.

Architect: RLA Architecture

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0021/details

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
The City of Ottawa has received an Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendment application to establish a Secondary Plan for a mixed-use development of up to 20-storeys at 1987 Robertson Road in Bell's Corners. The site is located north of Robertson Road, east of Moodie Drive, abuts the Ottawa Greenbelt and is south of the Beachburg Rail Corridor and former Carleton Place Rail Corridor.

The Stillwater Station Master Plan will guide the development of approximately 21 hectares of land in the established community of Bells Corners, creating a compact, transit-supportive, mixed-use community that will inject new residents into the existing neighbourhood and create a new destination.
You'll be seeing an image I'm sure of neighbours gathered, arms folded, in a semi circle very soon.

https://bellscorners.wordpress.com/2...bells-corners/ Surprise surprise.....this guy doesn't like it.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
You'll be seeing an image I'm sure of neighbours gathered, arms folded, in a semi circle very soon.

https://bellscorners.wordpress.com/2...bells-corners/ Surprise surprise.....this guy doesn't like it.
That guy is well crazy (on par with Ken gray) and in the also not surprising category a fan of horizon Ottawa. Which seems to be have been out and about Oct 25 nimbying while spreading there standard brand of conspiracy theories.

Hopefully the city can work something out to get that last bit of rail corridor and not have it ruined by an at grade rd. with the connection being to Robertson and Menten private. I also find it weird that this site which is father from transit, other commercial and yet seems to be denser then that of 1500 merivale.

Also, does anyone know who used to own Stillwater station?

Last edited by Williamoforange; Nov 7, 2021 at 12:32 AM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 12:56 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

1987 Robertson Road was purchased by Hadwen Properties Ltd. (The Properties Group) from 1172387 Ontario Inc. for $2,800,000 or $142,639 per acre. It is currently improved with an industrial building. There are plans for future residential development on the site.

http://www.juteaujohnsoncomba.com/ne...-May-Sales.pdf

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 2:05 PM

Looks great. True urban concept. Would love to see this at third tier malls being redeveloped (like South Keys) and suburban parking and vacant lots next to future O-Train Stations.

Of course such a good concept is being proposed in a very random spot with no rapid transit plans on the horizon.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 11:17 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

To me the location seems preposterous. There is no walkability or connection to anything here. Robertson Rd. is just an awful street just like Merivale. If they were to be building this in all those crusty old parking lots abutting the sidewalk I would entertain it.

As it stands now I feel like I have to pass on this.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 3:37 PM

Yeah bad location.. I suspect this may not fit the City's "15-min neighbourhood" concept.

The worst part of the location is it's nowhere near rapid transit and doesn't have a ton of great road access either, so everyone will be driving and clogging up Robertson and Moodie.

I'm all for densification but only where it makes sense, we need to be strategic in where we approve density, not just rubber-stamping everything.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 6:08 PM

Sometimes, you have to put the cart before the horse, and I feel like that might be the case here in Bells Corners. While there's no LRT or BRT here now, the denser things get, the more sense it makes to bring some in. I don't think it would be hard to bring BRT straight up & down Moodie (and perhaps in the future, create a loop through BC over to Bayshore.)

I think this is exactly the type of proposal we should be striving for in almost all of our communities. We can't keep building sprawl-type housing indefinitely, and this helps limit that. In fact, I think we should be pushing for even more density here, given that it is inside the Greenbelt, straddles the bike path (though that's only useful in non-winter months, and admittedly only serves a small portion of the population), and could be served by rapid-transit quite easily in the near-term.

Plus, if this development can do live-work-play well, then it reduces the need to travel elsewhere by car.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 11:21 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
Sometimes, you have to put the cart before the horse, and I feel like that might be the case here in Bells Corners. While there's no LRT or BRT here now, the denser things get, the more sense it makes to bring some in. I don't think it would be hard to bring BRT straight up & down Moodie (and perhaps in the future, create a loop through BC over to Bayshore.)

I think this is exactly the type of proposal we should be striving for in almost all of our communities. We can't keep building sprawl-type housing indefinitely, and this helps limit that. In fact, I think we should be pushing for even more density here, given that it is inside the Greenbelt, straddles the bike path (though that's only useful in non-winter months, and admittedly only serves a small portion of the population), and could be served by rapid-transit quite easily in the near-term.

Plus, if this development can do live-work-play well, then it reduces the need to travel elsewhere by car.
Good points.

Maybe I just need to see some proper renderings and site plans.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 2:26 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 9:01 PM

There are new renderings for this project - posted on devapps back in March.

It has the inevitable RLA style - but in this location that seems perfectly adequate.

https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0120/details

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...01-21-0021.PDF

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 11:52 PM

Why don't they include the adjacent trailer park in any of the renderings????

I remember when I worked at an electronics store and we used to deliver TVs in there. We'd roll in at 9am on a Wednesday and people would be on their lawn chairs drinking beer already. What a life!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 1:48 PM

Yeah I don't understand how a site like this could properly support or warrant this kind of density. It's not central, or close to future LRT/BRT and will likely mean 100% of the residents would require a car, not the kind of development we should be pushing.

Right density/wrong location.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 2:00 PM

With really good transit and bike infrastructure to connect to Moodie, it may not be so bad. Not sure I trust the City and/or NCC would do that though.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 8:31 PM

The more it's built up the more it will justify transit expansion, if we wait for transit to arrive before building anything we'll never see anything done.

In the short term I'd expect everyone living there will probably own a car, but they won't necessarily have to use it for everything. It may even attract a lot of WFH residents.

There's a huge Loblaws right at Moodie and Robertson, and a bunch of other retail and services within 1.5KM - or ~15-20minutes on foot.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 6:55 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

I do like how the massing steps up at roughly 4 different heights. Being Ottawa these will be built one by one over many years so that could play well into mass transit over time.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 8:13 PM

I believe that you will find that the “huge Loblaws” is actually a relatively old, small, one. That Loblaw’s store complex, which includes the vacant Zeller’s store, is ripe for redevelopment (with a larger Loblaw’s.)

Bells Corners has an LCBO, a Beer Store, three grocery stores (Metro, Loblaw's, and Freshco) a (smaller) Canadian Tire, and many other amenities right along the main drag. This will be near the middle, as long as there is a direct pedestrian connection from Stillwater Station to Robertson Rd, so all of that is easily available. (I'm not talking about having to walk out the driveway to Moodie and then along Moodie to Robertson.) It looks as if there is a planned MUP to be that connection. That needs to happen.

As for public transit; if the City would adjust its Baseline BRT so that it was no longer planned to terminate at Bayshore, and fed it, instead, through Bells Corners, and north on Moodie to the DND campus, then there would be reasonable transit at the entrance of Stillwater Station. People could travel to DND, to Moodie Station (for the Confederation Line), or travel east on the BRT.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
I believe that you will find that the “huge Loblaws” is actually a relatively old, small, one. That Loblaw’s store complex, which includes the vacant Zeller’s store, is ripe for redevelopment (with a larger Loblaw’s.)
I remember shopping at this Loblaws back when I was did a co-op work-term in 1991, and lived in Bells Corners. I suspect the Loblaws complex will be redeveloped for mixed use sooner than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
As for public transit; if the City would adjust its Baseline BRT so that it was no longer planned to terminate at Bayshore, and fed it, instead, through Bells Corners, and north on Moodie to the DND campus, then there would be reasonable transit at the entrance of Stillwater Station. People could travel to DND, to Moodie Station (for the Confederation Line), or travel east on the BRT.
Even with BRT to Bayshore, the 88 would still likely run through Bells Corners, providing service to both Algonquin and Kanata and the 57 would still provide service to both Bayshore and Moodie.

Regardless of the BRT route, the issue is it will be a bit of a walk to get to either Robertson or Moodie to catch whatever bus is available. None of the routes would (or should) meander their way into this development.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 8:58 PM

You guys are raggin' on Robertson Road, but I don't see how this is any different than Farrhaven or any other random Innes Road section of Orleans, OR the dreaded Meadowlands parking lot condos at Toys'R'us. How is this different? Explain to me.

Except that Robertson is an eclectic mix of 80's mini-malls that are already well developed and ready to serve the additional population, with a fun brewery in the back there, and a bunch of commercial condos ripe for providing employment. I've always found this area to be much like any main drag in a Northern Ontario 50k population town with Highway 17 or 7 whipping through it.

For transit, why can't these be built and a spur introduced to any random bus schedule that goes past? or are we not allowed density anymore unless it's on the O-Train main line?

I just feel bad for the trailer park people who lost not only their sanitary systems, but now their homes.

Edit: Having actually looked at the map, you also have a library, schools, park lands, and all the LCBO, shoppers, groceries, pizza, hamburgs, suzie Q's, all within a 2km circle.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
You guys are raggin' on Robertson Road, but I don't see how this is any different than Farrhaven or any other random Innes Road section of Orleans, OR the dreaded Meadowlands parking lot condos at Toys'R'us. How is this different? Explain to me.

Except that Robertson is an eclectic mix of 80's mini-malls that are already well developed and ready to serve the additional population, with a fun brewery in the back there, and a bunch of commercial condos ripe for providing employment. I've always found this area to be much like any main drag in a Northern Ontario 50k population town with Highway 17 or 7 whipping through it.

For transit, why can't these be built and a spur introduced to any random bus schedule that goes past? or are we not allowed density anymore unless it's on the O-Train main line?

I just feel bad for the trailer park people who lost not only their sanitary systems, but now their homes.

Edit: Having actually looked at the map, you also have a library, schools, park lands, and all the LCBO, shoppers, groceries, pizza, hamburgs, suzie Q's, all within a 2km circle.
Not to mention the Moodie light rail station only 1700 meters away. I'd hoof that twice a day 8 months of the year if I lived there and worked downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs