HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 3:39 PM

This construction, is this simply the demolition/re-construction of that decrepit parking garage on the east end of the building?
Or is this actually the talked-about expansion getting underway?

Also, the mall won't be accesible from Richmond Road. Will it be accesible from the westbound Queensway as that has a direct access to Woodridge? I know that the eastbound Queensway will have to access from Carling as they have to travel on Richmond to access the mall. Or they can exit at Pinecrest and simply turn around?

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelKazan View Post
This construction, is this simply the demolition/re-construction of that decrepit parking garage on the east end of the building?
Or is this actually the talked-about expansion getting underway?
It's both...that parking garage is where the expansion is being built. This is phase one, I'm pretty sure construction will start right after demolition.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
It's both...that parking garage is where the expansion is being built. This is phase one, I'm pretty sure construction will start right after demolition.

they are faster at planning this expansion than the Rideau Center!!!!!

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 2:34 PM

I haven't seen any signs indicating that the westbound exit which goes under Richmond road and to Bayshore Ave would be closed, so I'm assuming it'll stay open...

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 2:39 PM

It's "Rideau Centre", not "Rideau Center". This is Canada -not America, for god's sake.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 8:09 PM

From new information I have received:

Construction starts May 22nd (It has started today, there's 2 excavators on site and a crew is doing prep work.)

Bayshore access via Richmond Road closes June 4th. I have a feeling they're doing something to the bridge that takes you from Richmond Road right into the 2nd floor parking structure of Bayshore Shopping Center.

Construction of "Phase I" is supposed to last until Janurary 2013.

I did a little digging on the City of Ottawa website to see what exactly each phase is.

From this document: http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...02-12-0001.PDF

"Phase I" is described as follows:

Quote:
1. Demolition of East Parking Structure / Construction of the New East Retail Addition
This phase of the development proposal includes the demolition of the east parking
structure (next to the existing Zellers) with a loss of approximately 800 parking spaces
and the construction of a new three-storey, approximately 16,300 m² retail addition.
The new floor area is expected to accommodate new commercial tenants, some new to
the Ottawa Market, as well as an expanded and relocated food court.

Last edited by Lakche; May 22, 2012 at 8:21 PM. Reason: Adding new information

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 11:10 PM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakche View Post
From new information I have received:

Construction starts May 22nd (It has started today, there's 2 excavators on site and a crew is doing prep work.)

Bayshore access via Richmond Road closes June 4th. I have a feeling they're doing something to the bridge that takes you from Richmond Road right into the 2nd floor parking structure of Bayshore Shopping Center.

Construction of "Phase I" is supposed to last until Janurary 2013.

I did a little digging on the City of Ottawa website to see what exactly each phase is.

From this document: http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...02-12-0001.PDF

"Phase I" is described as follows:
That's going to be fun during the Christmas getting access to the mall and exiting it. Hopefully with the improvements to transit in Stittsville, that means more overall 96's so maybe that will alleviate some the accessibility pains via car.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 6:13 PM

Construction kicks off for Bayshore expansion

Quote:
Construction kicks off for Bayshore expansion
Alison Sandor @1310alison May 25, 2012 13:38:28 PM

OTTAWA, On. -- Construction has officially began for Bayshore Shopping Centre's new 160,000 sq. ft. expansion.

A bulldozer began ripping apart a portion of the old parade Friday following a groundbreaking ceremony at the mall.

"Levels one and two of the Zellers premises will be redivided to accommodate new retail space, that features two large format tenants," said David Baffa, with real estate giant Ivanhoé Cambridge. "The third level of the expansion will be entirely occupied by a new Target department store."

The food court will also be relocated and remodeled, and a new parade will be built. When complete, Bayshore will have 10 per cent more parking than it currently has.

The mall's fixtures and pillars will also be updated to give it a more modern look, and it will be painting.

In total, there will be 56 new stores, but exactly which ones will move in isn't yet known.

The $200-million project is slated to be completed in 2015, and is expected to add another 400 employees to the mall's current 3,000 member work force.

Ottawa-based construction firm PLC has the contract for the work. It will take nearly 1,000 workers to build the addition to the mall.
http://www.1310news.com/news/local/a...hore-expansion

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 12:50 AM

You know what I would really like to see come back to Bayshore & the Ottawa area ... The Disney Store.

Also; does anyone know if there are any renders/drawings of what the expansion will look like along with the new floor plan?

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 9:35 PM

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/technol...539/story.html

Includes 3 pics of Bayshore expansion.

Last edited by J.OT13; May 29, 2012 at 9:46 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 10:29 PM
Citizen-at-large

Someone moved swiftly to prevent confidentiality leaks through this thread... too bad for those of us eager for information about the project, but understandable.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 2:08 AM

About the tenants - Sears moving to Bayshore? too close to Carlingwood, unless that store is closed and replaced which I think is highly unlikely. Also not enough space to accomodate - they would need an extra 500,000 square feet in order to add that and other additional tenants as well.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
About the tenants - Sears moving to Bayshore? too close to Carlingwood, unless that store is closed and replaced which I think is highly unlikely. Also not enough space to accomodate - they would need an extra 500,000 square feet in order to add that and other additional tenants as well.
A Sears in Bayshore would be able to grab the Kanata population and the Carlingwood store could handle some of central Ottawa's population. I think it's doubtful that Sears would move to Bayshore with a Carlingwood store open. I know it's the wrong thread but any word if Sears is moving into the entire old IKEA building? If so, that's also two very close stores (Pinecrest & Carlingwood).

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
A Sears in Bayshore would be able to grab the Kanata population and the Carlingwood store could handle some of central Ottawa's population. I think it's doubtful that Sears would move to Bayshore with a Carlingwood store open. I know it's the wrong thread but any word if Sears is moving into the entire old IKEA building? If so, that's also two very close stores (Pinecrest & Carlingwood).
Still no official word if it's Sears or Sears Home. There was an article a while ago when they announced that Sears Rideau was closing that they were going to try a new large format stand-alone Sears (not in a mall) in the City's west end, so it might be the Pinecrest one (or an outlet at Tanger possibly?)

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Still no official word if it's Sears or Sears Home. There was an article a while ago when they announced that Sears Rideau was closing that they were going to try a new large format stand-alone Sears (not in a mall) in the City's west end, so it might be the Pinecrest one (or an outlet at Tanger possibly?)
I missed that news, that's interesting...

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 7:43 PM

A more detailed report in the OBJ today:
http://www.obj.ca/Real%20Estate/Non-...0M-expansion/1

I especially like this part 'The mall itself will undergo a modernization makeover, with stainless steel fixtures instead of the current brass, more neutral wall colours and touch-screen sliding doors at entrances.'

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 12:02 AM

Demolition in progress:

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 2:09 PM

My favourite line from the OBJ article is: "The new stores will be making their own announcements in the coming weeks, Mr. Pelletier said, and mall representatives were unable to disclose who else will be moving in after the expansion."

I think an H&M would work nicely in Bayshore. Also, as long as it doesn't steal too much traffic away from the Westboro location, another Lululemon would also work in my opinion.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 3:49 AM

Demolition update: (Taken last week)

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
You know what I would really like to see come back to Bayshore & the Ottawa area ... The Disney Store.

Also; does anyone know if there are any renders/drawings of what the expansion will look like along with the new floor plan?
Even in Toronto Eaton Centre, the Disney Store is gone.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs