HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 12:04 AM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 3:10 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Orléans office complex announced, no tenants yet

By David Reevely, OTTAWA CITIZEN September 12, 2013

OTTAWA — Hoping that higher-class office space will attract the high-end jobs that Orléans has always found so elusive, politicians and developer Groupe Brigil announced plans for an office and conference hall complex near Trim Road Thursday morning.

The only thing missing is a tenant.

The plans include a 370,000-square-foot office building, medium-sized by downtown standards but by far the largest of its type in the east end, plus a 67,000-square-foot hall for big meetings and parties and some more routine retail space, on a piece of land north of Highway 174. It’ll also have “a residential component,” 800 units more in keeping with other Brigil projects nearby — this proposal is called “Petrie’s Landing III,” following two previous phases that have been focused on housing.

In theory, there’ll be room for up to 2,100 workers, though it’s not yet clear who they’ll work for: Often announcements of this type feature politicians and a big-time employer, with the builder taking a back seat. In this case, it’s clear Brigil is making an investment and taking a risk, but the hope is that having the office space will attract employers, not that employers want to move in and need office space to move into.

“If you build it, they will come,” Coun. Bob Monette argued. He’s shepherded the plans for months and has fought at the council table to get “good jobs” to Orléans, including with subsidy programs.

Brigil first presented a version of the plan in public last March, at a meeting of city council’s planning committee. At the time, it involved an expansion of the nearby trades-education centre run by La Cité collégiale, an idea that appears to have evaporated.

In addition to having no announced tenants, this project has a second catch: It means giving up land for residential uses that the city’s official land-use plan says is reserved for employment. Brigil’s property is in one of two big chunks of Orléans that are saved for office parks and industry (the other is south of Innes Road), land that’s been chipped away for residential and retail over the years because it’s been worth a lot more as subdivisions and box stores than as office buildings nobody wants. In fact, Orléans has both the fewest jobs of any of Ottawa’s suburbs and the smallest share of available employment land.

A study the city commissioned as part of the overhaul of its citywide land-use plan it’s conducting now pointed out the problem in Orléans in particular: “If conversion is not tightly disciplined, the expectation of conversion will cause price inflation and encourage other owners to withdraw their lands in anticipation of potential conversion. The decision process should be clearly biased in favour of protecting employment lands,” said the report, written by Danix Management Ltd.

In this case, the 2,100 jobs the development could bring would be better than the city’s targets for the property, even including the part Brigil wants to carve off for housing. But it does mean the project needs more than routine zoning approval: it needs a more extensive amendment to the city’s land-use plan.

The city has also struggled with properties where developers are supposed to include both housing and big employment uses, so much so that the drafts of the current official-plan revision recommend scrapping a different designation that requires mixing the two. What happens too often is that developers promise both, usually with housing first and the offices to follow, but they never get around to building the offices.

In this case, Brigil promises the conference and banquet hall will be in the first phase but it’s otherwise not clear what’s to be built when.

dreevely@ottawacitizen.com

ottawacitizen.com/greaterottawa
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/busines...144/story.html

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 3:27 AM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 4:05 AM
National Capital Region

Hmmm no tenant and needs an OPA for conversion of employment lands to residential?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Hmmm no tenant and needs an OPA for conversion of employment lands to residential?
In listening to the Councillor on the radio, he indicated that the public would have the opportunity to comment during the OPA process....but the reporter indicated that they hoped for construction to begin in January 2014...wow what a quick processing time.

Listening to Monette, the whole process seemed like a necessary evil and that the outcome was already decided. Not much different than the publics perception of EA's and traffic studies done for developers.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 1:40 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
In listening to the Councillor on the radio, he indicated that the public would have the opportunity to comment during the OPA process....but the reporter indicated that they hoped for construction to begin in January 2014...wow what a quick processing time.

Listening to Monette, the whole process seemed like a necessary evil and that the outcome was already decided. Not much different than the publics perception of EA's and traffic studies done for developers.
They must have just looked at the 4 month timeline on the City's website for OPA's http://ottawa.ca/en/development-appl...plan-amendment

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 3:58 PM

Another justification for LRT to Trim.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 2:41 PM

Amazingly a site plan has been filed for tower 2.

Looks different than tower 1. Still 15 floors

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__9YQMH7

This place was the worst condo address in history: 8911 North Service Road.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 4:15 PM

I kinda like the tower and design but I feel like it really won't match with the Phase 1 tower (black & white vs. beige & blue). Obviously I don't want a Claridge Plaza fiasco with 4 identical towers right next to each other but they could've at least try to keep the same colours but different height and design.

A) I still don't understand really WHO wants to buy these condos as I thought people who want small low-maintenance condos are usually people who want to be centrally located and within walking distance of amenities while people who usually decide to move to Orleans usually do so because they want more space...

B) This area also looks like a Lebreton Flats 2.0. Why isn't everything around there developping? I know there's the community proposal on the right side of Petrie's Landing but what about on that N. Service Road, next to the new Cite Collegial trades building or all of the intersection of 174 and Innes? All deadspace... Who owns these lots? This is a major intersection and will be has a major OC transpo stop and will also host a major LRT station, why isn't this is TOD?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I kinda like the tower and design but I feel like it really won't match with the Phase 1 tower (black & white vs. beige & blue). Obviously I don't want a Claridge Plaza fiasco with 4 identical towers right next to each other but they could've at least try to keep the same colours but different height and design.

A) I still don't understand really WHO wants to buy these condos as I thought people who want small low-maintenance condos are usually people who want to be centrally located and within walking distance of amenities while people who usually decide to move to Orleans usually do so because they want more space...

B) This area also looks like a Lebreton Flats 2.0. Why isn't everything around there developping? I know there's the community proposal on the right side of Petrie's Landing but what about on that N. Service Road, next to the new Cite Collegial trades building or all of the intersection of 174 and Innes? All deadspace... Who owns these lots? This is a major intersection and will be has a major OC transpo stop and will also host a major LRT station, why isn't this is TOD?
This probably won't be an LRT station until at least 2050. I am not sure what you are expecting on what presently is the very edge of development.

The appeal to some of this location is the neighbouring beach and natural areas and the fact that it is on Ottawa River shoreline with the Ottawa River bike trail reaching that far. Not everybody who wants condo living wants to live downtown or some other highly urbanized location. Maybe the buyers are children of families from Prescott-Russell or Orleans residents who are downsizing. There are more motivations for buying housing than you think.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 5:33 PM

Quote:

I suspect most of the market for these are downsizers from the Orleans/Cumberland area that wish to remain in the Orleans/Cumberland area as they know and love the place and have friends etc there. Those same people have cars so the lack of stuff in walking distance is not a big deal.

The market isn't that huge. There was originally supposed to be several towers by now.

The units in the first tower were not that small. Only 6 units to a floor. They were pretty pricey which again points to people that can afford these have cars.

Much of the land in that area is owned by Brigil, but I don't have a parcel by parcel details.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 6:28 PM

2050?? I was sure LRT was getting extended to 174/Innes in phase 2, no? Or did I see it in one of those "dream transit plans" and get mixed up?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 6:55 PM

Quote:
2050?? I was sure LRT was getting extended to 174/Innes in phase 2, no? Or did I see it in one of those "dream transit plans" and get mixed up?
It is extended to Place D'Orleans. This is further out at Trim.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 3:34 AM
National Capital Region

I think these are new renders

http://www.brigil.com/communautes/javitch.php#

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 6:57 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

A proposal has been received by Brigil to vary the heights for the 3 remaining towers ( II, III and IV) to be built on the Petrie's Landing 1 property. The intent of this proposal is to provide some variation and interest to the skyline (as opposed to all towers being built to the same height). The net effect of this vision calls for a slight increase in the permitted height for Towers 2 to 4 as follows: Tower 2 by one floor, Tower 3 by three floors and Tower 4 by one floor.

Development application:
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__9EGZEB

Last edited by rocketphish; Nov 28, 2014 at 7:29 PM. Reason: There are too many Petrie's Landing threads!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 7:28 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

For reference:

Petrie's Landing 1 (Tower I - completed, Towers II, III, IV and Phase 5 retirement residence - all proposed)
http://www.brigil.com/communautes/petries-landing-1.php
8900 Jeanne D'Arc Blvd North (aka North Service Rd) @ Trim Rd
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__9EGZEB

Petrie's Landing 2 (multi-building residential development - under construction)
http://www.brigil.com/communautes/petries-landing-2.php
8465 Jeanne D'Arc Blvd North (aka North Service Rd) @ Prestige Circle
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__9TYF0Y

Petrie's Landing 3 (multi-building residential development - proposed)
http://www.brigil.com/communautes/javitch.php
approx 8700 Jeanne D'Arc Blvd North (aka North Service Rd)

Last edited by rocketphish; Nov 28, 2014 at 11:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 5:27 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Some new renderings of the proposed Petrie's Landing Tower II, by NEUF Architects:

from: http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__9YQMH7

Last edited by rocketphish; Sep 20, 2016 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Rehosting imagery for permanence.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 4:44 AM

Things are happening...
[IMG]IMG_1483 by harley613[/IMG]

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 12:41 PM

The new renders look kind of Miami-esque... anyone agree?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 12:25 AM

Agreed. Different from what we usually see around here, a bit like le Viu.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs