HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 4:06 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Very sorry to hear of this, take care until you return.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 3:53 PM
BANNED

Echoing what everyone else said. Take care.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 4:32 PM

Very sorry to hear, the work you both put in will be missed.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 4:43 PM

Thanks for everything you contributed to the city and especially to the readers of this forum.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 5:01 AM

Thank you everyone. Your support really means a lot to us generally, and your kind words have made this difficult time less awful. I never imagined that when I joined this forum of people who would gripe about seafoam spandrel that I would find such a caring community.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 8:01 PM

Condolences to both of you. May happier days return.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 4:12 PM

Man, do we have a beautiful province! Since there is no traveling outside of BC this summer, I hit the road and drove up north this past week, staying in places like Smithers, Terrace, Kitimat and Prince Rupert. It's a long drive to get up there, but once you reach the mountains again in Smithers, the scenery gets rugged and amazing.

I did find Smithers a very pleasant village with snowcapped Hudson Bay Mountain as the majestic backdrop. From there onwards the drive is spectacular and Terrace is surrounded by mountains and the Skeena River. It isn't the most beautiful town but the area is beautiful.

Ended up staying at Lakelse Lake Provincial Park for three nights and it was first class camping experience. It is incredible how quiet campgrounds up in the north are, compared to Metro Vancouver area, and finding a spot even on short notice is not a problem.

One of our day trips was a drive to Kitimat which I really enjoyed. There is a lot going on in this small town and it is incredible to see brand new hotels and houses, that the construction boom is enabling. The Alcan smelter is massive and they are making good progress in building the LNG terminal. There were also places along the highway there were you couldn't quite see the pipeline under construction, but the truck traffic and signs made it clear that progress is being made.

Our drive to Prince Rupert was spectacular and the road there is one of the most spectacular drives in BC. Very close to Icefields Parkway in Alberta. The town itself is very picturesque around the passenger terminal but very quiet this year with no Alaska cruises. I hope all the local business can survive this rut.

One cannot really see it so well, but Prince Rupert has a massive sea terminal that will ultimately match the size of Port of Vancouver in terms of annual cargo capacity. It is somewhat unusual to find this huge terminal in middle of nowhere but it must be providing well for the town with well-paid jobs. It is also delightful that most of the cargo is transported on rails and there is no crazy truck traffic along Highway 16.

If there is one word of advise I would give to someone traveling in the area, that is to avoid driving Nisga'a Highway beyond Nisga's Memorial Lava Bed Provincial Park. The road does connect the village of New Aiyansh with Stewart-Cassiar Highway but it is 50 kilometres of narrow and pothole-filled gravel road with almost no traffic and plenty of bears. You don't want to lose a tire on that road and we had to drive super carefully to make it.

We chose not to visit Stewart at this point, as weather was turning for the worse and there is no visiting Hyder on the Alaskan side of the border due to the border closure. I am sure they look awesome and the views only get better the further north you go. Next time!

It was a pretty intense 3500-kilometer road trip but I have to give it to Ministry of Transportation for how amazing quality roads up north are. It cannot be cheap to maintain thousands of kilometers of road to those standards but paving was excellent and passing lanes are plenty.

Should anyone be thinking what to do this summer, I can at least warmly recommend this drive! Last summer we also did a round trip to Bella Coola, which is also an amazing drive combined with a ferry from Port Hardy. The same ferry can also take you directly to Prince Rupert which will easily save you 1000 kilometers of driving and is highly recommended for the views!

Any other road trips people are planning to do this summer?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
It was a pretty intense 3500-kilometer road trip but I have to give it to Ministry of Transportation for how amazing quality roads up north are. It cannot be cheap to maintain thousands of kilometers of road to those standards but paving was excellent and passing lanes are plenty.
Did parts of the road trip have icy or any snow still?

I have not driven that far North, but have done some shorter road trips to Eastern BC and Western AB. I will say, most of the highway roads are to phenomenal standards. Are these Federally maintained? It's amazing how these 1000s of KMs are maintained so well, but locally it takes ages for simple potholes to get fixed.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 10:32 PM

Highways between mentioned locales are running at the valley bottom and are very low altitude. The only place where we were above the altitude of 1000 meters was on Highway 97 south of Williams Lake.

If one would be to continue Stewart-Cassiar Highway further up north towards Watson Lake in Yukon, there is a high-elevation mountain pass where snow can be encountered even during summer months. We didn't drive that far this time around as doing the Highway 37 / 97 loop would require entering Yukon, which currently has its border closed as far as I understand.

I totally agree with you about the road quality which I found most remarkable as winter in these parts of BC is pretty tough on road surface and there is a lot of heavy truck traffic. Still, top notch quality everywhere we went.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 8:36 AM
Yunus Üstünol

What would Vancouver be if U.S-Canada border was at the 48th Parallel ?