HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
It looks like construction has started for the Redlands - San Bernardino light-rail project.

Here’s what Redlands, San Bernardino lanes rail work will close the week of Jan. 20

Construction is well under way in downtown Redlands Wednesday Jan. 15, 2020, for a passenger rail line. (Photo by Will Lester, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin/SCNG)

By Jennifer Iyer |
Redlands Daily Facts
January 18, 2020

"Work on the railroad tracks between Redlands and San Bernardino will close lanes, but not full streets the week of Monday, Jan. 20.

Intermittent weekday lane closures associated with the Redlands Passenger Rail project are scheduled between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. for University, Eureka and Orange streets in that city, and between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. on Tippecanoe Avenue in San Bernardino..."

https://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/2...eek-of-jan-20/
This is the first I've heard of Redlands light rail... Is this the same thing as Arrow DMU service? If we are talking about the same thing, it's technically heavy rail due to use of DMU and it was originally envisioned as a Metrolink extension of the SB line. But SANBAG decided to build it and brand it as a separate service because it was entirely within the County of SB. (compare to OC and LA which just funds Metrolink branded service within their respectively county borders)

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 12:22 PM

bzcat-- You are correct, I mislabeled it. It is the Arrow DMU service.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 8:53 PM

I hope this isn't an April Fools Day joke:

Temporary full closure of Wilshire Boulevard to expedite the construction on the Metro Purple Line Project

Link: https://www.canyon-news.com/temporar...ulevard/106969

I thought about this weeks ago; with all the lightly trafficked roadways, now would be a great time to do road maintenance, let alone working on the Metro Purple Line extension.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I hope this isn't an April Fools Day joke:

Temporary full closure of Wilshire Boulevard to expedite the construction on the Metro Purple Line Project

Link: https://www.canyon-news.com/temporar...ulevard/106969

I thought about this weeks ago; with all the lightly trafficked roadways, now would be a great time to do road maintenance, let alone working on the Metro Purple Line extension.
Yes, and with all of the people out of work now. I don’t want to jeopardize anyone’s health but if sanitary conditions can be maintained, then have two or three shifts per day and let’s get these important infrastructure investments completed.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 8:08 PM

CA Announces 2020 Transit Infrastructure Capital Grants

There are some good projects here, including improvements to Metrolink, bus electrification, and improvements to the Surfliner corridor.

CA Announces 2020 Transit Infrastructure Capital Grants

By Joe Linton
Apr 21, 2020
Streetsblog

"Today the California State Transportation Agency (CalSTA) announced the latest round of Transit and Intercity Rail Capital Program (TIRCP) grants. TIRCP receives money from both the Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund and and car registration fees in S.B. 1.

CalSTA awarded $500 million to seventeen recipients. The state funding is complemented by matching funds from other federal, state, and local monies, with local and other state funds, so these grants leverage more than $4.9 billion in additional investment, according to CalSTA..."

https://cal.streetsblog.org/2020/04/...apital-grants/

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 9:12 PM

If we can save that much time from a short term closure then we should be doing this throughout the entire project and just get it done.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 12:47 PM
Show me the blueprints

Anybody see the Science channel show??

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 8:47 PM

Crenshaw line

Here is a good presentation (May 7) from the LA MTA about the Crenshaw line light-rail project.

https://media.metro.net/2020/clax_vi..._2020-0507.pdf

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 9:25 PM

From welikela.com:

Metro Wraps Decking at Beverly Hills Station 7 Months Early

Photo: Metro’s The Source

Some good news for the Purple Line Extension project. Metro has finished decking for the Wilshire/Rodeo station in Beverly Hills seven months ahead of schedule.

According to a post from Metro’s The Source, this is because the city of Beverly Hills was able to close a portion of Wilshire Blvd. thanks to reduced traffic due to COVID-19. This stretch of Wilshire between Crescent and El Camino drives reopened on June 14.

What does decking mean? It’s essentially a process where workers excavate a street and replace it with a temporary street. Then, traffic can pass overhead while construction work is done below.

Metro had originally anticipated doing the decking work between August 2020 and January 2021, only closing Wilshire over the weekends. But as people followed the Stay at Home orders, thus reducing traffic citywide, Beverly Hills approved Metro’s request for an earlier closure in late March.

It’ll still be some time before you can take the train to Beverly Hills. The Wilshire/Rodeo and Century City stations aren’t expected to open until 2025. The first section of the extension, which includes the Wilshire/La Brea, Wilshire/Fairfax, and Wilshire/La Cienega stations, is scheduled to open in 2023.

Link: https://www.welikela.com/metro-wraps...Laun_sNgrGaEvg

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 9:06 PM

Inglewood people-mover

Details Emerge for Proposed Inglewood People Mover

Urbanize LA
Aug. 12, 2020

Image courtesy of Urbanize LA.

"A presentation scheduled for the August 14 meeting of Metro's South Bay Service Council offers a look at updated plans for an automated people mover system connecting the Crenshaw/LAX Line with the new NFL stadium now rising in Inglewood..."

https://urbanize.la/post/details-eme...d-people-mover

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 6:22 PM

L.A. City Is Nixing Metro’s Pedestrian-Priority Plans for Union Station

https://la.streetsblog.org/2020/08/1...union-station/

Quote:

- For the past half-decade, Metro has been planning upgrades to Union Station to make the site easier and safer to access on foot and by bike. The L.A. Union Station Forecourt and Esplanade Improvements project includes upgrades on the Union Station grounds, which Metro owns, as well as upgrades to nearby streets, which are controlled by the city of Los Angeles. --- The latest version of the project plan removes and waters down some core pedestrian aspects of the project. Why? Because, even in its most transit-accessible and most heavily walked core downtown areas, Los Angeles city departments are unwilling to prioritize the safety and convenience of people walking – instead they are insisting on car-centric standards that foster more driving.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 9:18 PM

I don't think that walkability around LAUS is a priority. It is mostly used as a transfer station between Metrolink / Megabus / Amtrak and Metro.

I doubt that very many people who use the station live in or are interested in the area.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
I don't think that walkability around LAUS is a priority. It is mostly used as a transfer station between Metrolink / Megabus / Amtrak and Metro.

I doubt that very many people who use the station live in or are interested in the area.
????

My partner used to work at White Memorial Medical Center and took public transportation there from our place in South Pasadena. Trust me, there are many people who live and walk in the area, many who go to Olvera Street/La Placita. Walkability around Union Station would be a very good thing.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 5:43 AM

I said that it wasn't a priority.

There are some attractions in the area, but, beyond Olvera Street, none of them are that big of a draw.

I think that there are bigger priorities in the LA metro than adding walkability around Union Station.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 5:48 AM

But why shouldn't it be done when it can be just because ladot is stuck in the 70's?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 4:07 PM

Fine, it can be done. I just don't see what the major attractions are in the area besides Olvera St.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 8:34 PM

That is such a shame. This improvement to walking in the area could have continued towards the waterfall fountain up the hill. Then towards the Chinatown dragon gate 1 minute walk from Olvera Street.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 7:50 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

So, this is kind of significant.

Quote:
Metro Narrows its Options for the Crenshaw Line Extension to Hollywood

Repeated delays have pushed the anticipated opening date of Metro's Crenshaw/LAX Line back to 2021. But while the 8.5-mile light rail line's debut may remain on the horizon, transportation officials are now considering which path the train should take on its voyage north to Hollywood.

Later this month, the Metro Board of Directors is scheduled to vote to initiate an environmental impact report for the proposed extension, which was allocated $2.3 billion under the 2016 Measure M expenditure plan.

Drawing on recommendations from a report submitted by engineering firm AECOM, the environmental study will consider three potential alignments (La Brea, Fairfax, and San Vicente Hybrid Option 2, discarding an earlier concept which would have routed trains east toward Koreatown. Instead, each of the proposed options call for the Crenshaw Line to run through Mid-Wilshire and West Hollywood toward a new terminus at Hollywood/Highland Station - and potentially the Hollywood Bowl.

https://urbanize.la/post/metro-narro...sion-hollywood

The three alternatives and a few notes:

1) The La Brea alignment would have a station at Beverly.
2) The dashed segment along La Cienega should be ignored.
3) Ridership projections per the report (click link):

La Brea: 88,380
Fairfax: 88,751
Hybrid: 89,984

4) Travel times:

La Brea: 12.4 minutes
Fairfax: 15.7 minutes
Hybrid: 20.6 minutes

5) Cost:

La Brea: $3-4.4 billion
Fairfax: $4.7-5.3 billion
Hybrid: $5.5-6.5 billion

6) Ridership per mile:

La Brea: 14,029
Fairfax: 11,094
Hybrid: 9,089

7) Cost per mile:

La Brea: $476.2-698.4 million
Fairfax: $587.5-662.5 million
Hybrid: $555.6-656.6 million

8) Cost per rider:

La Brea: $33,984-49,785
Fairfax: $52,957-59,718
Hybrid: $61,122-72,235

Last edited by Quixote; Aug 22, 2020 at 8:36 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 4:12 PM

What's with the hybrid option? How many subway stations do they need in West Hollywood?

Those three additional stops are tempting though (roughly at Beverly Center, Pacific Design Center and Sunset Strip), but I wouldn't hold my breath for it. That's a very ambitious plan.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 4:57 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ I don't think there are too many stations. This is an area with major walkability potential, and the stations are spaced a mile apart (half-mile would be more ideal).

WeHo cast an 86% vote in favor of Measure R back in 2008, which was by far the biggest show of support of any LA County municipality, so the hybrid option is a political concession. An HRT line was originally planned, but was ultimately shelved due to it not being cost-competitive enough for federal funds (I disagree).

The Transport Politic

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation